HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » 6th Grader Caught With HA...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Tue Dec 18, 2012, 11:08 PM

6th Grader Caught With HANDGUN After Threatening Classmate, Claims GUN Was PARENTS' IDEA

Isabelle Rios, the 6th grade classmate who reported the handgun after being threatened, as reported on KSL5 TV.
http://www.ksl.com/?sid=23439767&nid=148&title=parents-fearful-after-6th-grader-brings-gun-to-school&s_cid=featured-1

An 11-year old boy faces criminal charges after bringing a gun to West Kearns Elementary School in Kearns, UT yesterday, and allegedly threatening a classmate with it. According to Mediaite‘s Angali Sareen (who also writes for Addicting Info), the sixth grader told his classmates that his parents had advised him to bring the gun for protection after last week’s Sandy Hook shootings in Newtown, CT. According to multiple accounts, including Andrew Wittenberg’s write-up for Salt Lake City UT’s KSL.com, the boy had also given the same explanations to school administrators, but his classmate, Isabelle Rios had a different story to tell:

”He pulled out a gun and he put it to my head — me and my friend — (and) said he was going to kills us. I told him I was going to tell, but he said, ‘If you tell, I’m going to kill you.’”

Although the incident allegedly happened during morning recess, Rios didn’t say anything until around dismissal time at 3:00 p.m., when she informed her teacher. The teacher reportedly took the gun away and took the student to the principal’s office, where staff called the police. According to Granite School District Superintendent Ben Horsley, the gun and ammunition were in the boy’s backpack, but the gun was not loaded. Horsley also praised the teacher’s swift action and clear-headedness:

“This teacher in particular put herself with this student and took him into physical custody to ensure that he was not able to use that weapon to harm anybody,

http://www.addictinginfo.org/2012/12/18/6th-grader-caught-with-handgun-after-threatening-classmate-school-parents-demand-answers/

9 replies, 792 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 9 replies Author Time Post
Reply 6th Grader Caught With HANDGUN After Threatening Classmate, Claims GUN Was PARENTS' IDEA (Original post)
Segami Dec 2012 OP
Jefferson23 Dec 2012 #1
bayareamike Dec 2012 #2
Bozita Dec 2012 #5
Mutiny In Heaven Dec 2012 #3
jberryhill Dec 2012 #4
MrSlayer Dec 2012 #6
kestrel91316 Dec 2012 #7
cash__whatiwant Dec 2012 #8
Initech Dec 2012 #9

Response to Segami (Original post)

Tue Dec 18, 2012, 11:13 PM

1. If accurate, the poor kid, his parents eat a plate of crazy for breakfast and he may

one day end up on death row....way to go Mom and Dad.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Tue Dec 18, 2012, 11:13 PM

2. GUNSS FOR EVERYBODYYYY!!!!!!!

Arm the teachers, the kids, that way shootings will never happen in schools again!!! WEEEEE!!!!

(do I need the tag?)

Reply to this post

Response to bayareamike (Reply #2)

Tue Dec 18, 2012, 11:26 PM

5. What could possibly go wrong?

Reply to this post

Tue Dec 18, 2012, 11:15 PM

3. If it really was due to his parents, they should lose custody.

Absolutely no reasonable or even semi-reasonable argument can be made to the contrary; no custody, no contact until adulthood.

Reply to this post

Tue Dec 18, 2012, 11:24 PM

4. "My Mom Said I Could"

Reply to this post

Tue Dec 18, 2012, 11:31 PM

6. See, if the little girl also had a gun she could have defended herself.

She could have stood her ground and killed him.

This is a sick society.

Reply to this post

Wed Dec 19, 2012, 12:16 AM

7. If he did THIS:

”He pulled out a gun and he put it to my head — me and my friend — (and) said he was going to kills us. I told him I was going to tell, but he said, ‘If you tell, I’m going to kill you.’” ................then he is already beyond redemption. He AND his parents (who obviously taught him to be this way AND provided access to the gun) need to be locked up for a VERY long time.

Gun owner responsibility FAIL. Parenting FAIL. Member of human race FAIL.

Reply to this post

Wed Dec 19, 2012, 01:03 AM

8. wow. nt

Reply to this post

Wed Dec 19, 2012, 01:09 AM

9. So much fail on so many levels.

Reply to this post