HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Clinton Pledges Funds to ...

Sun Dec 23, 2012, 07:55 PM

Clinton Pledges Funds to Add Police to Schools

From the L.A. Times, April 16, 2000

WASHINGTON Marking the first anniversary of the shooting deaths at Columbine High School, President Clinton announced $120 million in new federal grants Saturday to place more police officers in schools and help even the youngest kids cope with their problems.

"In our national struggle against youth violence we must not fail our children; our future depends on it," the president said in his weekly radio address.

Clinton also unveiled the $60-million fifth round of funding for "COPS in School," a Justice Department program that helps pay the costs of placing police officers in schools to help make them safer for students and teachers. The money will be used to provide 452 officers in schools in more than 220 communities.

"Already, it has placed 2,200 officers in more than 1,000 communities across our nation, where they are heightening school safety as well as coaching sports and acting as mentors and mediators for kids in need," Clinton said.

7 replies, 1558 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 7 replies Author Time Post
Reply Clinton Pledges Funds to Add Police to Schools (Original post)
Flatulo Dec 2012 OP
Scootaloo Dec 2012 #1
Flatulo Dec 2012 #2
Scootaloo Dec 2012 #5
Flatulo Dec 2012 #3
ComplimentarySwine Dec 2012 #6
Flatulo Dec 2012 #7
HiPointDem Dec 2012 #4

Response to Flatulo (Original post)

Sun Dec 23, 2012, 08:00 PM

1. Look for more stories of third-graders getting tazed n/t

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Scootaloo (Reply #1)

Sun Dec 23, 2012, 08:04 PM

2. This story is 12 years old. nt

Reply to this post

Response to Flatulo (Reply #2)

Sun Dec 23, 2012, 08:54 PM

5. Missed that, thanks n/t

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 23, 2012, 08:20 PM

3. Interestingly, Repubs crucified this plan at the time, worried about police state. nt

Reply to this post

Response to Flatulo (Reply #3)

Sun Dec 23, 2012, 10:28 PM

6. It looks like both sides

base their decisions more on the messenger than the message.

Reply to this post

Response to ComplimentarySwine (Reply #6)

Sun Dec 23, 2012, 11:29 PM

7. Indeed.

Clinton cops in schools = good
NRA cops in schools = bad

To be fair, I think the NRA proposal was a bit more sweeping than Clinton's, calling for cops in *every* school. And maybe not even cops, but also armed volunteers?

At risk of getting flamed, it seems to me that the "more guns in schools will not solve the school violence problem" refrain is a bit of a non-sequitur. I mean, when there's a threat at a school, who do we call? Why, people with guns, i.e., cops. Every time.

We put cops with guns everywhere. They're on street corners, at concerts, in banks, shopping malls and airports. Why? Because people hardly ever misbehave when they're around. And to the best of my knowledge, they rarely go berserk and start shooting people, nor do their guns leap out of their holsters and discharge on their own.

But that's just me, and I'm definitely in the minority around here.

On edit: I looked into this a bit deeper, and the Clinton COPS program was mostly about community policing, and only partly about stationing them in schools. But it still seems to me that the almost universal revulsion at LaPierre's proposal is a response to the man, not the message.

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 23, 2012, 08:30 PM

4. boxer, clinton, wing-nuts -- seems like the powers that be really want militarized schools.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread