HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » 'Mr. Magoo' Christmas Spe...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Tue Dec 18, 2012, 09:53 PM

'Mr. Magoo' Christmas Special Turns 50 (returns to NBC Dec. 22)

http://www.homemediamagazine.com/tv-dvd/mr-magoo-christmas-special-turns-50-28941?utm_source=agentdvd&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=agentmonthly_12_18_2012&utm_content=mr-magoo-christmas-special-turns-50-28941

21 Nov, 2012 By: John Latchem

Touted as TV’s first-ever animated holiday special, Mr. Magoo’s Christmas Carol celebrates its 50th anniversary this year.

To mark the occasion, DreamWorks Classics has re-released the special as a Blu-ray/DVD combo pack, and NBC, which first aired it in 1962, will air it again Dec. 22.

In a move that would be emulated by countless TV shows for years to come, producers hit upon the idea of adapting Charles Dickens’ A Christmas Carol, with Magoo as Scrooge.

“A lot of it is based on the music of the Broadway team of Jule Styne and Bob Merrill,” said Robert Mayo, SVP and GM of home entertainment for DreamWorks Classics. “It’s kind of presented as a Broadway show.”

FULL story at link.

5 replies, 674 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 5 replies Author Time Post
Reply 'Mr. Magoo' Christmas Special Turns 50 (returns to NBC Dec. 22) (Original post)
Omaha Steve Dec 2012 OP
aikoaiko Dec 2012 #1
Lindsay Dec 2012 #2
Omaha Steve Dec 2012 #4
badhair77 Dec 2012 #3
Trailrider1951 Dec 2012 #5

Response to Omaha Steve (Original post)

Tue Dec 18, 2012, 09:56 PM

1. My 2nd favorite version next to the Alastair Sim Christmas Carol

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Tue Dec 18, 2012, 10:00 PM

2. Thank you

for the heads-up.

Love that show.

I had to start a very extremely tiny small business to sell some Christmas ornaments at a very extremely tiny small craft fair this year. The name of my business is Razzleberry Dressing. Anybody else who loves the show will understand. (Anybody who doesn't know it (a) is missing out on wonderful music and (b) probably thinks I'm nuts.)

Looking forward to seeing it again.

Reply to this post

Response to Lindsay (Reply #2)

Thu Dec 20, 2012, 08:28 PM

4. Great name

Three generations of my family will be watching. Our youngest daughter has an autographed by Jim Backus Magoo coloring book BTW.

Reply to this post

Tue Dec 18, 2012, 10:45 PM

3. Thank you so much for posting this.

I love this show. When I was a kid, I looked forward to it each Dec. One year it was shown the night of a family Xmas gathering. There was not a TV in sight and I remembering whining about missing it. My father was not pleased. Of course this was pre-VCR/DVD days. I'll be watching this year. Love the music.

Reply to this post

Thu Dec 20, 2012, 09:26 PM

5. Hey, I remember that special! I was 10 years old

I liked Mr. Magoo cartoons, but I sometimes didn't quite understand his problems with the real world..........until now I am 60 years old and cannot see or hear worth crap, LOL. NOW I understand!

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread