HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Gun Sales Escalate After ...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Fri Dec 21, 2012, 03:40 AM

Gun Sales Escalate After Mass Shootings

http://www.cnbc.com/id/100331181

At Freedom Firearms in Fort Wayne, Indiana there is hardly anything left in the store. Managing partner Angie Freeland told CNBC sales have "gone through the roof". With little left to sell, she will probably close for what is typically her busiest day of the year, December 24.

"It started on Monday with the AR-15s going out the door," she said. "Once those were gone they were buying anything with a high capacity magazine."

The rush to buy guns comes in the wake of last Friday's massacre in Newtown, CT. Twenty year old Adam Lanza shot twenty children between the ages of six and seven, and six adults at Sandy Hook Elementary School. He killed them all with a semi-automatic rifle made by Bushmaster called the AR-15, before killing himself with a handgun. (Read More: Obama Consoles Connecticut Town, Vows Effort to Tame Violence)

The year-end surge in sales comes at the end of what gun retailers describe as a very strong year. Fears the re-election of President Obama would result in stricter gun laws drove those numbers for the first eleven months of 2011. Now the December surge could be halted by a lack of supply. Parro said he is low on inventory but cannot get through to his distributors, and Freedom Firearm's Freeland said the seven or eight distributors she deals with around the country, are all out of inventory.

For the last month Jerry McCall has hung a sign outside his store, Texas Guns, in San Antonio, Texas reading "Get Your AKs and ARs before the ban." The sign referrs to the assault rifle the AK-47, and the AR-15, and his belief that a re-elected Obama would prevent future purchases of them. McCall said he has sold everything on his wall, along with all his ARs and AKs in stock. He said the twelve distributors who supply him with these guns are out of stock too.

8 replies, 894 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 8 replies Author Time Post
Reply Gun Sales Escalate After Mass Shootings (Original post)
dkf Dec 2012 OP
villager Dec 2012 #1
Fumesucker Dec 2012 #2
aandegoons Dec 2012 #3
Pholus Dec 2012 #4
dkf Dec 2012 #5
Pholus Dec 2012 #8
LeftinOH Dec 2012 #6
Odin2005 Dec 2012 #7

Response to dkf (Original post)

Fri Dec 21, 2012, 03:42 AM

1. Which tells you, really, what sick fucks gun worshippers are

As if that wasn't already apparent, I mean.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Fri Dec 21, 2012, 03:44 AM

2. Yes, gunners are ghouls

No one but a class A ghoul would run out and specifically buy a weapon that has just been used to slaughter a couple of classrooms full of first graders.

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 21, 2012, 06:00 AM

3. When you look at this.

It is easy to see that there is just something wrong with nutters of all persuasions. Be they religious, gunners, or republicans.

Fear is a powerful tool. Especially when it has been driven into a populous for a fair amount of time. Make no mistake it is not a coincidence that the three groups I listed are the one's who use it most readily.

When you think of it the Republics even use all the groups that use fear to control their flocks.

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 21, 2012, 08:50 AM

4. What is really sad...

will be the number of kids whose Christmas will be diminished as their parents' dollars flow to gun dealers who no doubt are raising prices because of "demand." The entire Christmas budget in our household is only about the cost of one of these things. And I think our finances have to be comparable to most.

Anyway, once again confirming my opinion about the worst of these people. Guns uber alles.

Reply to this post

Response to Pholus (Reply #4)

Fri Dec 21, 2012, 09:14 AM

5. I guess that will be theirs to inherit.

Sad but it could be considered an investment.

Reply to this post

Response to dkf (Reply #5)

Fri Dec 21, 2012, 02:41 PM

8. Seen this in my family. Gunloon relative hasn't died fast enough.

Kids grew up in rags, house a dump, but a $45000 gun collection (15 years back the last time we talked).

Some investment.

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 21, 2012, 09:18 AM

6. The gun culture has flooded letters to the editor everywhere:

"It's not about guns", they say. They say it's about the breakdown of society, or the lack of religion in the public schools, or the worst excuse of all... the fact that teachers were't armed.

The nationwide gun-sucker reaction to this tragedy is disgusting.

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 21, 2012, 09:35 AM

7. "Freedom Firearms"???

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread