HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » 72% of Xbox 360 Gamers Ap...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Tue Dec 18, 2012, 12:30 PM

72% of Xbox 360 Gamers Approve of "More Military Drone Strikes"

Posted by timothy on Thursday October 25, @09:53AM
from the ok-but-what-about-pepsi-drinkers? dept.
An anonymous reader writes
"During the latest presidential debate, Xbox 360 owners were being polled live, as the debate was progressing, on a number of different questions, and asked to answer 'Yes,' 'No,' or 'Don't Know' using their gamepad. Out of these questions, one particular question produced a surprising result: Xbox 360 owners were asked 'Do you support more use of drone aircraft to attack suspected terrorists?' 20% answered this question with 'No'. 8% answered 'Don't know.' And a whopping 72% answered the question 'Yes.' This raises an interesting question in and of itself: Is the average Xbox 360 player at all aware that drone strikes in countries like Pakistan cause a serious number of civilian deaths on a regular basis? Or do Xbox 360 gamers live in a parallel, game-inspired universe, where a real world 'Drone Strike' is something seriously cool, just like it is cool to use it in popular games like Call of Duty? In other words, does playing simulated war games like COD on a game console on a daily basis, and enjoying these games, cause gamers to become blinkered to the at times seriously dire real world consequences of using military tactics like drone strikes for real?"

http://games.slashdot.org/story/12/10/25/1453232/72-of-xbox-360-gamers-approve-of-more-military-drone-strikes?utm_source=feedburner

30 replies, 1637 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 30 replies Author Time Post
Reply 72% of Xbox 360 Gamers Approve of "More Military Drone Strikes" (Original post)
dkf Dec 2012 OP
Matt_in_STL Dec 2012 #1
dkf Dec 2012 #2
Matt_in_STL Dec 2012 #4
onehandle Dec 2012 #3
blueclown Dec 2012 #5
onehandle Dec 2012 #24
Matt_in_STL Dec 2012 #10
WilmywoodNCparalegal Dec 2012 #21
RomneyLies Dec 2012 #6
ProdigalJunkMail Dec 2012 #16
ProudToBeBlueInRhody Dec 2012 #7
Ikonoklast Dec 2012 #11
NCTraveler Dec 2012 #8
Comrade_McKenzie Dec 2012 #9
Jeff In Milwaukee Dec 2012 #12
dkf Dec 2012 #25
Jeff In Milwaukee Dec 2012 #30
Enrique Dec 2012 #13
Glassunion Dec 2012 #14
dkf Dec 2012 #26
Fearless Dec 2012 #15
Exultant Democracy Dec 2012 #17
reformist2 Dec 2012 #18
Matt_in_STL Dec 2012 #19
Bjorn Against Dec 2012 #28
Warphammer Dec 2012 #20
WilmywoodNCparalegal Dec 2012 #22
raouldukelives Dec 2012 #23
Bjorn Against Dec 2012 #27
white_wolf Dec 2012 #29

Response to dkf (Original post)

Tue Dec 18, 2012, 12:43 PM

1. Those evil video gamers

Two issues right off the top, without having to put much effort into it:

1. Granted, gamers can be from any age group, but you are typically going to find many of them tend to be teens and younger. It may just be the foolishness of youth on the part of many voters in this unscientific survey. Try playing an online game via the Xbox 360 and you will see what I mean.

2. The question is quite vague in the sense of the greater mission. Do you support more drone strikes? No, I would prefer there to be no drone strikes at all, but if you ask me that question and add "instead of sending in thousands of troops", my answer may change. With many different ways to ask and interpret that question, you may get answers across the spectrum.

As always, I understand it is an unscientific method of data collection but there seems to be an attempt via these sorts of things to group millions of people into a stereotype based on it. I have seen plenty of that in the past days in regard to video games, both here and elsewhere.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Matt_in_STL (Reply #1)

Tue Dec 18, 2012, 12:47 PM

2. They aren't evil. But they may be desensitized.

I'm not saying this is the cause of anything, but it's a piece to the puzzle.

Reply to this post

Response to dkf (Reply #2)

Tue Dec 18, 2012, 12:57 PM

4. I don't think it takes video games for that

Our entire society is set up to desensitize people. Between wars, your typical non-mass shooting murders, and what you can see on the news every night, we have set up a society that now finds that to be the status quo and accepts that. Sure, in some individuals, based on their mental state, video games could cause them to act out, but that isn't the norm for millions of video gamers.

We could attribute the actions of those who kill on many factors. How many people have killed in this country based on their religious beliefs? Where is the anger and vitriol toward religion in those cases? Do we have people asking us to evaluate religion and whether it should be banned or changed? Not typically. It always comes down to rock music, video games, etc. All that distraction keeps us from the real problems and the real issues and nothing ever gets done.

Reply to this post

Tue Dec 18, 2012, 12:54 PM

3. Give these basement dwellers an assault rifle...

...and send them to Afghanistan.

Reply to this post

Response to onehandle (Reply #3)

Tue Dec 18, 2012, 12:58 PM

5. Your stereotype that all videogamers are basement dwellers is inaccurate.

And offensive.

Reply to this post

Response to blueclown (Reply #5)

Tue Dec 18, 2012, 01:57 PM

24. I stick with the assertion that those 72% of Xbox 360ers who want drones...

...are basement dwellers.

I said nothing about all videogamers, especially being a videogamer myself.

Reply to this post

Tue Dec 18, 2012, 01:02 PM

10. Ah, stereotypes

I enjoy playing video games when I have time, although I admit I don't get nearly as much time as I used to. I hold down a great, steady job, have a happy family, am a homeowner, and have served my country in the military. I have played video games for the last 30 years, more during some years than others, and I am well balanced, charitable, and haven't had the urge to massacre anyone. Your stereotypes don't do anything to help a situation or to get to any of the real issues.

Reply to this post

Tue Dec 18, 2012, 01:24 PM

21. I don't live in a basement

I am a 40-year old woman, not a U.S. citizen. I'm happily married. I am college educated, a world-traveler and polyglot. I work in a field that is very stressful - namely, corporate immigration for the corporate HR of a huge gaming conglomerate.

I play CoD: Black Ops II every night after work. I am quite good at it. I have played the Call of Duty franchise regularly. It is my favorite. I have played Grand Theft Auto and other sorts of 'evil' video games. In fact, I have been playing video games since Pong. I don't own a weapon. I have no desire to own one or to use one in real life. I'm also taking Ritalin for ADHD. I can assure you that it has changed my life for the better. I've been tested on the Stanford-Binet IQ twice. I know the difference between real life and video games.

One of my favorite songs is about a guy who kills people with a hammer - Maxwell's Silver Hammer, by The Beatles.

I love Shakespeare. MacBeth is my favorite. It is a bloody tragedy with its share of violence and even the death of a child. I also love Opera, which has plenty of murder and mayhem on its own.

The point is that throughout history blame has been placed on all sorts of media - from Shakespeare to opera to video games to movies and everything in between. But these stories of horror and mayhem - in whatever form - have always been around. Beowulf is full of violence. The visions of Dante's Inferno with very graphic descriptions of torture and physical pain can rival today's video games and movies. This is nothing new.

None of this explains why a person commits the kinds of atrocities that we see on an almost daily basis. It's much easier to blame a piece of literature or a film or a song than to blame ourselves. Parents need to observe their kids. Not every child is an angel - some have psychological issues. Parents who have the means should not be scared to find help. Parents without the means should have the resources available to them, as part of a comprehensive effort by state and federal governments to deal with mental issues.

Above all, we must encourage better conflict resolution. We also must change culturally the notion that males are less 'macho' if they talk about their feelings, if they cry at times. We must change the cultural notion that only cheerleaders and quarterbacks are worthy of praise. We must change the notion that being shy is a defect, that being a bookworm is bad or wrong.

/getting off the soapbox

Reply to this post

Tue Dec 18, 2012, 01:00 PM

6. This helps

Reply to this post

Response to RomneyLies (Reply #6)

Tue Dec 18, 2012, 01:16 PM

16. about 90% of what's been posted the last few days

'helps'...

sP

Reply to this post

Tue Dec 18, 2012, 01:00 PM

7. Oh, what a shock

One of the biggest nutjob bible thumping right wingers at another board I post at is going on and on about video games too, and saying Democrats are soiling a victim's memory (the mother) and guns had zero to do with it.

Funny.

Reply to this post

Response to ProudToBeBlueInRhody (Reply #7)

Tue Dec 18, 2012, 01:06 PM

11. Deflection From anything but the fact that guns were used to Kill.

The attempts to deflect away from that salient point, semi-automatic weapons were used in a mass murder, are now legion coming from the Right.

OP is just doing their part in the First-Line Deflectors Brigade.

Reply to this post

Tue Dec 18, 2012, 01:01 PM

8. Not saying it's right...

but wouldn't that put them in line with the last four years of policy from the Obama administration?

Reply to this post

Tue Dec 18, 2012, 01:02 PM

9. As long as the government gives me what I want domestically...

They can do whatever they want overseas.

That's my grand bargain.

Reply to this post

Tue Dec 18, 2012, 01:08 PM

12. One of those gamers would be my son...

who is all of 14 years old.

What's next? Are we going to ask fifth graders about medical loss ratio's?

Reply to this post

Response to Jeff In Milwaukee (Reply #12)

Tue Dec 18, 2012, 06:32 PM

25. This was a poll of people watching the presidential debate on their Xbox 360

If your 14 year old son was one of these fellas I will be impressed.

Reply to this post

Response to dkf (Reply #25)

Tue Dec 18, 2012, 07:16 PM

30. He was, actually. I don't know if he watched in on his Xbox, though...

The political junkie acorn didn't roll far from the tree.

Reply to this post

Tue Dec 18, 2012, 01:12 PM

13. an anonymous report of an online poll

not imho the basis for a useful discussion.

Reply to this post

Tue Dec 18, 2012, 01:14 PM

14. Honest question here...

What is the demographic of Xbox 360 users?
If you ask a 10 or 12 year old this question will they understand the operative words in the question?
'Do you support more use of drone aircraft to attack suspected terrorists?'
Or will they see it like
'Do you support more use of drone aircraft to attack suspected terrorists?'

Considering the demographic of Xbox users, I would not think that they have a complete understanding of the situation. They don't see or understand the collateral damage involved in these strikes.

Reply to this post

Response to Glassunion (Reply #14)

Tue Dec 18, 2012, 06:41 PM

26. It was a poll of persons watching the Presdential Debates on their Xbox 360...

So it's a self selected set of Xbox users. What that demographic is I am not sure.

Reply to this post

Tue Dec 18, 2012, 01:15 PM

15. Am I assuming that's opposed to putting people in the line of fire?

Because if those are the only two options, yeah I'd support that too. Of course if there's an option for neither, I would want that.

Reply to this post

Tue Dec 18, 2012, 01:17 PM

17. So they are in line with the congress and the POTUS?

But seriously even the way the question was worded was designed to get a specific response from low information voters.

I would be ashamed to include a question like this in a poll, and the information gained from it is almost useless.

Reply to this post

Tue Dec 18, 2012, 01:20 PM

18. Thanks for that. But it's sad we need to cite studies and surveys to state the obvious here.

Reply to this post

Response to reformist2 (Reply #18)

Tue Dec 18, 2012, 01:22 PM

19. And what is the obvious? n/t

Reply to this post

Response to reformist2 (Reply #18)

Tue Dec 18, 2012, 06:53 PM

28. This is not a study, it is an unscientific online poll

Ask any real statistician, they will tell you online polls are meaningless.

Reply to this post

Tue Dec 18, 2012, 01:23 PM

20. At the time, I laughed.

I tried out their voting app, and when this hit, I laughed. A lot. "Of course Xbox Live users support drone strikes!" In most of the mil-shooter games that are so popular on there, being able to call in a drone strike is a big reward for good play that helps out your team massively. So, I really do think that's all that's at work there.

Reply to this post

Tue Dec 18, 2012, 01:35 PM

22. I also want to mention this

as a fervent CoD player (on a PS3) and an adult woman. If a parent - any parent - purchases a game like CoD for a minor child, I blame the parent. If a parent lets a minor child play a game on any platform - WiiU, PS3, xBox, etc. - and does not monitor what the child is playing, I blame the parent. All systems have parental control features. They are easy to use.

I am amazed at how many kids (as in, young kids who shouldn't be playing) are on with headsets exhibiting behaviors ranging from homophobia to sexism and even worse. I mute them all, of course, but I have to wonder where the parents are.

Reply to this post

Tue Dec 18, 2012, 01:56 PM

23. So they mirror our National Leaders? Woulda thunk! nt

Reply to this post

Tue Dec 18, 2012, 06:50 PM

27. This does not appear to be a scientific poll which makes it basically meaningless

Online polls are notorious for being extremely skewed.

Reply to this post

Tue Dec 18, 2012, 06:58 PM

29. Anything but the guns right?

Just admit it guns were used to slaughter over 20 people and you and all your NRA buddies are scrambling to find something to blame besides your precious guns.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread