HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » U.S. Shooting Deaths Sinc...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Sat Dec 22, 2012, 02:07 PM

U.S. Shooting Deaths Since Sandy Hook Top 100

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/12/21/us-shooting-deaths-sandy-hook_n_2348466.html

This week, as mourners gathered in Newtown, Conn., to bury Sandy Hook Elementary's dead, and a nation renewed its debate over guns, the shootings did not stop. The Huffington Post spent the week tracking gun-related homicides and accidents throughout the U.S., logging more than 100 from Google and Nexis searches. This is by no means a definitive tally. In 2010, there were more than twice that many homicides alone in an average week.

There were murder-suicides. One was shot in the face while sleeping, a baby sound asleep in a crib nearby. One was a grandmother on her way home from a store.

On Saturday afternoon, a 3-year-old in Guthrie, Okla., died after accidentally shooting himself in the head with a gun he found inside his aunt and uncle's house. His uncle is an Oklahoma state trooper.

"Nobody should have to go through something like that," a resident said during a candlelight vigil for the boy. An aunt at the vigil said, "We are all so close to him. My brother here visited him three times a week and my mom babysat him twice a week."

(More at the link.)

4 replies, 558 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 4 replies Author Time Post
Reply U.S. Shooting Deaths Since Sandy Hook Top 100 (Original post)
Fire Walk With Me Dec 2012 OP
fizzgig Dec 2012 #1
Journeyman Dec 2012 #2
Taitertots Dec 2012 #3
Fire Walk With Me Dec 2012 #4

Response to Fire Walk With Me (Original post)

Sat Dec 22, 2012, 02:11 PM

1. triple murder suicide just south of here early in the week

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Sat Dec 22, 2012, 02:15 PM

2. Hmm. Down this week. Usually there are 20 to 30 a day. Some sources say up to 85 per day. . .

Reply to this post

Sat Dec 22, 2012, 02:19 PM

3. We live in what could be best described as the most peaceful era in human history

Including the time prior to the invention of firearms.

Reply to this post

Response to Taitertots (Reply #3)

Sat Dec 22, 2012, 02:47 PM

4. Tell that to those injured by guns, and the families and friends of those killed by them.

Unless of course you're being sarcastic.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread