HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » But without my guns, FEMA...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Sun Dec 23, 2012, 09:45 PM

But without my guns, FEMA will take me to a death camp.

Sounds Insane huh? I know too many sorry paranoid Rushbotic ego damaged racists homophobic tea bag second amendment libertarian types who KNOW that FEMA is laying tracks and building camps (from plans once used by Hitler) to impound them for not accepting this food stamp black panther sodomy environmental lifestyle.

There are cameras and microphones everywhere!

This is what I hear from just plain folks at the grocery store and post office.

They are not sane, and they are not giving up. Wayne LaPierre is their hero as much as we admire Bernie Sanders.

Sorry folks, theses crazies are here to stay. They are the Frankenstienian products of years of Rush, Hannity, O'Rielly, Savage, Coulter, et. al.

Sleep tight. Salinan

15 replies, 1241 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread

Response to salinen (Original post)

Sun Dec 23, 2012, 09:48 PM

1. Sad, but these folks would probably consider it a great privlege to lick

LaPierre's boots clean. Crazies is right, they are near zombies, but just aren't aware of their zombie-hood.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Sun Dec 23, 2012, 09:51 PM

2. Don't worry. They aren't "Death Camps". They're just internment camps.

We at the HSA/FEMA centcom like to refer to them as "Happy Camps".

You'll like them. No guns are allowed among the "residents".

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 23, 2012, 09:58 PM

3. Actually it is a rational conclusion if...

...one accepts their basic premise.

Actually the truth is a lot scarier. It's not that guns keep a tyrannical state from kidnapping you. It's more like guns cannot protect you from a tyrannical kidnapping you. Once someone decides you are an "enemy combatant" you can end up in Saudi Arabia with a car battery attached to your genitals and no one will even know where you are.

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 23, 2012, 10:04 PM

4. And they get trained early.

Can you believe this story. High school buddies, just four years out of school and a young right-winger decides to destroy what's left of their friendship over philosophical differences. When one of them posts a comment in favor of Walmart workers on their facebook page, the right-winger blasts them because we're paying for them to stand on the street.

The girl who told me this commented, "I just don't get it. She lives with her parents and only works at Publix once a week."

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 23, 2012, 10:12 PM

5. Here in Tennessee, the big concern is over the United Nations,

or the "North American Union", or some such bullshit. They REALLY don't like the president -- which would be OK, if was over something that made sense, or over something that was real.

Reply to this post

Response to cheapdate (Reply #5)

Sun Dec 23, 2012, 10:24 PM

7. What part of TN are you in? Because I don't see that here.

Of course, I am in Mid TN where attitudes are much different from the rest of the State.

Reply to this post

Response to NashvilleLefty (Reply #7)

Mon Dec 24, 2012, 10:54 AM

15. My job takes me all around the state,

often to rural areas. Out West around Gibson county (where those two young men were arrested for an assassination plot) there is a fictional/historical "kingdom" -- known as the Kingdom of Skullbonia. It sounds ridiculous but I've known grown adults that take it seriously. Concern over the United Nations is widespread in this part of the state.

I've stood in front of the courthouse in Murfreesboro, TN and argued with idiot "Minutemen" who declared that Bill Clinton had signed a secret pact with Mexico and Canada that ceded U.S. sovereignty over vast portions of the United States -- while then candidate for state rerresentative Joe Carr (R-naturally) stood there and tacitly agreed with them that huge areas of the U.S. Southwest were "no go zones" for caucasion Americans.

I've listened to idiots in Bedford County argue that the white man is the most oppressed group in America.

I've been to rallies and counter-rallies over the Islamic Center of Murfreesboro and listened to (presumably) college educated adults inform the crowds that the Muslims were trying to build a terrorist training center in Murfreesboro in order to destroy our way of life.

Maybe the stupid isn't as strong where you live, but it's strong out in the country.

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 23, 2012, 10:17 PM

6. There just might be lots more mental illness than we know.

it is hard to conceive so many are not to tell the difference in lies and truth, they follow the talking points and never check the sources. When I hear words coming from Hannity, Rush or their buddies I just look and laugh. There are the same type followers who burned to death in Waco.

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 23, 2012, 10:30 PM

8. Here I thought we had to be armed for the impending UN invasion.

Are my local nuts that out of touch?

Maybe they're just the elite of the wackadoodle gun enthusiast?

Reply to this post

Response to LiberalMadeline (Reply #9)

Sun Dec 23, 2012, 10:45 PM

12. Well, if that's what you think, grab hold of something and get to work!

Grab hold of a topic, I meant.

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 23, 2012, 10:40 PM

10. Find the right moment to challenge, after listening. Example this afternoon:

lady I know who doesn't have cable, but listens to a lot of folks talking about what they have heard "as true" (ala on fox news.) I am generally polite, and only partially engage in the conversation when politics comes up.

But this afternoon - she was drawing comparisons between Lincoln (all that is good) and Obama (all that is bad). She said that Obama wants to make us unsafe. I asked "How?" She said that he wants to get rid of the Marines. I said: "That's not true." She paused. I said that I read broadly and had never read such a thing. Then I added that I thought he was politically savvy (she agreed - but for her this wasn't a good thing). I said that it appeared that military votes had increased for Obama in the recent elections (not sure about this), and that while he may be fine with cutting some weapons systems - and HLS military industrial complex spending (which I looped back to), I affirmed that he has never proposed cutting support to the military or to the VA.

This opened up a whole different conversation about military contractors, fraud, and her saying "we never learn" - ala this was a lesser, but already huge problem in the 80s. I cite Ike, and move towards the problem with "money = speech" by the Supreme Court - such that someone with millions to spend has an outsized impact compared to someone's whose speech includes just their vocal chords or writing to the paper.

The whole conversation changed. Her anti-Obama rant dissipated. She even acknowledged that it was hard to know what was true anymore (and this is indeed true.)

Why did I make headway? I weeded through many conversations over the past couple of years. Was polite and disengaged when the political conversation got crazy - or tried to redirect the conversation out of the crazy area. I had established respect in the conversation. Today was the first time I said: That's not true. She couldn't back it up. I saw an opening. I took it. I kept the conversation respectful to her.

She ended the conversation with reiterating how hard it was to tell what information one heard was true or not. She had long dropped her strident contention that Obama was going to end/gut the Marine Corps.

Sometimes one can make a small chink in the armor of crazy conservatism.

Reply to this post

Response to salin (Reply #10)

Sun Dec 23, 2012, 11:37 PM

13. Keep up the good work

salin.

Reply to this post

Response to salinen (Reply #13)

Mon Dec 24, 2012, 12:03 AM

14. you, too

salinen.

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 23, 2012, 10:41 PM

11. If not the death camps, then the death panels.

If not the death panels, then the U.N. will be gunning for your unarmed ass.

Beware! Trust no one!

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread