Wed Dec 19, 2012, 02:42 PM
OneGrassRoot (21,042 posts)
A message for "good Christian," pro-gun lurkers
Many of the people who are vehement about about their "right" to own weapons without a willingness to discuss reasonable gun-control compromise are more often than not part of a group of people who:
1. Speak ad nauseum of personal responsibility, as though no one else in the world embraces this concept. Other people not only accept personal responsibility but also recognize the concept of a collective, societal responsibility.
2. Judge others at every turn. They see anyone living in poverty and those who are homeless as having made poor choices and/or are a welfare queen, without knowing anything about the other person. They forget "There but for the Grace of God go I…"
3. ...Speaking of God, they are usually self-proclaimed "good Christians" who bemoan how God has been removed from our society, resulting in these tragedies. They must not think much of their God if a physical location can prevent entry. Of course, what they really want is their own faith, their God and their prayers more visible in public venues.
4. Seem to forget Christ's teachings of compassion, non-judgment, caring for the poor. Instead their civic focus is to ensure they can keep their guns, ensure that taxes aren't raised in order to care for their fellow citizens, and work to remove personal responsibility freedoms from others regarding reproduction and marriage. They see being armed as a right but not healthcare or education or who we love and choose to share our lives with.
5. Say they are "pro-life" but favor the death penalty, are largely silent regarding war and innocent casualties of war, repeatedly vote to defund social safety nets, and seem to resist reasonable efforts to protect other life forms on this Earth and the Earth itself.
I hope this group of people will take time to reflect on their values and priorities, and how they put them into action, over their sacred holiday season.
SPEAKING OF VALUES (yes, shameless plug, for The Common Good.....I ask DUers reading this to please also visit this thread, where you can put your values into action:
1 replies, 1182 views
Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
A message for "good Christian," pro-gun lurkers (Original post)