HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Piers Morgan, Immigrant W...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Mon Dec 24, 2012, 01:28 PM

Piers Morgan, Immigrant With Job No American Wants, Faces Deportation

Last week, Morgan criticized the gun policies in his unfamiliar land. Losing his temper, he even called one gun-rights advocate an "unbelievably stupid man."

Suddenly, Americans took note of Morgan's 9 p.m. show. The Drudge Report pointed out in a headline that the foreign-born Morgan had criticized the country where he is allowed to live and work. The outcry was swift.

The White House offers a petition process that allows Americans to directly reach out to the president on some of the most important issues of the day. Some petitions, like those seeking to help children with cancer or more jobless benefits for people in need, might receive only a few hundred signatures.

But thousands of Americans sprung to action when they learned of the European views Morgan had expressed in America.

Their desire to protect their borders from dissent was so strong that they started a petition to deport Morgan back to his homeland. It has received some 32,000 signatures -- more than the 25,000 needed to draw an official response from the government.

Now Morgan faces a test: Should he go back to toiling in quiet obscurity? Or dare to stand up for his beliefs?

http://www.thewrap.com/tv/column-post/piers-morgan-immigrant-job-few-americans-want-faces-deportation-analysis-70666

21 replies, 1373 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 21 replies Author Time Post
Reply Piers Morgan, Immigrant With Job No American Wants, Faces Deportation (Original post)
AlphaCentauri Dec 2012 OP
earthside Dec 2012 #1
Fumesucker Dec 2012 #3
byeya Dec 2012 #2
Orangepeel Dec 2012 #4
ProgressiveProfessor Dec 2012 #5
RetroLounge Dec 2012 #7
ProgressiveProfessor Dec 2012 #10
RetroLounge Dec 2012 #11
ProgressiveProfessor Dec 2012 #14
RetroLounge Dec 2012 #19
Chorophyll Dec 2012 #12
ProgressiveProfessor Dec 2012 #15
RetroLounge Dec 2012 #20
Tommy_Carcetti Dec 2012 #6
Erose999 Dec 2012 #8
ProgressiveProfessor Dec 2012 #16
mrsadm Dec 2012 #9
Chorophyll Dec 2012 #13
hfojvt Dec 2012 #17
indepat Dec 2012 #18
ProgressiveProfessor Dec 2012 #21

Response to AlphaCentauri (Original post)

Mon Dec 24, 2012, 01:33 PM

1. Proves an IQ test should be required to own a gun.

This petition and its signers must be from the fascist crowd of gun-lovers ... they worship the Second Amendment, but want to shred the First Amendment.

This just proves why we need an IQ test for all people who want to own a gun in this country.

Unfortunately all this demonstrates is that the gun idolators and gun fetishists really are dumb that they cannot see their own hypocrisy and inconsistency.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to earthside (Reply #1)

Mon Dec 24, 2012, 01:38 PM

3. Could we begin with a Turing test?

I'd like to know they're not bots.

Reply to this post

Mon Dec 24, 2012, 01:35 PM

2. I don't think many of these gunsters could even spell I.Q.!

Reply to this post

Mon Dec 24, 2012, 01:44 PM

4. He "faces" deportation the same way that Texans face secession

That is, not really. Tens of thousands of fools typing a name on a website does not a real issue make.

Reply to this post

Response to Orangepeel (Reply #4)

Mon Dec 24, 2012, 01:47 PM

5. Indeed, regardless of the issue the petition covers, it is just so much online theater

Reply to this post

Response to ProgressiveProfessor (Reply #5)

Mon Dec 24, 2012, 01:50 PM

7. Online theatre performed by gun humpers

RL

Reply to this post

Response to RetroLounge (Reply #7)

Mon Dec 24, 2012, 02:15 PM

10. Same could be said of many of the petitions including those against semi autos etc

Humpers come in all stripes and flavors

Reply to this post

Response to ProgressiveProfessor (Reply #10)

Mon Dec 24, 2012, 02:18 PM

11. ProgressiveProfessor?

RL

Reply to this post

Response to RetroLounge (Reply #11)

Mon Dec 24, 2012, 02:34 PM

14. Your invocation of the "no True Scotsman" fallacy is not surprising

Last edited Mon Dec 24, 2012, 03:51 PM - Edit history (1)

I am being derisive of all the petition sites since they are ineffective and theater, nothing more in my opinion. It does make some people feel good and that is about it.

Reply to this post

Response to ProgressiveProfessor (Reply #14)

Mon Dec 24, 2012, 03:45 PM

19. of course, I feel great about it.

RL

Reply to this post

Response to ProgressiveProfessor (Reply #10)

Mon Dec 24, 2012, 02:21 PM

12. Yeah, but we've got better things than guns to hump. nt

Reply to this post

Response to Chorophyll (Reply #12)

Mon Dec 24, 2012, 02:37 PM

15. As do the vast majority of us including gun owners

Gun nuts and thugs are about the only gun humpers I know. The represent a small fraction of the gun owners. Though what follows may not be all inclusive, IME, gun owners fall into distinct groups but share some common features.
==============================
Accidental/Casual: Inherited it, used to hunt 20 years ago etc. Firearm is inactive, in a closet somewhere (unsecured) no one knows where the ammo is.

Self Defense Only: Generally a newer owner, most likely a modern semi automatic handgun. One per adult, with the occasionally a .22LR pistol for low cost practice. No long guns. Meticulous about safety and securing weapons. Likely to have a CCW and carry at least part of the time.

Hunter/Outdoorman: Shotgun(s), hunting rifles which may include semi autos depending on the age of the owner. A hand gun or two, mostly older. A .22LR would be expected. Not always secured well. Might have an AR. Maybe a self defense hand gun or shotgun. Unlikely to have a CCW

Shooting Sports: Long guns depend on the sport, shotguns for clays, rifles for other kinds of shooting. An AR format rifle would be expected. Lots of handguns if a competitor there, otherwise 2-3 would be about the norm. .22LR rifles and pistol would also be there. Maybe a historic piece or two. Cowboy shooters also have a different mix, mostly reproductions of antique designs. Tend to be organized and keeps thing secured. May or may not have a CCW

Collector: Lots of weapons, mostly older, depends on the period of interest. Instead of 44Magnum with a laser sight, you might find a Webley or a SA Colt. Like most shooters .22LR and an AR would not be unusual. Tends to have some in display cases vice safes. Unlikely to have a CCW

Survivalist: Heavy focus on military style weapons with multiple copies within a family. Would also have shotguns, long range rifle, and .22LR weapons. Tend to secure things well and often wants to fly under the radar. Many hide it from friends and even family. Will have a CCW if its available and carries.

Gun Nuts: Different from the above since they focus on guns and not other activities. Rarer than some here think in that their lives revolve around guns. A Hunter type might wear camo in the field. These guys wear camo underwear. These types tend to have diverse and growing collections, without a lot of duplicates. Very big into accessorizing in addition to getting lots of firearms. Tends to secure them but also distributes a few for easy reach. Scary to most other gun owners. Will have a CCW if its available and carries.

Thugs/Criminals: Guns are integral to gang life, they are not called gang bangers for nothing. Guns are a statement of who they are but there goal is respect etc. They have modern pistols, mostly of better quality. Occasional semi auto rifles. All weapons possessed illegally and either stolen or straw purchased. Carries without a CCW. Poorly trained. Most dangerous of all groups and responsible for most gun violence in the country.

I am sure there are more groups that I could enumerate, but that is what comes to mind at the moment.
====================
Some thoughts on the above: Current numbers of households with firearms are mostly based on self identification, which is always questionable. I believe that about 40-60% of American households having firearms, somewhere close to half. However the number of ones with active shooters is no more than 30%, quite possibly less. This is as much based on my experience than any scientific polls.

Its clear to me than numbers alone or the possession of one kind of firearm or another is not a primary indicator of gun nuttery or which group a person falls into. Its a fair bet that a trap or skeet shooter has many shotguns, but what else they have is impossible to tell. A collector with every WWI bolt action every made probably has an AR as well. Just about every gun owner has has some kind of .22LR.

One thing is clear, is that outside of the first two groups, anyone who is comfortable with firearms and likes using them is going to have a growing collection over time. Most don't sell anything they own. I fall into that category. I have never sold a weapon once I owned it. Its a hassle and I did not want the responsibility and liability. Easier just to move it to the back of the safe. That is changing for me now.

So in summary, there are many different types of gun owners, and most of them IME are not gun nuts (which clearly do exist). The issue is not number, or kind, but intent and attitude.Those not familiar with the different groups lump them all together. That is dumb, but it is happening with increasing frequency ("all gun owners have blood on their hands"). It polarizes the debate and ultimately reduces the opportunity for effective dialog and reform.

Reply to this post

Response to ProgressiveProfessor (Reply #15)

Mon Dec 24, 2012, 03:46 PM

20. Does the NRA teach you guys how to copy and paste

RL

Reply to this post

Mon Dec 24, 2012, 01:48 PM

6. So wait, now critizing Larry Pratt of GOA is somehow "critizing the country"?

You've got to fucking kidding me!

And you thought Dixie Chicking was ridiculous!

Reply to this post

Mon Dec 24, 2012, 01:51 PM

8. It ain't like Obama ever really reads those petitions. I've probably signed hundereds of them.

Reply to this post

Response to Erose999 (Reply #8)

Mon Dec 24, 2012, 03:03 PM

16. Exactly my point up thread

Reply to this post

Mon Dec 24, 2012, 01:57 PM

9. NO ONE is going to deport this guy. <eom>

Reply to this post

Mon Dec 24, 2012, 02:22 PM

13. 2nd Amendment good! 1st Amendment bad!

::waves arms like Frankenstein monster::

Reply to this post

Mon Dec 24, 2012, 03:16 PM

17. I am pretty sure I'd be willing to take his job

Does he make less than $35,000 a year for working ten hours a week on a show nobody watches?

I'd be willing to do a TV show for that much. In a heartbeat. Where do I sign?

Hell, even a radio show.

Reply to this post

Mon Dec 24, 2012, 03:28 PM

18. If Piers Morgan wants to live and work in America, he'll just have to take his chances like all

the rest of us and hope he is not gunned down by someone carrying a weapon of mass carnage.

Reply to this post

Response to indepat (Reply #18)

Mon Dec 24, 2012, 03:52 PM

21. It is highly likely he has some form of private security

And has access to firearms himself. That would be typical at his income level.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread