HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Food stamps are exempt fr...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Fri Dec 21, 2012, 06:18 AM

Food stamps are exempt from sequestration. Here's a summary of what the 'fiscal cliff' entails:

The $54.7 billion in annual non-defense cuts would come from both mandatory (entitlement) and discretionary programs. The mandatory cuts would include:

Cuts in Medicare payments to providers and insurance plans (those cuts are limited to 2 percent of such payments in any year, or about $10.8 billion in 2013).

About $5.2 billion in cuts in the other mandatory programs that are subject to sequestration, the biggest of which is farm price supports.

A number of key mandatory programs are exempt from sequestration, including Social Security, Medicaid, CHIP, SNAP (formerly known as the Food Stamp Program), child nutrition, Supplemental Security Income (SSI), refundable tax credits such as the Earned Income Tax Credit, veterans' benefits, and federal retirement.

Thus, in 2013 about $16.1 billion of the $54.7 billion in annual non-defense cuts would come from mandatory programs. This share would grow from year to year, reaching $22 billion by 2021.

The remaining non-defense cuts about $38.6 billion in 2013 would come from discretionary programs:

For fiscal year 2013, the non-defense cuts would occur through across-the-board, proportional reductions in new funding for each discretionary program in the appropriations bills for the fiscal year, which Congress would already have enacted. (Veterans' medical care and Pell grants would be exempt from those cuts.)

For fiscal years 2014 through 2021, the cuts would occur through reductions in the statutory cap on total funding for non-defense discretionary programs for each of those years. The Appropriations Committees would then decide how to live within those newly reduced caps.

The $38.6 billion reduction in the non-defense discretionary caps would shrink from year to year, to $33 billion by 2021, because the mandatory cuts would grow and thus would account for somewhat more each year of the $54.7 billion in total non-defense cuts.

http://www.cbpp.org/cms/index.cfm?fa=view&id=3557

more at link

The cuts to Medicare providers and insurers come on top of similar cuts in 2005. At some point such cuts are guaranteed to make Medicare useless.

Another render it dysfunctional & privatize it move.

6 replies, 966 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 6 replies Author Time Post
Reply Food stamps are exempt from sequestration. Here's a summary of what the 'fiscal cliff' entails: (Original post)
HiPointDem Dec 2012 OP
John2 Dec 2012 #1
dixiegrrrrl Dec 2012 #2
GeorgeGist Dec 2012 #3
dixiegrrrrl Dec 2012 #5
OldDem2012 Dec 2012 #4
HiPointDem Dec 2012 #6

Response to HiPointDem (Original post)

Fri Dec 21, 2012, 07:31 AM

1. I like the

sequestrian spending cuts, than what I have seen so far. The only thing I would do is put back the middle class tax cuts and provide spending for infrastructure. I would cut out the loop holes for Romney too. If he put a tariff on companies taking jobs out of this country, will raise revenues also. Someone needs to have the guts to draw down the military period and find these guys jobs in the economy. ome can become police or work border patrol, but the military needs to draw down.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Fri Dec 21, 2012, 08:25 AM

2. My dr. office has already doubled office visit costs in anticipation of Medicare cuts.

Medicare limits the co-pay to 20% of the cost they do not pay.
So by doubling the cost of an office visit, the 20% I pay is now doubled, according to the last bill I got.

In reality, I pay even more, since the deductible is now 147.00, and I usually see the doc once a year now.
So I pay the full dr visit annually PLUS the 115.00 monthly for Medicare B premium.

Reply to this post

Response to dixiegrrrrl (Reply #2)

Fri Dec 21, 2012, 08:44 AM

3. You're overpaying on part B.

T he 2012 is 99.90.

Reply to this post

Response to GeorgeGist (Reply #3)

Fri Dec 21, 2012, 09:56 AM

5. I am paying the 10% penatly because I did not sign up at age 65.

For various reasons.

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 21, 2012, 08:50 AM

4. Thank you very much for spelling out the details....very helpful.

Reply to this post

Response to OldDem2012 (Reply #4)

Fri Dec 21, 2012, 06:17 PM

6. facts are good.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread