HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » "The Prison" is...

Tue Dec 18, 2012, 09:19 AM

"The Prison" is what we nicknamed my All Girls HS (Catholic)

It was in Manhattan just a three blocks away from the docks. There were only two entrances: the front, and the back Fire Exit. Every single window, including the upper floors, had iron bars on them, which could not be removed.

The doors? The front door was a huge heavy metal double door with an iron deadbolt across the doors inside. There was no window in that, only a peephole. When these doors were locked, at all times while school was in session, there was no way to get inside, or out unless you were LET out by staff. There was an intercom outside the door to the office. Anyone, including students, would have to press the intercom (not buzzer), and speak to the office. Then someone would have to go to the door, look through the peep hole, and then unlock the bolt and open the doors from the inside.

The Fire Exit door could not be opened from the outside. That door also had a metal "bolt" inside, but could be pushed open from the inside in case of a fire.

A few years ago I took my daughters to see my old HS. It is still there, and looks exactly the same as it did back in the 60s.

2 replies, 385 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply "The Prison" is what we nicknamed my All Girls HS (Catholic) (Original post)
HockeyMom Dec 2012 OP
Smarmie Doofus Dec 2012 #1
Brickbat Dec 2012 #2

Response to HockeyMom (Original post)

Tue Dec 18, 2012, 09:38 AM

1. Most people don't want to live that way. They don't want their kids to live that way.

I don't want to live that way.

Alas... I think we are discussing the American schools of the ( not too distant) future.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to HockeyMom (Original post)

Tue Dec 18, 2012, 09:41 AM

2. Well, you can't be too careful when protecting a young lady's virtue.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread