HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » The Newtown tragedy will ...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Wed Dec 19, 2012, 09:54 AM

The Newtown tragedy will turn out to be related to Pharmaceuticals.

Although the gun issue will be in the spotlight for obvious reasons, America's real problem may actually be an out of control drug economy. This said, as I send in my monthly Medicare part D insurance premium payment. Part D drug coverage, you might remember, was passed by a Republican Congress without any method to pay for it.

Just sayin.

67 replies, 3500 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 67 replies Author Time Post
Reply The Newtown tragedy will turn out to be related to Pharmaceuticals. (Original post)
rgbecker Dec 2012 OP
mucifer Dec 2012 #1
ananda Dec 2012 #3
Taverner Dec 2012 #5
mucifer Dec 2012 #14
LTR Dec 2012 #23
Bennyboy Dec 2012 #35
PotatoChip Dec 2012 #48
siligut Dec 2012 #49
Taverner Dec 2012 #50
Bennyboy Dec 2012 #55
Taverner Dec 2012 #60
PotatoChip Dec 2012 #63
RobinA Dec 2012 #54
Jamastiene Dec 2012 #62
Jamastiene Dec 2012 #61
still_one Dec 2012 #6
green for victory Dec 2012 #19
still_one Dec 2012 #40
Denninmi Dec 2012 #10
Jamastiene Dec 2012 #27
Denninmi Dec 2012 #41
Care Acutely Dec 2012 #32
Jamastiene Dec 2012 #29
RobinA Dec 2012 #56
Livluvgrow Dec 2012 #8
SidDithers Dec 2012 #9
Livluvgrow Dec 2012 #15
SidDithers Dec 2012 #22
Care Acutely Dec 2012 #34
rgbecker Dec 2012 #12
uponit7771 Dec 2012 #2
pipoman Dec 2012 #4
dkf Dec 2012 #7
riderinthestorm Dec 2012 #11
HereSince1628 Dec 2012 #13
pipoman Dec 2012 #20
Denninmi Dec 2012 #21
pipoman Dec 2012 #38
Denninmi Dec 2012 #47
pipoman Dec 2012 #57
mucifer Dec 2012 #16
randome Dec 2012 #17
Aristus Dec 2012 #18
byeya Dec 2012 #25
Aristus Dec 2012 #26
joeybee12 Dec 2012 #24
rgbecker Dec 2012 #66
Exultant Democracy Dec 2012 #28
wickerwoman Dec 2012 #44
green for victory Dec 2012 #59
rgbecker Dec 2012 #64
Comrade_McKenzie Dec 2012 #30
Fresh_Start Dec 2012 #31
Tommy_Carcetti Dec 2012 #33
randome Dec 2012 #37
Tommy_Carcetti Dec 2012 #42
randome Dec 2012 #45
Myrina Dec 2012 #36
Zoeisright Dec 2012 #39
rbrnmw Dec 2012 #52
rgbecker Dec 2012 #67
Skidmore Dec 2012 #43
ceile Dec 2012 #46
RobinA Dec 2012 #51
upi402 Dec 2012 #53
Odin2005 Dec 2012 #58
rgbecker Dec 2012 #65

Response to rgbecker (Original post)

Response to mucifer (Reply #1)

Wed Dec 19, 2012, 09:59 AM

3. Nobody benefits a lot from these medications.

You don't get your child back. You just get your child on drugs knowing that you've given up on him or her and think that he or she is basically flawed.

Also, experience and studies have shown that many SSRIs and psychotropes cause or exacerbate violent and suicidal tendencies.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to ananda (Reply #3)

Wed Dec 19, 2012, 10:04 AM

5. Um, put down the copy of Homeopathy Weekly, OK?

SSRIs have done a lot of good. Ask a few DUers - they can share their stories.

Reply to this post

Response to Taverner (Reply #5)

Wed Dec 19, 2012, 11:09 AM

23. I'm currently taking Prozac and Wellbutrin

Suffered from depression and anxiety. Was hesitant to go on anti-depressants, particularly Prozac (must have been all that $cientology propaganda). But I've been taking the medication under supervision and it has been working well for me. It really helped to even me out.

But SSRIs are not for everyone. And health professionals know this.

Reply to this post

Wed Dec 19, 2012, 12:08 PM

35. My Zoloft story...

I had a home invasion robbery at my house. 27 shots fired, almost dead, the whole deal. And after that I started having serious panic attacks. Serious, like my heart would jump out of my chest, like I was scared to death. So, at my (now ex) wife's urging, I went to my doctor .After a 2 minute diagnosis ("Do you think about death, are you sad for no reason") I was prescribed Zoloft. Followed instructions like crazy. Hardly smoked weed, but drank a bit, then a lot. Made it worse. 6 weeks in when I felt worse, not better, I went back and told the doc I didn't like it, he doubled the dose and within that 6 week period my life was OVER.

I drank more, my sex drive non existent etc. More suicide thoughts, more panic about everything. Seriously out of it. I couldn't hold on to anything. It was like a side of me was missing. Some days I would be in a movie, one only I saw, with me being the lead character. really hard to describe the feeling.... I got more violent (slamming door breaking things purposely) as well and had an incident with my wife that led to our breakup. (Which was not violent, a spirited argument yes, but she was never touched)....

Also I had a therapist, a psychologist, but he was of not much help there at all. Probably me at fault for that but at the time I had a LOT going on and hated both my wife and her kid for the shootout. Mostly because exactly what I sad was going to happen did, with her kid being "Homeschooled".... (drug sales, tons of kids in the house all day long playing video games "Idle hands are the devils workshop")

Now that does not mean that my life was all roses and kisses, I had a lot going on then. The shootout, the lawsuit, the collapse of my biz,health, heart issues, my Dad's rapid descent into craziness, etc. so things were pretty shitty.

I lost everything. 40 bucks and a car that ran exactly eight miles. of course eventually I lost my healthcare so being able to afford pills was out of the question and keeping a therapist as well. But I also knew the pills were not helping at all. I just could not get clear in my head. I made some horrific business decisions for which I am paying for to this day and I just never felt well until I stopped taking them.

Yeah my life was pretty tough then, getting divorced, still being sued by the guy that tried to kill me, near homeless, ripoff in business, parent's crazy and violent, etc.. But I did it. And I started to get better. More focused. I would still get panic'y but when things weren't like that I could handle it, not be mentally impaired the entire day long.

Went back to smoking weed (For most of the time on Prozac I did not smoke due to it raising the chance of panic) and guess what, still get depressed but it is nothing like it was back then. My panic attacks are a lot less and a lot more manageable. I have learned to maintain things better now and not think that I am dying all the time. Of course my life is upended once again (my Mom is in the hospital right now in ICU) and that will cause enormous upheaval in my life once again, and I may get depressed again but never will I take another pill to treat it.

But,If I saw that doctor walking down the street I would beat his ass.

Reply to this post

Response to Bennyboy (Reply #35)

Wed Dec 19, 2012, 12:54 PM

48. Thank you for sharing that.

Mine is a similar story, but would prefer not to get into the details. I will say though, that it happened to me about 8 years ago, and I am still picking up the pieces of my life to this day.

SSRI(s) are helpful for some people; I have personally seen, and know it to be true. However, let me just say that there is a very good reason why the FDA requires that suicide warnings be issued for the young and old in their advertisements. I think these warning should include everyone.

Brain chemistry differs greatly from one person to the next. What may work wonders for some people, can seriously f*** up others. This is why I personally feel that doctors should not be prescribing these pills as if they were candy. And if a qualified mental health professional thinks SSRIs would be beneficial for their patients, they should monitor them far more carefully, and not be so fast to up dosages when people report problems with the medication.

-just my 2 cents fwiw.

Reply to this post

Wed Dec 19, 2012, 12:57 PM

49. You might have been helped with a little Xanax

Xanax is for panic attacks and you had an extremely traumatic event. Some health practitioners aren't very good, and apparently you had two of them.

Hope things go the best they can for your mother.

Reply to this post

Wed Dec 19, 2012, 01:00 PM

50. Then Zoloft is not for you

Sounds like the problem was the drug, not the med

I take Welbutrin and Effexor and it works wonders with my ADHD

Reply to this post

Response to Taverner (Reply #50)

Wed Dec 19, 2012, 01:11 PM

55. Well that might be true

But I am not willing to experiment with a bunch of drugs to find out what is right for me. the last one went so far haywire that I am not willing to trust anything. Not to mention I ahve NO health insurance, no SSI no nothing so taking a drug is not i the deal for me. NAd I ahve way more presing health issues than that right now.

Reply to this post

Response to Bennyboy (Reply #55)

Wed Dec 19, 2012, 02:06 PM

60. That's your choice. I am just saying SSRIs have helped a lot of people

Including many DUers

Reply to this post

Response to Taverner (Reply #60)