HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » White House Petition to B...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Tue Dec 18, 2012, 10:20 AM

White House Petition to Ban assault weapons and high capacity magazines is growing

Let's make it grow faster than the one in favor of assault weapons! In the time it took me to post this, 70 more people signed it. It's now at 20, 387. Now 20, 422.

WE PETITION THE OBAMA ADMINISTRATION TO:
Urge Congress to advance federal legislation banning the sale of assault rifles & high capacity magazines.
The goal of this petition is to make illegal the sale of assault rifles and high capacity magazines. While not an indictment of the 2nd Amendment, we feel the time has come to address the ambiguous language allowing citizens the right to bear arms. There can be no practical reason for non-military personnel to own these sorts of armaments.

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/urge-congress-advance-federal-legislation-banning-sale-assault-rifles-high-capacity-magazines/ssgnNqVT

13 replies, 1733 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 13 replies Author Time Post
Reply White House Petition to Ban assault weapons and high capacity magazines is growing (Original post)
Chiquitita Dec 2012 OP
peacebird Dec 2012 #1
Chiquitita Dec 2012 #3
MK-Park Ridge Dec 2012 #2
Chiquitita Dec 2012 #4
MK-Park Ridge Dec 2012 #5
peacebird Dec 2012 #7
uppityperson Dec 2012 #8
MK-Park Ridge Dec 2012 #9
nadinbrzezinski Dec 2012 #11
rhett o rick Dec 2012 #6
nadinbrzezinski Dec 2012 #10
MK-Park Ridge Dec 2012 #12
Chiquitita Dec 2012 #13

Response to Chiquitita (Original post)

Tue Dec 18, 2012, 10:34 AM

1. Just went and signed it, then tweeted a link

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to peacebird (Reply #1)

Tue Dec 18, 2012, 10:38 AM

3. Thank you peacebird!

Reply to this post

Tue Dec 18, 2012, 10:37 AM

2. Thank you

A friend called your post to my attention a few minutes ago. Thank you.

We started at around 6PM on Saturday, and passed the 150 signature threshold in about 3 hours (mainly friends from the Chicago area.) That's when the petition showed up in public at Whitehouse.gov. There was some doubt about reaching 25,000 within 30 days, which as you probably knows gets us a White House response.

By the time I checked in on Sunday morning, ...well, I was absolutely shocked. I guess I shouldn't have been, considering the events of the last few days. I was telling a friend this morning that we'll hopefully reach 25,000 today, and then we can start thinking about 100,000 by Christmas.

Thanks again for posting this.

MK

Reply to this post

Response to MK-Park Ridge (Reply #2)

Tue Dec 18, 2012, 10:41 AM

4. How excellent to get a message from the originator of the petition! And welcome to DU.

I was looking at your name, first signature on the petition, thinking I admire that person. The language of your petition is right on -- very precise, such a good place to start some meaningful gun control. I hope the signatures continue to pile on.

Reply to this post

Response to Chiquitita (Reply #4)

Tue Dec 18, 2012, 10:47 AM

5. My pleasure

I've had several people tell me that I picked the right words. I guess even a blind squirrel finds a nut sometimes huh? It just seems like a starting point. A middle ground.

I'm a gun owner. Some have a hard time believing me when I tell them that. The debate has been waged by extremes, and that never seems to accomplish anything. A total gun ban will never happen, but even the most staunch defenders of the 2nd Amendment have a hard time arguing against a ban on high capacity magazines. I mean seriously, how many rounds do you need stored in your weapon at one time?

This morning, Cerberus, the people who own Bushmaster, have announced that they're selling their share in the company. Also, Dick's Sporting Goods is suspending sales of semi-auto rifles indefinitely, and even WalMart announced today that they won't be taking any online orders for semi-auto rifles until further notice.

We're making progress.

Peace.

MK

Reply to this post

Response to MK-Park Ridge (Reply #5)

Tue Dec 18, 2012, 11:46 AM

7. Well done! Bravo!

Reply to this post

Response to MK-Park Ridge (Reply #5)

Tue Dec 18, 2012, 11:50 AM

8. Thank you. Signed it.

Reply to this post

Response to uppityperson (Reply #8)

Tue Dec 18, 2012, 12:03 PM

9. Thanks for signing

Some fun with math.

65 hours since the petition started.

That's 3900 minutes.

21,275 signatures in 3900 minutes = 5.4 signatures per minute.

5.4 signatures per minute= 1 every 11.1 seconds of every minute of those 65 hours.

There is a signature from every state in the union, plus Washington DC, Puerto Rico, American Samoa, and multiple military bases from around the world. The last 5 states to sign in were Alaska, West Virginia, Wyoming, Montana, and South Dakota, with the latter ...South Dakota....being the last state to be represented.

Reply to this post

Response to MK-Park Ridge (Reply #2)

Tue Dec 18, 2012, 12:07 PM

11. No, thank you

Reply to this post

Tue Dec 18, 2012, 11:36 AM

6. k&r

Reply to this post