HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » ESPN commentator apologiz...

Thu Dec 20, 2012, 03:40 PM

ESPN commentator apologizes for calling RGIII ‘cornball brother’

The ESPN analyst who called Washington Redskins quarterback Robert Griffin III a “cornball brother” has apologized — a full week after his comments drew widespread condemnation.

Rob Parker, a veteran newspaper columnist who appears regularly on several ESPN television and radio shows, played the race card on ESPN’s First Take on Dec. 13, claiming that Griffin was “not really down with the cause” due to reports that he has a white fiancée and possible Republican leanings.

“I blew it and I’m sincerely sorry,” Parker wrote six days after the controversy. “I completely understand how the issue of race in sports is a sensitive one and needs to be handled with great care. This past Thursday I failed to do that. I believe the intended topic is a worthy one.”

In his statement, Parker, who has been suspended by ESPN, also praised the rookie quarterback as among the “best and brightest” in all of sports.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2012/12/20/espn-commentator-apologizes-for-calling-rgiii-cornball-brother/?test=latestnews#ixzz2Fcv0jXSS

3 replies, 678 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 3 replies Author Time Post
Reply ESPN commentator apologizes for calling RGIII ‘cornball brother’ (Original post)
proud2BlibKansan Dec 2012 OP
KansDem Dec 2012 #1
proud2BlibKansan Dec 2012 #2
hifiguy Dec 2012 #3

Response to proud2BlibKansan (Original post)

Thu Dec 20, 2012, 03:51 PM

1. This reminds me of the Fuzzy Zoeller/Tiger Woods controversy.

At the 1997 Masters tournament, Zoeller made an off-hand remark regarding Tiger Woods. After finishing tied for 34th place with a score of 78, Zoeller, referring to the following year's Masters Champions Dinner, for which the defending champion selects the menu, said, "He's doing quite well, pretty impressive. That little boy is driving well and he's putting well. He's doing everything it takes to win. So, you know what you guys do when he gets in here? You pat him on the back and say congratulations and enjoy it and tell him not to serve fried chicken next year. Got it." Zoeller then smiled, snapped his fingers, and walked away before turning and adding, "or collard greens or whatever the hell they serve." K-Mart and Dunlop ceased sponsoring Zoeller after the incident.

"I know Fuzzy, and it was obvious to me that he was attempting to be funny," number-one ranked golf pro Tom Lehman said. "He probably would have said the same thing to Tiger's face and they both would have yukked it up... it wasn't the best timing, and it wasn't in good taste. It's not appropriate."

"I've been on the tour for 23 years and anybody who knows me knows that I am a jokester," Zoeller said. "It's too bad that something I said in jest was turned into something it's not. But I didn't mean anything by it and I'm sorry if I offend anybody. If Tiger is offended by it, I apologize to him, too. I have nothing but the utmost respect for Tiger as a person and an athlete."

Zoeller later offered an apology directly to Woods, which Woods accepted.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuzzy_Zoeller

Maybe I'm naive but when you "got it made," just STFU and enjoy life!

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to KansDem (Reply #1)

Thu Dec 20, 2012, 03:57 PM

2. And Rush Limbaugh

Before McNabb led the Philadelphia Eagles to a 23-13 victory over the Buffalo Bills, Limbaugh said on ESPN's "Sunday NFL Countdown" that McNabb is overrated. However, Limbaugh injected his comment with racial overtones that have set off a controversy.

"Sorry to say this, I don't think he's been that good from the get-go," Limbaugh said. "I think what we've had here is a little social concern in the NFL. The media has been very desirous that a black quarterback do well. There is a little hope invested in McNabb, and he got a lot of credit for the performance of this team that he didn't deserve. The defense carried this team."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=1627887

Reply to this post

Response to proud2BlibKansan (Original post)

Thu Dec 20, 2012, 04:00 PM

3. I don't know what RGIII's politics are,

but every time I have heard him speak he has impressed me as being vastly smarter than the average football player of any color with a handful of exceptions like Peyton Manning. He is clearly a very intelligent young man as well as being a dynamic and exciting football talent of the first order. I do hope he's not a Repig, though.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread