HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » The Mental Illness Rights...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Thu Dec 20, 2012, 08:17 PM

The Mental Illness Rights Movement

starts right here and right now.

I am dual diagnosis. I dislike guns and violence although I'll huff and puff to attempt to keep them away from me. I am not a danger to myself and others (although you'll certainly hear about it from me if you're a danger to others).

People more eloquent than myself, including mental health workers, have been posting here in regards to the tragedy in Newtown, on behalf of the mentally ill due to ill-considered and -conceived comments and suggestions regarding the "mentally ill" en mass or even "just the violent ones". A care worker posted that the paranoid schizophrenic is the only type who is violent (perhaps as a rule, I don't know). There are many, many "types" and degrees of mental illness, some of which come and go due to situations, some of which may be tamed or negated through medication, and some which incapacitate us to varying degrees. Most folks have no concept of the suffering and stigmatism which is involved even for the most mildly affected.

It's time everyone learned. If you feel so driven, please identify yourself and even share your story or even just a shout-out in support so that people may "get" that we are first and foremost, people. Another world is possible!

17 replies, 972 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread

Response to Fire Walk With Me (Original post)

Thu Dec 20, 2012, 08:21 PM

1. The Mental Illness Rights Movement has been going on for years and years

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Drale (Reply #1)

Thu Dec 20, 2012, 08:29 PM

2. This is for DUers, even if no one replies. It is a shout of solidarity, of "not alone".

Reply to this post

Response to Fire Walk With Me (Reply #2)

Thu Dec 20, 2012, 08:30 PM

4. You are most definitely not alone!

Reply to this post

Response to Drale (Reply #1)

Thu Dec 20, 2012, 10:11 PM

10. And thank you.

Reply to this post

Thu Dec 20, 2012, 08:29 PM

3. As poster #1 pointed out there is a whole movement

already dedicated to the rights of people who are psychiatric survivors.

But I absolutely second your post, and am happy you are posting some basic truth in the face of all this speculation and bigotry.

Best wishes.

Reply to this post

Thu Dec 20, 2012, 08:34 PM

5. Beauty where you least expect it.

(No, that's not a totally random remark.)

Very best to you, Fire Walk.

Reply to this post

Thu Dec 20, 2012, 08:43 PM

6. good.

I support you. Mental illnesses aren't anything to be ashamed of. If it is out of the shadows a little more, we might find that the mentally ill people outnumber the "normal" folks.

Reply to this post

Thu Dec 20, 2012, 09:02 PM

7. long time advocate for people with disabilities here

I have Epilepsy and I think it gives me insight into mental illness and physical disabilities. My injuries over the years make me appreciate accessibility. And the treatment for a seizure disorder and mental illness is pretty much the same challenge. Balancing efficacy with side effects.
Well meaning people say things that naturally come across as bigoted towards people with disabilities, usually as a result of ignorance.
But, when it comes to mental illness, I think part of the trouble we have is we have not found language that identifies pathological behavior not due to mental illness, despite the fact that it exists. That difference is important and apparently we need to make it clear.

People seem to be attached to throwing around diagnoses as insults, and explanations. It seems we have to be vigilant in disabusing people of the falsehoods and help educate people who are receptive.

Reply to this post

Thu Dec 20, 2012, 09:07 PM

8. Recommended.

The degree and severity of ignorance about mental illness that has been expressed on this forum is outrageous. I suspect that part of it is simply uninformed people, parroting what the NRA has been injecting into the public discourse in the past week. Others may be agenda-driven.

Thanks for this OP.

Reply to this post

Thu Dec 20, 2012, 09:12 PM

9. I spend every day with "mentally ill" people. It's about as accurate a term as "physically ill".

First, I've got an advanced degree, years of post graduate training and years and years of experience. And I would never, NEVER diagnose anyone in absentia. Nor would I assume that a third party was able to give me an accurate description from which I could do anything more than speculate. The DSM IV is the best we've got but you can only diagnose symptoms, not people. People are incredibly complex and deserve respect. Two people with the same DSM IV diagnosis are different as night and day.

And btw some of the "mentally ill" I see are among the finest people I have ever known.

Reply to this post

Thu Dec 20, 2012, 10:13 PM

11. Kick and REC!!

Reply to this post

Thu Dec 20, 2012, 10:19 PM

12. I knew some people with paranoid schizophrenia.

I wouldn't say they're automatically violent.

Reply to this post

Response to Neoma (Reply #12)

Thu Dec 20, 2012, 10:27 PM

13. Perfectly said, Neoma.

Reply to this post

Response to Neoma (Reply #12)

Fri Dec 21, 2012, 10:51 AM

15. I've met some as well and easily survived the encounter. Thank you, I also have lots to learn here!

My apologies to any paranoid schizophrenics I may have inadvertently stigmatized.

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 21, 2012, 10:44 AM

14. Kick for inclusion and support.

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 21, 2012, 05:03 PM

16. Paranoid schizophrenics are not all violent by a long shot, but IMHO they are more inclined that

way because they are so terrified by their delusions and this can drive them to act out. My mom was never violent. Her inappropriate behavior took other forms.

Reply to this post

Response to kestrel91316 (Reply #16)

Fri Dec 21, 2012, 05:12 PM

17. Thank you...and I'm sorry for yours and her experiences. :(

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread