HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » mexico's maya heartland a...

Fri Dec 21, 2012, 04:50 AM

mexico's maya heartland awaits dawn of new era

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/L/LT_MEXICO_MAYAN_CALENDAR_2012?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2012-12-21-01-55-23

People gather in front of the Kukulkan Pyramid in Chichen Itza, Mexico, Thursday, Dec. 20, 2012. American seer Star Johnsen-Moser led a whooping, dancing, drum-beating ceremony Thursday in the heart of Mayan territory to consult several of the life-sized crystal skulls, which adherents claim were passed down by the ancient Maya. (AP Photo/Israel Leal)

MERIDA, Mexico (AP) -- In the darkness before dawn Friday, spiritualists prepared white clothes, drums, conch shells and incense ahead of the sunrise they believe will herald the birth of a new and better age as a vast, 5,125-year cycle in the Mayan calendar comes to an end.

No one was quite sure at what time the Mayas' 13th Baktun would officially end on this Dec. 21. Some think it already ended at midnight Thursday. Others looked to Friday's dawn here in the Maya heartland. Some had later times in mind.

"Wait until the dawn on the 22nd; that is when we Maya will speak," Nobel Peace Prize laureate Rigoberta Menchu said earlier in Guatemala, another Maya area.

Mexico's National Institute of Anthropology and History even suggested that historical calculations to synchronize the Mayan and Western calendars might be off a few days. It said the Mayan Long Count calendar cycle might not really end until Sunday.

3 replies, 500 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 3 replies Author Time Post
Reply mexico's maya heartland awaits dawn of new era (Original post)
xchrom Dec 2012 OP
Arcanetrance Dec 2012 #1
MFM008 Dec 2012 #2
bklyncowgirl Dec 2012 #3

Response to xchrom (Original post)

Fri Dec 21, 2012, 04:59 AM

1. Am I the only one who feels like there's a mass Kool aid moment coming with some of these people

Some are so quick to embrace the idea of the end. It's not like every year we end a calendar

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Fri Dec 21, 2012, 05:16 AM

2. we can only hope

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 21, 2012, 06:32 AM

3. I wish I was down in Chichen Itza.

Sitting in the bar which, if I remember correctly, overlooks the site with a beer in my hand just to watch the crazy show. I always liked the Mayan people. I hope the people around there are making tons of money off the foreign nut jobs.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread