HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » The Constitution's doomsd...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Sun Dec 23, 2012, 02:03 PM

The Constitution's doomsday provision.

Over on Freerepublic one poster wrote this and it shows why they think weapons of war must remain available to the public.

The principal purpose of the 2d Amendment is to forestall, and if need be to overthrow, incipient tyranny. It ain't about getting venison on the table. As Judge Alex Kozinski wrote,
The prospect of tyranny may not grab the headlines the way vivid stories of gun crime routinely do. But few saw the Third Reich coming until it was too late. The Second Amendment is a doomsday provision, one designed for those exceptionally rare circumstances where all other rights have failed -- where the government refuses to stand for reelection and silences those who protest; where courts have lost the courage to oppose, or can find no one to enforce their decrees. However improbable these contingencies may seem today, facing them unprepared is a mistake a free people get to make only once.

Fortunately, the Framers were wise enough to entrench the right of the people to keep and bear arms within our constitutional structure. The purpose and importance of that right was still fresh in their minds, and they spelled it out clearly so it would not be forgotten. Despite the panel's mighty struggle to erase these words, they remain, and the people themselves can read what they say plainly enough:

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Whew.
Seems to me tranquilizer guns to use on these people is more reasonable.

6 replies, 1042 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 6 replies Author Time Post
Reply The Constitution's doomsday provision. (Original post)
Kablooie Dec 2012 OP
JaneyVee Dec 2012 #1
backscatter712 Dec 2012 #4
Igel Dec 2012 #6
Turbineguy Dec 2012 #2
leftyohiolib Dec 2012 #3
rhett o rick Dec 2012 #5

Response to Kablooie (Original post)

Sun Dec 23, 2012, 02:06 PM

1. Bunch of loon's. The 2nd was to help protect the Govt from foreign tyranny. Also,

their stupid guns are no match for drones with GPS guided missiles.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to JaneyVee (Reply #1)

Sun Dec 23, 2012, 02:12 PM

4. THIS!

I couldn't have expressed it better!

"The 2nd was to help protect the Govt from foreign tyranny."

Reply to this post

Response to JaneyVee (Reply #1)

Sun Dec 23, 2012, 09:06 PM

6. Self-defense.

That can include putting down an insurrection or fighting native tribes during an attack. It can include a foreign enemy or an enemy foreign to your family.

It's a right that pre-exists the Constitution, one that should be found in some idea of natural law. The right to bear guns to be in a civilian militia (which is what you and I are in, assuming we're of age and in the US) is ultimately self-defense.

There is no right to being protected by government, like it or not. Perhaps there should be, but exactly what steps the government would have to take to take to guarantee that right is a mystery to me. One that rather scares me.

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 23, 2012, 02:07 PM

2. So the Second Amendment

was put in the Constitution in case republicans were in charge?

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 23, 2012, 02:09 PM

3. didnt the people at waco and ruby ridge believe that as well. that they were going to stand up to

govermnt when they came for them.

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 23, 2012, 02:29 PM

5. The reference to the Nazi taking over just shows ignorance.

The German people welcomed Hitler and loved him long into the war. I believe Hitler outlawed guns except for Nazi's. Seems to be some controversy about that. But in any case the German people did not recognize Hitler's assent as tyranny.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread