HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Army to send troops to 35...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Mon Dec 24, 2012, 11:57 AM

Army to send troops to 35 African nations next year

WASHINGTON (AP) - A U.S. Army brigade will begin sending small teams into as many as 35 African nations early next year, part of an intensifying Pentagon effort to train countries to battle extremists and give the U.S. a ready and trained force to dispatch to Africa if crises requiring the U.S. military emerge.

The teams will be limited to training and equipping efforts, and will not be permitted to conduct military operations without specific, additional approvals from the secretary of defense.

The sharper focus on Africa by the U.S. comes against a backdrop of widespread insurgent violence across North Africa, and as the African Union and other nations discuss military intervention in northern Mali.

The terror threat from al-Qaida linked groups in Africa has been growing steadily, particularly with the rise of the extremist Islamist sect Boko Haram in Nigeria. Officials also believe that the Sept. 11 attack on the U.S. consulate in Benghazi, which killed the ambassador and three other Americans, may have been carried out by those who had ties to al-Qaida in the Islamic Maghreb.

http://www2.counton2.com/news/2012/dec/24/army-send-troops-africa-early-next-year-ar-5232462/

5 replies, 784 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 5 replies Author Time Post
Reply Army to send troops to 35 African nations next year (Original post)
The Straight Story Dec 2012 OP
Enrique Dec 2012 #1
Recursion Dec 2012 #2
jwirr Dec 2012 #3
amandabeech Dec 2012 #4
jwirr Dec 2012 #5

Response to The Straight Story (Original post)

Mon Dec 24, 2012, 12:00 PM

1. someone should ask Dinesh D'Souza about this

this doesn't seem like something a radical anticolonialist would do.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Mon Dec 24, 2012, 12:08 PM

2. And the Africa pendulum swings back again

We've been jumping into and out of Africa every few years since I was a Lance Corporal. No strategy, no long term view. Even with an Africa Command, it hasn't gotten better.

Reply to this post

Mon Dec 24, 2012, 12:09 PM

3. Forgive me if I do not believe that this is for their sake.

Reply to this post

Response to jwirr (Reply #3)

Mon Dec 24, 2012, 12:41 PM

4. It is probably to counter the Chinese,

who are buying up agricultural land and natural resources in Africa like mad. And not to the benefit of the regular people of Africa.

Reply to this post

Response to amandabeech (Reply #4)

Mon Dec 24, 2012, 06:46 PM

5. No I cannot see either China or us doing it for the sake of the African people. Money is the bottom

line in both of our countries.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread