HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » U of Rhode Island prof ca...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Fri Dec 21, 2012, 09:19 PM

U of Rhode Island prof calls for Wayne LaPierre's head (rhetorically), now under threat of firing

Erik Loomis is no stranger to this blog. A gifted young scholar of US labor and environmental history, Loomis is also a blogger at Lawyers, Guns and Money...But now we must stand by Loomis’s side and speak up and out on his behalf, for he has become the target of a witch hunt, and as an untenured professor at the University of Rhode Island, he is vulnerable. Loomis needs our solidarity and support, and we must give it to him.

This past Friday, in the wake of the tremendous grief and outrage millions of people felt over the Newtown mass shooting, Loomis tweeted the following:

I was heartbroken in the first 20 mass murders. Now I want Wayne LaPierre’s head on a stick.

Wayne LaPierre is the head of the National Rifle Association. It seems obvious to us that when Loomis called for LaPierre’s head on a stick, he had in mind something like this from the Urban Dictionary: A metaphor describing retaliation or punishment for another’s wrongdoing, or public outrage against an individual or group for the same reason...

Ever since putting someone’s head on a stick ceased to be a routine form of public punishment—indeed, the last instance of it we can think of is fictional (Dickens’ A Tale of Two Cities, though it references an actual event from the French Revolution)—calling for someone’s head has been a fairly conventional way to express one’s outrage or criticism. Two months ago, for example, right-wing blogger Glenn Reynolds voiced his anger over the State Department’s lax provision of security in Benghazi by demanding, “Can we see some heads roll?” Yet that very same Glenn Reynolds is now accusing Loomis of using “eliminationist rhetoric.” Other conservative voices have joined in....

This campaign has now brought Loomis into the crosshairs of the state and his employer. Loomis has already been questioned by the Rhode Island State Police, who told him that someone had informed the FBI that Loomis had threatened LaPierre’s life. Loomis also has been hauled into a meeting with his dean...

We urge all of you to contact the following three administrators at the University of Rhode Island:

Dean Winnie Brownell: winnie@mail.uri.edu
Provost Donald DeHays: ddehayes@uri.edu
President David Dooley: davedooley@mail.uri.edu

Be polite, be civil, be firm.

http://crookedtimber.org/2012/12/19/statement-on-erik-loomis/

9 replies, 853 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 9 replies Author Time Post
Reply U of Rhode Island prof calls for Wayne LaPierre's head (rhetorically), now under threat of firing (Original post)
HiPointDem Dec 2012 OP
HiPointDem Dec 2012 #1
Report1212 Dec 2012 #2
HiPointDem Dec 2012 #6
petronius Dec 2012 #3
Report1212 Dec 2012 #4
HiPointDem Dec 2012 #5
petronius Dec 2012 #7
farminator3000 Dec 2012 #8
libdem4life Dec 2012 #9

Response to HiPointDem (Original post)

Fri Dec 21, 2012, 10:30 PM

1. all the anti-gun folks here, here's someone in trouble for speaking out & not a single rec or

comment?

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to HiPointDem (Reply #1)

Fri Dec 21, 2012, 10:42 PM

2. I support Loomis

And I wrote to the univ staff

Reply to this post

Response to Report1212 (Reply #2)

Fri Dec 21, 2012, 11:04 PM

6. +1

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 21, 2012, 10:49 PM

3. I hope they have a decent faculty union that will support him, because it's definitely

bullshit for the school to pressure or punish him for what he chooses to say in his character as a private citizen or as a scholar...

Reply to this post

Response to petronius (Reply #3)

Fri Dec 21, 2012, 10:52 PM

4. His union is supporting him

We'll see how much power it is has soon i guess.

Reply to this post

Response to petronius (Reply #3)

Fri Dec 21, 2012, 11:03 PM

5. he's non-tenured. not sure how much a faculty union can do in that case.

Reply to this post

Response to HiPointDem (Reply #5)

Fri Dec 21, 2012, 11:13 PM

7. It would certainly depend on the contract: tenure-track faculty generally will

have significant rights, as may lecturers and adjuncts depending on length of service. And the support of tenured colleagues can carry weight beyond the formal proceedings.

I hope nothing comes of it, and the Dean's meeting is just a CYA and a discussion on how to minimize end-of-semester disruption...

Reply to this post

Sat Dec 22, 2012, 12:30 AM

8. the article is short

http://news.providencejournal.com/breaking-news/2012/12/uri-professor-tweets-about-national-rifle-associationready.html

but if you read the chat under it, it sounds like he'll be ok.

i wonder if the person who ratted him out to the fbi was too dumb to understand 'figure of speech', or an NRA lawyer. or both

free publicity for the NRA, probably not as good as they'd like to think.

maybe a student who didn't like his views called the feds.

holy crap will you look at this word in bold. it boggles the mind how stupid some gun nuts are:

“Dear right-wing morons, saying you ‘want someone’s head on a stick’ is a metaphor,” wrote Loomis, according to College Insurrection. “I know metaphor is hard for you to understand.”

However, as Jim Treacher and Twitchy report, Loomis sang a much different tune in the wake of the Gabrielle Giffords shooting. At that time, he suggested that conservatives and the tea party movement in particular were wrong to use violent rhetoric.

“The whole Tea Party movement loses here because a lot of Americans are flinching in the face of the violent rhetoric that propelled them to power,” Loomis wrote after Jared Loughner allegedly shot Giffords outside a Safeway grocery store in Casas Adobes, Arizona.

http://dailycaller.com/2012/12/18/rhode-island-professor-demands-nra-leaders-head-on-a-stick-after-sandy-hook/#ixzz2FktabKM0

Reply to this post

Sat Dec 22, 2012, 12:37 AM

9. Twice today I found myself double-checking metaphors that before seemed so normal...

"Well, that sure puts a bullet in it."
"Another one bites the dust."

Changing consciousness

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread