HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » David Gregory Shocked By ...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Sun Dec 23, 2012, 01:14 PM

David Gregory Shocked By NRA’s LaPierre: You Fly In The Face Of Common Sense

http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2012/12/23/1374631/david-gregory-shocked-by-nras-lapierre-you-fly-in-the-face-of-common-sense/

David Gregory Shocked By NRA’s LaPierre: You Fly In The Face Of Common Sense

By Adam Peck on Dec 23, 2012 at 10:51 am

During Sunday’s Meet the Press, the National Rifle Association’s Executive Vice President Wayne LaPierre sat down with host David Gregory and defended his organization’s universally panned call for armed guards to be stationed at every school in the country.

The NRA’s tone-deaf press conference on Friday has been widely criticized by all corners of the political arena, and several commentators were quick to point out that armed guards stationed at Columbine High School, Virginia Tech and Fort Hood in Texas were all unable to prevent mass shootings. But LaPierre dismissed those cases on Sunday, and said that lawmakers should be willing to try anything that might work. Anything, noted David Gregory, so long as it doesn’t involve guns and ammunition:

GREGORY:This is a matter of logic, Mr. LaPierre, because anybody watching this is going to say ‘hey wait a minute. I just heard Mr. LaPierre say that the standard is we should try anything that might reduce the violence. And you’re telling me that it’s not a matter of common sense that if you don’t have an ability to shoot off 30 rounds without reloading, that just possibly you could reduce the loss of life? Would Adam Lanza have been able to shoot as many kids if he didn’t have as much ammunition?’

LAPIERRE: I don’t buy your argument for a minute.

Watch it @ link~

NRA-ally and former Congressman Asa Hutchison was equally dismissive of a debate on gun control during an interview on ABC’s This Week. “I would make the point when it comes to more restrictions on firearms in our society…I think that is really the wrong debate to have,” he said on Sunday. Hutchison has been selected by the NRA to head their campaign to put a gun in every school

But the debate is coming. Senator Diane Feinstein (D-CA) has already promised to introduce a bill that will limit one’s ability to own assault weapons and high-capacity clips like the ones used by the shooters at Sandy Hook and Aurora Colordao this year, but LaPierre called it “”a phony piece of legislation” and said that it was “all built on lies.”

The NRA has been busy in the last few days putting out fires, and has watched as several staunch pro-gun lawmakers — like Republican Senator Susan Collins and Democratic Senator Mark Warner — have announced that they would be open to a conversation on additional regulations on the industry. And even the organization’s 4 million members are in favor of stricter regulations on who can own and purchase guns.

11 replies, 1721 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 11 replies Author Time Post
Reply David Gregory Shocked By NRA’s LaPierre: You Fly In The Face Of Common Sense (Original post)
babylonsister Dec 2012 OP
hlthe2b Dec 2012 #1
Hoyt Dec 2012 #3
dmr Dec 2012 #9
Hoyt Dec 2012 #10
napi21 Dec 2012 #11
Historic NY Dec 2012 #2
tblue Dec 2012 #6
Kber Dec 2012 #4
Major Nikon Dec 2012 #5
JaneyVee Dec 2012 #7
AnotherMcIntosh Dec 2012 #8

Response to babylonsister (Original post)

Sun Dec 23, 2012, 01:21 PM

1. Does LaPierre have family--children? grandchildren?

If so and while I would never want to see any harm to them or anyone, I fear they have a "karmic" target on their backs thanks to this horrible man and his disdain for the lives of so many....

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to hlthe2b (Reply #1)

Sun Dec 23, 2012, 01:27 PM

3. Don't know, but NRA's President's son was imprisoned for shooting at someone in road rage.

Last edited Sun Dec 23, 2012, 02:14 PM - Edit history (1)

Reply to this post

Response to Hoyt (Reply #3)

Sun Dec 23, 2012, 02:12 PM

9. I think it was his son.

There was a thread here on it yesterday.

Strange family dynamics.

Edit: To add the link: http://www.democraticunderground.com/10022056316

Reply to this post

Response to dmr (Reply #9)

Sun Dec 23, 2012, 02:16 PM

10. Thanks. That's what I meant to say. You're sure right about family dynamics.

Reply to this post

Response to hlthe2b (Reply #1)

Sun Dec 23, 2012, 02:17 PM

11. I'm surprised Gdoesn't have any links to LaPeirre's family.

I too was coureous about his family, father,wife?, kids?, etc. I did a lot of checking and came up empty. Isn't that strange?

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 23, 2012, 01:24 PM

2. What would happen if the NRA had to defend thousands of lawsuits...

and claims?

Reply to this post

Response to Historic NY (Reply #2)

Sun Dec 23, 2012, 01:48 PM

6. No kidding!

Make them pay! The only thing they love almost as much as guns is $$$.

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 23, 2012, 01:41 PM

4. But *why* don't you buy the argument, Wayne?

That is the equivalent of sticking your fingers in your ears and shouting "lalala" at the top of your voice.

As my DH said over coffee this morning, it is well past time to ignore the NRA and move forward on sensible solutions without them.

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 23, 2012, 01:43 PM

5. How can anyone be shocked by LaPierre's stupidity at this point?

It's not as if he hasn't been a moron for decades.

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 23, 2012, 01:51 PM

7. Wayne LaPierre: Lobbyist for mass murderers.

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 23, 2012, 01:59 PM

8. Karl Rove's dance partner said that?

Seriously, why would anyone watch his show anymore?

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread