HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Like millions of others, ...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Thu Dec 20, 2012, 12:22 AM

Like millions of others, I just got my COLA notice, and...

Last edited Thu Dec 20, 2012, 10:33 AM - Edit history (2)

it appears I will be getting around two bucks a month more in my SS benefit next year. Actually less, thanks to Medicare premiums.

This is under the current formula with the current inflation numbers. Yes, if the COLA is reduced by 75 cents a month some time in the future under the new formula and I live another 104 years, maybe I could lose an entire month's worth of SS over that time.

So, in my case, all this hysteria is over instead of getting 25 bucks or so a year in increased benefits, I may get 10 bucks or so at some time in the dim future. And no one really knows for sure.

I'm thinking I'd gladly write the fuckers a check for that if it will shut 'em all up and they get back to work.

On edit...

I am sooo embarassed!

I misplaced a decimal whilst multiplying in my mind and my increase is around 20 bucks, not 2. Two bucks is loose change, but a sawbuck I notice.

Doesn't change the basis of my argument, though.

On edit, again-- a much better post than mine on this:

http://www.democraticunderground.com/?com=view_post&forum=1251&pid=265568

21 replies, 1676 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 21 replies Author Time Post
Reply Like millions of others, I just got my COLA notice, and... (Original post)
TreasonousBastard Dec 2012 OP
Suich Dec 2012 #1
elleng Dec 2012 #2
Fumesucker Dec 2012 #3
Liberalynn Dec 2012 #13
99Forever Dec 2012 #18
dogman Dec 2012 #4
erinlough Dec 2012 #5
jaysunb Dec 2012 #6
elleng Dec 2012 #7
Bluenorthwest Dec 2012 #11
truebluegreen Dec 2012 #16
ProgressiveEconomist Dec 2012 #8
TreasonousBastard Dec 2012 #9
ProgressiveEconomist Dec 2012 #15
TreasonousBastard Dec 2012 #20
truebluegreen Dec 2012 #17
TreasonousBastard Dec 2012 #19
truebluegreen Dec 2012 #21
cecilfirefox Dec 2012 #10
librechik Dec 2012 #12
Autumn Dec 2012 #14

Response to TreasonousBastard (Original post)

Thu Dec 20, 2012, 12:24 AM

1. I'll be getting $5.00 more each month!

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Thu Dec 20, 2012, 01:00 AM

2. Right, worth about $2/month to me.

Reply to this post

Thu Dec 20, 2012, 01:10 AM

3. Yep, let the Republicans win

Fuck it all, I'm tired of fighting and arguing over it, the motherfuckers are going to do what they want anyway no matter what we think, say or do.

If the Democrats so much as take a fucking nickel away from anyones SS then in 2014 the Republicans are going to be screeching at steam calliope levels that the Democrats cut SS and the M$M will gleefully repeat the charge endlessly.

If there's one group that votes in America it's SS recipients and a lot of them are very susceptible to Repub propaganda.

Reply to this post

Response to Fumesucker (Reply #3)

Thu Dec 20, 2012, 09:31 AM

13. Exactly

You nailed it. Doesn't matter who demanded it in the first place.

We just saw in this past election the PUKES have no shame.

President Obama tried to reduce Medicare Fraud, and the Republicans said that was a benefit cut even though they were actually the ones trying not only to cut benefits, but even worse trying to end the program all together.

Thankfully there was enough people who saw through that.

But can we bank on that enough people will blame the PUKES in regards to cutting SS, especially since President Obama seems so willing to accommodate their wishes and most Congressional Dems are only putting up a token protest and failing to make an outright comittment to rejection should the compromise deal be put before them?

Reply to this post

Response to Liberalynn (Reply #13)

Thu Dec 20, 2012, 04:14 PM

18. To be honest...

... in the end, there is a grain of truth in it not mattering who demanded it to start with. There is only one person who can single handedly stop this in it's tracks. Need I explain who that is or how it would be done?

Reply to this post

Thu Dec 20, 2012, 01:15 AM

4. What does SS have to do with the deficit?

If they get back to work it is going to be finding something else to take from working people. It was a 1.7 % increase, almost negligible at that, which is a larger amount to those who rely on SS as their prime source of income.

Reply to this post

Thu Dec 20, 2012, 01:45 AM

5. This is really important.

I remember my mom and I talking about this. She used to laugh that when her COLA came up she usually got a matching increase in medicare premium. People need to calm down. I wish it wasn't happening, but it is a small amount and our children are facing much more severe cuts, and worse pay in this country throughout their lives. I can handle it, can you? I also think crucifying the President before we even hear the deal completely is harsh.

Reply to this post

Response to erinlough (Reply #5)

Thu Dec 20, 2012, 01:48 AM

6. +1 nt

Reply to this post

Thu Dec 20, 2012, 02:02 AM

7. Yes, more than 'harsh.'

Thanks

Reply to this post

Thu Dec 20, 2012, 09:13 AM

11. Crucifying? Wow. The President paraded around for years preaching against gay people's rights

on the basis that his Christian religion taught him that we lack a 'spiritual element'. Yet Jesus said that anyone harming a hair on one of the least among us is headed to the lake of fire. So if nothing else, I will be pointing to 'Christians' who are going after money from the poor, elderly and infirm are in stark contradiction of the faith they claim and of the man they wail was crucified for them. Jesus says 'don't do this' but they say 'fuck off, we do as we please and call it your will'.
Had the President not done the anti gay shit, the Rick Warren slanders, the Donnie McClurkin libels, I'd give him some room. But he is the one who made such personal, exactly claims about his own superior 'spiritual element' and claimed that he spoke for God against his neighbors.
I'm not fond of those who put on a mask of God and come to attack others and take money from poor people to give to those making a few hundred thousand a year.
And in terms of honesty...the law requires that the Medicare premium increase be less than the COLA increase, so your Mom did not get matching increases. She gets small increases, which you say she should not get at all. WE can cure our problems by picking at a few bucks in the hands of the least among us.....

Reply to this post

Response to Bluenorthwest (Reply #11)

Thu Dec 20, 2012, 04:08 PM

16. +100

Calling it like it is.

Reply to this post

Thu Dec 20, 2012, 03:03 AM

8. Inflation has been tame in recent years. But the 13.5 percent inflation of 1980

well could return as the Fed "monetizes" the debt GW Bush set in motion by borrowong for oil war, massive "defense": and "Homeland Security" waste, and huge "tax cuts" for the very wealthy. Then you'll see and feel what it's like as prices for food and other essentials double every five years while your income falls farther and farther behind your catfood lifesyle.

See the chart of CPI inflation rates at http://www.usinflationcalculator.com/inflation/historical-inflation-rates/ .

I agree with AARP instead of with what you posted.

Reply to this post

Response to ProgressiveEconomist (Reply #8)

Thu Dec 20, 2012, 03:22 AM

9. True dat, but then the COLAs can be raised again. None of this is cut in stone...

and the rising population of us old farts will react to what is happening rather than to what might happen.

Reply to this post

Response to TreasonousBastard (Reply #9)

Thu Dec 20, 2012, 03:31 PM

15. Why tamper with the SS COLA safety net? Spikes in inflation

can occur all of a sudden, as they did with the mid-70s oil crisis. And Republicans may then have gerrymandered and voter-IDed themselves into control of Congress and the WH. You are advocating gambling with my future.

Reply to this post

Response to ProgressiveEconomist (Reply #15)

Thu Dec 20, 2012, 06:52 PM

20. Your future? My future is here already...

and I'm not gambling.

Very simply-- we're up against an immovable wall, so we get what we can while we can. Next year is another battle.

Reply to this post

Response to TreasonousBastard (Reply #9)

Thu Dec 20, 2012, 04:09 PM

17. Sure, the COLAs can be raised again...

by the Republican Senate and Congress we'll have if Democrats cut Social Security?

Uh-huh.

edited to add: We shouldn't be cutting, we should be raising: the cap and the payouts, which are barely sufficient as it is.

Reply to this post

Response to truebluegreen (Reply #17)

Thu Dec 20, 2012, 06:49 PM

19. There are lots of things...

we should be doing, but the point is how much can we do.

House Republicans are in kamikaze mode and are not acting rationally, so we do what we can to get what we can while we can.

Reply to this post

Response to TreasonousBastard (Reply #19)

Thu Dec 20, 2012, 09:16 PM

21. Then let the Republicans go kamikaze on their own

and stop holding their hands on the way down.

At the very least, let them push in public for the wildly unpopular cuts to SS; let them defend the cuts as necessary to keep tax cuts for the obscenely wealthy, let them OWN it, instead of US.

Why the hell does Obama feel the need to FIRST give away actual Democratic policies just to make nice with a bunch of crazy nut jobs?

Why? And why shouldn't we call him on it when he does?

Reply to this post

Thu Dec 20, 2012, 03:23 AM

10. +1. K&R

Reply to this post

Thu Dec 20, 2012, 09:15 AM

12. thank you!

Reply to this post

Thu Dec 20, 2012, 09:34 AM

14. I understand that but to some, two bucks a month makes

a difference and every little bit helps.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread