HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » A reminder from the Giffo...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Wed Dec 19, 2012, 08:26 AM

A reminder from the Giffords shooting about why guns in well meaning civilian hands could be deadly

http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/human_nature/2011/01/friendly_firearms.html

"I came out of that store, I clicked the safety off, and I was ready," he explained on Fox and Friends. "I had my hand on my gun. I had it in my jacket pocket here. And I came around the corner like this." Zamudio demonstrated how his shooting hand was wrapped around the weapon, poised to draw and fire. As he rounded the corner, he saw a man holding a gun. "And that's who I at first thought was the shooter," Zamudio recalled. "I told him to 'Drop it, drop it!' "

But the man with the gun wasn't the shooter. He had wrested the gun away from the shooter. "Had you shot that guy, it would have been a big, fat mess," the interviewer pointed out.

Zamudio agreed:

I was very lucky. Honestly, it was a matter of seconds. Two, maybe three seconds between when I came through the doorway and when I was laying on top of , holding him down. So, I mean, in that short amount of time I made a lot of really big decisions really fast. I was really lucky."

6 replies, 720 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 6 replies Author Time Post
Reply A reminder from the Giffords shooting about why guns in well meaning civilian hands could be deadly (Original post)
ehrnst Dec 2012 OP
Care Acutely Dec 2012 #1
ehrnst Dec 2012 #5
justanidea Dec 2012 #2
ehrnst Dec 2012 #3
ehrnst Dec 2012 #4
Care Acutely Dec 2012 #6

Response to ehrnst (Original post)

Wed Dec 19, 2012, 08:31 AM

1. Shattered his white-hat Bam-Bam fantasy all to hell

He knows he almost killed an innocent human being. He almost killed a real hero.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Care Acutely (Reply #1)

Wed Dec 19, 2012, 09:58 AM

5. I was told in self defense class that often a gun stops a person thinking from their wrist up.

And you can use that to your advantage in a hostage situation.

The 'confidence' holding a gun gives you often clouds judgement in an untrained person.

Reply to this post

Wed Dec 19, 2012, 08:53 AM

2. Wow so a concealed carrier did exactly what the police would do

Be ready and assess the situation before taking any serious deadly action.

Actually on second thought, he didn't do what the police would have done. The police wouldn't have yelled "Drop it" they would have just shot the guy. Then they would have found out where he lives and shot his dog.

Reply to this post

Response to justanidea (Reply #2)

Wed Dec 19, 2012, 09:30 AM

3. He was lucky. He did not have the training to make the decisions.

Like an 11 year old kid who gets behind the wheel of a car and doesn't kill or injure himself.

Reply to this post

Response to justanidea (Reply #2)

Wed Dec 19, 2012, 09:54 AM

4. So your aversion to law enforcement would prevent you from calling 911, then. (nt)

Reply to this post

Wed Dec 19, 2012, 02:47 PM

6. K & R

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread