HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » The Sequester cuts in one...

Thu Dec 20, 2012, 09:02 PM

The Sequester cuts in one graph

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2012/09/14/the-sequester-cuts-in-one-graph/

A quick reminder of what each of these categories encompasses:

Non-exempt defense discretionary funding sees a 9.4 percent spending reduction. This covers things, such as keeping military bases open, paying salaries and research and development.
Non-exempt mandatory defense spending sees the biggest cut of 10 percent.
Non-exempt, non-defense discretionary funding gets cut by 8.2 percent. This includes anything that Congress has to authorize each year, so programs like Head Start and AIDS assistance.
Non-exempt, non-defense mandatory programs see a 7.6 percent reduction. There’s not, however, much left to cut in this category because the large mandatory programs were largely shielded from the cuts. More on that right below.
Medicare is, well, Medicare – the health insurance program for America’s seniors. The sequester specifically limited Medicare cuts to 2 percent of the program’s budget.

2 replies, 574 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply The Sequester cuts in one graph (Original post)
Mr Peabody Dec 2012 OP
muriel_volestrangler Dec 2012 #1
ComplimentarySwine Dec 2012 #2

Response to Mr Peabody (Original post)

Thu Dec 20, 2012, 09:18 PM

1. What is "mandatory defense spending"?

If it's not fairly basic things like "keeping military bases open, paying salaries and research and development", what is it? VA health spending?

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to muriel_volestrangler (Reply #1)

Thu Dec 20, 2012, 09:22 PM

2. It's my understanding

that mandatory spending is that which is required by a law passed by congress. I'm guessing that most of that is VA related.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread