HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Youtube and the RIAA go a...

Wed Dec 19, 2012, 06:52 AM

Youtube and the RIAA go at it..... again.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-501465_162-57456397-501465/google-youtube-blocks-website-that-converts-videos-into-mp3s/

File conversion site YouTube-MP3.org claims that Google has sent a cease-and-desist letter to the site's owners and has blocked the YouTube-MP3.org's servers from accessing YouTube.

YouTube-MP3.org is a site where users copy a YouTube web address onto a form and the site converts the video in to an MP3 file.

YouTube-MP3.org's administrator claims it does not use YouTube's application programming interface (API). If it is using YouTube's API, the site could be violating YouTube's terms of service, which prohibits developers from separating, isolating or modifying the audio or video component of any YouTube content made available through API.

Other than possibly violating YouTube's terms of service, the site is potentially violating copyright laws. Organizations like the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA) are paying attention.

11 replies, 935 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread

Response to 2on2u (Original post)

Wed Dec 19, 2012, 06:57 AM

1. There's a dozen programs out there that will let you download a youtube video

and either convert to a different video format or strip the audio out of it. It's like the DeCSS fight.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to hobbit709 (Reply #1)

Wed Dec 19, 2012, 07:01 AM

2. Well here is my take on this issue..... Youtube can play videos that have copyrighted music

and other content all day long millions of times a day.... into infinity however it is illegal for you to download same content to your computer and play it all day long millions of times a day into infinity. I find that a bit strange.

Reply to this post

Response to 2on2u (Reply #2)

Wed Dec 19, 2012, 08:52 AM

4. Because YouTube worked out a licensing deal...

...under which those little ads are displayed below videos with copyrighted content, including links to buy the mp3 recordings of music in the soundtrack.

Reply to this post

Response to hobbit709 (Reply #1)

Wed Dec 19, 2012, 08:53 AM

5. And do it offline as well....

....fucking amateurs!!!

Reply to this post

Response to ProudToBeBlueInRhody (Reply #5)

Wed Dec 19, 2012, 06:36 PM

6. I'm pretty sure that you are an amateur at a couple of things. n/t

Reply to this post

Response to 2on2u (Reply #6)

Wed Dec 19, 2012, 07:15 PM

8. Quick Media Converter is your friend.

Reply to this post

Response to ProudToBeBlueInRhody (Reply #8)

Wed Dec 19, 2012, 07:16 PM

9. I see, run under Ubuntu? The downloader I was using just lists a couple of useless links

now....

Reply to this post

Response to 2on2u (Reply #9)

Wed Dec 19, 2012, 07:27 PM

10. I've never had a problem....

....downloading a You Tube video to Mozilla (or IE if I have to), but I know zip about Linux. Are you saying your web broswer does not function to permit you to download a video to your hard drive, then use another program to convert it to audio?

I've just never seen the point of using a web based converter, seems to me like a good place to get caught.

Reply to this post

Response to ProudToBeBlueInRhody (Reply #10)

Wed Dec 19, 2012, 08:37 PM

11. Nothing in the menu in my FF to download anything.... was using an add on, will try

another soon.

Reply to this post

Wed Dec 19, 2012, 07:15 AM

3. It was working just fine for me last night

The Firefox extension no longer appears above the videos (still shows enabled under 'add-ons'), so its back to copy-paste the URL into the YT2MP3 page, but no biggie.

Reply to this post

Wed Dec 19, 2012, 06:44 PM

7. That's going to amount to something

Especially since you can do that all day with other apps.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread