HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Boeing increased it's div...

Tue Dec 18, 2012, 10:51 AM

Boeing increased it's dividend another 10%....

"The planemaker’s quarterly dividend will climb to 48.5 cents a share from 44 cents and be payable March 8 to shareholders of record as of Feb. 15, Boeing said in a statement."

http://seattletimes.com/html/businesstechnology/2019925253_boeingdividendxml.html
- - - - - - -
Good for Boeing... good for the stockholders!

One small thing. Boeing hasn't paid any US income taxes for the last 4 years.

When does the country that provides the infrastructure, workforce, legal support, and patent protection get a share of all this?

And people whine about some "welfare queen" getting a hundred bucks a month for food for her kids!

10 replies, 756 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 10 replies Author Time Post
Reply Boeing increased it's dividend another 10%.... (Original post)
Bigmack Dec 2012 OP
slackmaster Dec 2012 #1
Bigmack Dec 2012 #3
slackmaster Dec 2012 #5
Bigmack Dec 2012 #6
slackmaster Dec 2012 #7
Bigmack Dec 2012 #8
slackmaster Dec 2012 #9
Bigmack Dec 2012 #10
valerief Dec 2012 #2
leftstreet Dec 2012 #4

Response to Bigmack (Original post)

Tue Dec 18, 2012, 10:54 AM

1. I'm sure you realize those dividends are taxable as ordinary income

As are the wages and salaries of all of the people who work at Boeing, and most of its sub-contractors, suppliers, vendors, etc.

The government will get its cut.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to slackmaster (Reply #1)

Tue Dec 18, 2012, 11:05 AM

3. No.. the government will not get it's cut....

Boeing is paying no taxes.

The people you mentioned will pay taxes, but Boeing itself will not. Why is that?

We need revenue, and huge corporations who pay no taxes are deadbeats.

Reply to this post

Response to Bigmack (Reply #3)

Tue Dec 18, 2012, 11:12 AM

5. That claim is so simplistic it's really specious

Boeing as a corporation pays hundreds of millions of dollars in corporate income taxes every year, plus a great deal more in other forms of taxes - Import/export taxes, taxes on earnings on its investments, etc.

Just look at their annual report for 2010 and search for the word "tax".

http://www.boeing.com/companyoffices/financial/finreports/annual/2011/annual_report.pdf

ETA No, I am not a Boeing shareholder.

Reply to this post

Response to slackmaster (Reply #5)

Tue Dec 18, 2012, 03:29 PM

6. Specious...? Tell me how I'm wrong..

"Over the last five years.... Boeing paid a (corporate) total tax rate of just 4.5 percent, according to Capital IQ." http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/02/business/economy/02leonhardt.html?_r=0

"Boeing doesn't pay state sales tax on airplanes delivered out of Washington. However, it does pay B&O (Business & Occupation) tax on its gross revenue.
Boeing pays B&O tax at a reduced rate thanks to the 787 incentive package from 2003.
The regular B&O tax rate for manufacturing is 0.00484. The rate for aerospace manufacturing through 2024 is set at 0.002904."
http://seattletimes.com/html/boeingliveeventcoverage/2016336022_does_boeing_pay_state_sales_tax_on_those_dreamliners.html

"In 2003, Boeing used the threat of outsourcing jobs to blackmail our legislature into giving them billions in tax breaks. The legislature caved on June 11, 2003 by passing House Bill 2294. The Boeing tax break was achieved by passing House Bill 1449 that same week which gutted hundreds of millions of dollars from our public schools in order to give Boeing hundreds of millions of dollars in additional tax breaks. As a direct result of these massive tax give aways, our public schools are now among the lowest funded and most over crowded schools in America.

Those tax breaks were supposedly to “save jobs.” But Boeing still outsourced thousands of the jobs anyway later that same year. So we lost the money and the jobs. A Boeing Lobbyist called it turning our State legislature into a “Cash Cow.” Boeing union workers have referred to it as the “Disappearing Boeing Airplane” because outsourcing of high paying jobs has been going on for many years. Many legislators privately refer to it as Corporate Welfare. In reality, it is nothing more than blackmail.
On June 18, 2003, the Seattle Times published an article called “Gov. Locke signs
Boeing tax breaks worth $3 billion” It described the tax break as including a 40% cut in Boeing’s Business and Occupation tax from 0.5% to 0.3%. But it also noted that all of Boeing’s property taxes on the new facility will be set off against the amount of the B & O tax Boeing pays - making Boeing’s effective B & O tax rate ZERO. The State has reported that the entire tax break (which includes many other components is worth $3.2 billion over 20 years. This comes to $160 million per year."
http://realwashingtonstatebudget.info/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=55&Itemid=60

"Boeing has done well in the past three years earning $10 billion in domestic pre-tax profits between 2008 and 2010. And this, it is said by Republicans, is a good thing for America because a successful business pays taxes into the coffers of the U.S. government.
Only one problem; the U.S. government paid Boeing "a rebate of $75 million."
Incidentally, a 2008 General Accounting Office report found that the airline and arms maker "had 38 subsidiaries in foreign tax havens." In the era of the transnational corporation, having various subsidiaries allows these tax evaders the accounting obfuscation necessary to hide where they received their profits and which part is owned by which other part of the company."
http://politics.gather.com/viewArticle.action?articleId=281474979102433

Boeing pays lots of taxes overseas.... bribes, too. They're not such good citizens.... http://www.kycbs.net/BoeingBound.htm

- - - -
I'd love to read the link you provided, but the whole thing doesn't load. Enlighten me... are those taxes you're talking about paid in the US? Or are they paid overseas..?... the "38 subsidiaries in foreign tax havens?

Reply to this post

Response to Bigmack (Reply #6)

Tue Dec 18, 2012, 03:39 PM

7. Nothing in your post supports the claim that Boeing pays no taxes

But thanks for trying.

I'd love to read the link you provided, but the whole thing doesn't load. Enlighten me... are those taxes you're talking about paid in the US? Or are they paid overseas..?... the "38 subsidiaries in foreign tax havens?

In summary: Boeing paid $1.3 billion in US corporate income tax for the year 2010.

Reply to this post

Response to slackmaster (Reply #7)

Tue Dec 18, 2012, 04:33 PM

8. Thanks for trying...?

My OP specified Zero income taxes.

My reply to you included "Over the last five years.... Boeing paid a (corporate) total tax rate of just 4.5 percent, according to Capital IQ." http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/02/business/economy/02leonhardt.html?_r=0

Does all this sound like a good corporate citizen to you?

Zero US income taxes.. actually tax credits..

A corporate tax rate of 4.5%...

No state sales taxes on planes built in the state...

A state B&O tax of zero...

Zero state property tax on some buildings.. $650 million in property tax relief in Wichita, for example.

Subsidiaries in tax havens to dodge taxes...

Why are you snarky with me and so easy on Boeing?

Reply to this post

Response to Bigmack (Reply #8)

Tue Dec 18, 2012, 05:34 PM

9. 4.5 percent of billions of dollars sure doesn't sound like zero to me

Reply to this post

Response to slackmaster (Reply #9)

Tue Dec 18, 2012, 08:25 PM

10. You win. I now loves me some Boeing. nt

Reply to this post

Tue Dec 18, 2012, 10:54 AM

2. Bingo! nt

Reply to this post

Tue Dec 18, 2012, 11:09 AM

4. Mandate all seniors go to work for Boeing!

This could solve some problems

DURec

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread