HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Potential mass shooting a...

Thu Dec 20, 2012, 02:53 AM

Potential mass shooting averted at my son's high school

http://www.wtop.com/46/3163123/Laurel-students-thwart-credible-threat

This happened on Friday. Actually there was suspicion before the CT shooting. Some students at my son's high school were concerned about a classmate who had alluded to making threats at the school. They approached a teacher about it on Friday. The school's administration got in touch with the Laurel Police who searched the student's locker on Monday and found drawings, diagrams and lists. The police also said the kid had access to guns. He was taken to a local hospital for evaluation. My wife volunteers at the school so she heard a few things about it.

Thanks to everyone who stepped in, this could have averted a disaster. The Laurel Police actually have an on-duty police officer at the school full-time in a glassed-in office just inside the entrance. He's actually called a Community Resource Officer so he's more then just a police officer standing guard. He mentors the kids and helps them out with other issues.

6 replies, 1607 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 6 replies Author Time Post
Reply Potential mass shooting averted at my son's high school (Original post)
rightsideout Dec 2012 OP
UnrepentantLiberal Dec 2012 #1
elleng Dec 2012 #2
nadinbrzezinski Dec 2012 #3
LeftInTX Dec 2012 #4
rightsideout Dec 2012 #5
LibertyLover Dec 2012 #6

Response to rightsideout (Original post)

Thu Dec 20, 2012, 03:03 AM

1. Scary.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Thu Dec 20, 2012, 03:14 AM

2. Good this wasn't publicized,

and glad it didn't go any further.
(Daughter lives in P.G. County with her guy, a P.G. County Deputy Sheriff.)

Reply to this post

Thu Dec 20, 2012, 03:22 AM

3. Hugs

Reply to this post

Thu Dec 20, 2012, 03:27 AM

4. Glad nothing happened - scary

Reply to this post

Thu Dec 20, 2012, 03:37 AM

5. This wasn't the first time we had to deal with this

Last year a boy in my daughter's circle of friends starting sending strange "tweets" to my daughter and her friend. Something like "By this time tomorrow, you'll hear about me on the news." A few months before, he had been committed for threatening to shoot himself and was starting to send these tweets after my daughter had told him she wanted to keep her distance. I had told her I didn't want her seeing him because he was acting pretty strange and he had been driving by our house late at night. So when he started sending these crazy Tweets my wife and I decided to call the Prince Georges County Police. My wife spoke with them and told them about his previous suicide attempt and the threatening tweets he was sending so they sent two police officers with their sirens blaring to his house. I had lost a friend to suicide (by gun) when I was about my daughter's age so I thought the signs warranted some outside help.

Reply to this post

Thu Dec 20, 2012, 09:07 AM

6. We got a phone call and an e-mail last night

on this from Anne Arundel County schools. My 10 year old daughter goes to a public elementary school in our town, which is not that far from Laurel, so I was very glad to hear that this was averted.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread