HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » I'm not over it yet. Newt...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Thu Dec 20, 2012, 11:22 AM

I'm not over it yet. Newton, CT. The dead children. Their teachers.

My twins are five. I AM NOT OVER IT.

Please, please, PLEASE let this be the last massacre of innocents that has to happen before SOMETHING changes to prevent these types of incidents.

Please....

Charlotte Bacon, Age 6 Daniel Barden, Age 7 Rachel D'Avino, Age 29 Olivia Engel, Age 6 Josephine Gay, Age 7 Dawn Hochsprung, Age 47 Dylan Hockley, Age 6 Madeleine Hsu, Age 6 Catherine Hubbard, Age 6 Chase Kowalski, Age 7 Jesse Lewis, Age 6 Ana Marquez-Green, Age 6 James Mattioli, Age 6 Grace McDonnell, Age 7 Anne Marie Murphy, Age 52 Emilie Parker, Age 6 Jack Pinto, Age 6 Noah Pozner, Age 6 Caroline Previdi, Age 6 Jessica Rekos, , Age 6 Avielle Richman, Age 6 Lauren Rousseau, Age 30 Mary Sherlach, Age 56 Victoria Soto, Age 27 Benjamin Wheeler, Age 6 Allison N. Wyatt, Age 6

12 replies, 857 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 12 replies Author Time Post
Reply I'm not over it yet. Newton, CT. The dead children. Their teachers. (Original post)
IdaBriggs Dec 2012 OP
CrispyQ Dec 2012 #1
Rider3 Dec 2012 #2
Chorophyll Dec 2012 #3
Happyhippychick Dec 2012 #4
Octafish Dec 2012 #5
werknotgoin2takeit Dec 2012 #6
sanatanadharma Dec 2012 #7
Jennicut Dec 2012 #8
smirkymonkey Dec 2012 #9
nolabear Dec 2012 #10
LineNew Reply .
Liberal_in_LA Dec 2012 #11
libdem4life Dec 2012 #12

Response to IdaBriggs (Original post)

Thu Dec 20, 2012, 11:30 AM

1. I saw a commercial on TV last night,

a little kid looking forward to Christmas & I started crying.

Thank you for the list.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Thu Dec 20, 2012, 11:31 AM

2. I don't think we'll ever get over this.

Too horrific. Hug your kids and count your blessings.

Reply to this post

Thu Dec 20, 2012, 11:32 AM

3. I'm not over it yet either.

Reply to this post

Thu Dec 20, 2012, 12:37 PM

4. I'm with you!

Reply to this post

Thu Dec 20, 2012, 01:03 PM

5. I will never be over it.

Some events affect us for ever.

Some people change us for ever.

Reply to this post

Thu Dec 20, 2012, 03:37 PM

6. Neither Am I

Although, this is the first day I have felt that I wasn't going to burst into tears any minute. I want to see these names over and over again. In most killings the only name remembered is the killers. This time I want that name to be relegated to the dust bin of history and these names to be spoken and praised for years to come. Never forget!! Now MSM leave those families alone to grieve in peace.

Reply to this post

Thu Dec 20, 2012, 03:51 PM

7. Please everyone maintain your pain and rage...

...only this current feeling can mobilize the forces necessary to change laws in 2013, and the house and senate in 2014.
This anger can be marshaled behind powerful commercials that could be made to run against the politicians who need to be defeated and who support the idolatrous gun culture.

Complacent Americans can be shamed by having to confront the faces of the dead. Politicians can be painted blood red in their clinging to NRA support. But only if we continue to rage against the insanity of those who continue to believe in guns rather than good.

Reply to this post

Thu Dec 20, 2012, 03:58 PM

8. It will take some time for the parents and the town to heal.

And the state. Even my Governor looks haunted by all of this. It has been a rough week for CT and for the country.

I am just really going to appreciate spending the holidays with my girls. Sometimes they drive me crazy at 7 and 8. Complaints about homework, teasing each other, toys not put away, crumbs on the floor. But this week none of it matter a bit. I am just glad I have them to hang out with.

Reply to this post

Thu Dec 20, 2012, 03:58 PM

9. K&R. I can't stop thinking about this. Those poor little chilren and their families. And right

before Christmas. It will never be the same for them again.

I can't stop thinking about my little neices and nephews who are all between the ages of 4 and 12. There are eight of them. I would be absolutely devastated if anything happened to them, as would my siblings. I cannot imagine what the parents of these children are going through right now. It must be absolute hell.

We have to do something to stop this senseless carnarge. I don't really give a SHIT about anybody's gun rights, I just want children to be safe in this world. Is that too much to ask?

Reply to this post

Thu Dec 20, 2012, 04:01 PM

10. It's not a thing to "be over". But if any clarity of thought or coming together can happen

then it's possible for it to get better, and to have some connection to the good in us all.

Reply to this post

Thu Dec 20, 2012, 04:14 PM

11. .

Reply to this post

Thu Dec 20, 2012, 04:16 PM

12. I just lost it when Obama started reading the names. I was for a moment, back in my first-grade

class calling the roll, but no one was answering "here".

We don't have time to "revamp" the mental health system or rebuild prison-like schools to keep OUT the bad guys or sniping over hit and miss (pun intended) magazines, or capacity, or gauge ... other wise known as out-of-my-cold-dead-hands Gun Struggle, aka Gun Control. I ask for Gun Management. There will be piss poor political pontificating and progress without it.

Step 1 ... post open-carry guards ... retired vets, military, police, already licensed and trained ... call it the School Militia ... in plain sight until we can get Joe Biden to help us with the laws and organization and such. The kids, teachers and parents will be mightily relieved. Most if not all crazed nuts will be way less likely to risk facing an armed officer. Not too many attempt this at a federal building or an airport any more.

Step 2 ... Register all firearms...Make it an Executive Order...regulate them just like we do cars. And if we have the will, we can. Otherwise ???

A gun is tangible. The other hopeful and helpful immediate solutions are vague...non-tangible and way more expensive. The Gun Management will pay for itself.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread