HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » When you can take a breat...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Thu Dec 20, 2012, 10:41 PM

When you can take a breather from the fiscal cliff, read this article from yesterday's WP very, very

carefully. I will say no more except, even our President doesn't know what is going on in the neo-con shadow government,

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/civilian-analysts-gained-petraeuss-ear-while-he-was-commander-in-afghanistan/2012/12/18/290c0b50-446a-11e2-8061-253bccfc7532_story.html

A clear and present danger.

13 replies, 1050 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 13 replies Author Time Post
Reply When you can take a breather from the fiscal cliff, read this article from yesterday's WP very, very (Original post)
kelliekat44 Dec 2012 OP
Bigmack Dec 2012 #1
riderinthestorm Dec 2012 #2
kelliekat44 Dec 2012 #7
dballance Dec 2012 #3
starroute Dec 2012 #4
Mojorabbit Dec 2012 #5
PuraVidaDreamin Dec 2012 #6
kelliekat44 Dec 2012 #8
riderinthestorm Dec 2012 #9
kelliekat44 Dec 2012 #10
kelliekat44 Dec 2012 #11
JDPriestly Dec 2012 #12
kelliekat44 Dec 2012 #13

Response to kelliekat44 (Original post)

Thu Dec 20, 2012, 10:57 PM

1. That guy...

...must have leaked like a sieve.

Pillow talk with his young girlfriend... buddying up with the Kagans....

What was he saying.... telling... listening ... about?

We need to get control of these generals.

Sounds like the declining years of the Roman Empire... the weirds and the generals plotting and planning.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Thu Dec 20, 2012, 11:12 PM

2. Breathtaking collusion exposed by our MIC and the top elite.

Huge K&R. A must read for DUers

A bit more from the article: http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/civilian-analysts-gained-petraeuss-ear-while-he-was-commander-in-afghanistan/2012/12/18/290c0b50-446a-11e2-8061-253bccfc7532_story.html

"Frederick and Kimberly Kagan, a husband-and-wife team of hawkish military analysts, put their jobs at influential Washington think tanks on hold for almost a year to work for Gen. David H. Petraeus when he was the top U.S. commander in Afghanistan. Provided desks, e-mail accounts and top-level security clearances in Kabul, they pored through classified intelligence reports, participated in senior-level strategy sessions and probed the assessments of field officers in order to advise Petraeus about how to fight the war differently.

Their compensation from the U.S. government for their efforts, which often involved 18-hour workdays, seven days a week and dangerous battlefield visits?

Zero dollars.

Although Fred Kagan said he and his wife wanted no pay in part to remain “completely independent,” the extraordinary arrangement raises new questions about the access and influence Petraeus accorded to civilian friends while he was running the Afghan war.

Petraeus allowed his biographer-turned-paramour, Paula Broadwell, to read sensitive documents and accompany him on trips. But the entree granted the Kagans, whose think-tank work has been embraced by Republican politicians, went even further. The four-star general made the Kagans de facto senior advisers, a status that afforded them numerous private meetings in his office, priority travel across the war zone and the ability to read highly secretive transcripts of intercepted Taliban communications, according to current and former senior U.S. military and civilian officials who served in the headquarters at the time.

Reply to this post

Response to riderinthestorm (Reply #2)

Fri Dec 21, 2012, 08:25 AM

7. Thanks!

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 21, 2012, 12:02 AM

3. Didn't Want to be Seen Profiting from the War - UTTER BS

“'There are actual patriots in the world,' Fred Kagan said. 'It was very important to me not to be seen to be profiting from the war.'”

Yeah, right. Because spending that much with the commanding general in the ME as special advisors sure isn't going to get you any plum speaking or writing engagements. No, it won't help your foundations rake in bigger bucks either.

Hell, taking ZERO was simply a good investment on their part. But terribly transparent to anyone with a brain.

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 21, 2012, 01:30 AM

4. What bothered me most was the Kagans being funded by Dyncorp and CACI

The Kagans were able to spend a year in Afghanistan without pay because their think-tanks back home were being lavishly funded by defense contractors who stood to profit from the arrangement. The two specifically thanked by Kimberly Kagan were Dyncorp and CACI.

That's CACI as in "Abu Ghraib torture scandal" and Dyncorp as in "too many scandals to even list but start with the Balkan sex slaves."

Not only that, but since 2010, Dyncorp has been owned by Cerberus Capital -- the same venture capital firm that is now claiming it intends to sell Bushmaster and all the other gunmakers it acquired half a dozen years ago.

If Cerberus's Freedom Group is actively promoting increased gun sales at the same time as Cerberus's Dyncorp is promoting more war, more troops, and more business for military contractors -- is there really any difference?

(Well, yeah, there might be. Just maybe the Kagans didn't tell Petraeus he needed to win his "man card" by killing more Afghans.)

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 21, 2012, 02:45 AM

5. Wow. An amazing article. nt

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 21, 2012, 04:13 AM

6. This story will be their Mayan ending

If we all do our part to spread it far and wide

Reply to this post

Response to PuraVidaDreamin (Reply #6)

Fri Dec 21, 2012, 08:26 AM

8. Doesn't look like it is going anywhere on DU. Maybe Kos or HP? nt

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 21, 2012, 11:05 AM

9. Incredibly important story that needs a big am kick! nt

Reply to this post

Response to riderinthestorm (Reply #9)

Fri Dec 21, 2012, 08:07 PM

10. Well, here is a PM kick. People should be outraged first, then scared second. nt

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 23, 2012, 01:08 AM

11. This is still curddling my stomach. No meadia coverage yet.

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 23, 2012, 03:22 AM

12. I responded to this post in another forum as follows (and while I am at it, thanks for posting this)

This is shocking but confirms what I have long suspected.

Our military has its own rogue, shadow government on foreign and military policy.

The military bureaucracy is no longer subordinate to the civilian administration in many ways.

What is more, as we see in this article, individual generals can assemble their own rogue, shadow staffs.

Before we know these officially appointed officers with their unappointed staffs and their coterie of supporters and friends in Congress, the defense industry and the media may start fighting amongst themselves.

I am not predicting anything because hopefully we can stop this practice here and now, but this is certainly reminiscent but in modern terms of what happened in Rome as three generals faced off and one of them, Julius Caesar, became the dominant general and took over the government in Rome.

The military bureaucracy needs to be put in its place before it is too late.

The Founding Fathers knew the history of Rome very well. Reading the classics was the foundation of a good education at the time. Their familiarity with the history of Rome may have been one of the reasons that they did not want a standing army.

We are now stuck with a very large one -- and it appears that it may be the ticking time bomb in our so-called democracy.

This report is very disappointing.

I hope Obama does something about it. We definitely need to cut our military budget.

These people want to cut Social Security and unemployment insurance, even veterans' benefits in order to continue to fatten our bloated military budget.

They argue that reducing the deficit will increase the ratio of private to government spending in our economy. Seems to me that if you safeguard and maintain the military budget at the size it is and cut the programs you want to cut, you are actually increasing the ratio of government-related military spending compared to real civilian spending.

We will be increasing the ratio between the military portion of our private spending and the civilian portion, I think. Does anyone agree with me on this?

Reply to this post

Response to JDPriestly (Reply #12)

Sun Dec 23, 2012, 08:20 PM

13. maybe "sequester" is the way to go to cut the military? nt

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread