HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » My letter to Obama on New...

Mon Dec 17, 2012, 05:26 PM

My letter to Obama on Newtown shooting

I'm sure you heard that several teachers took bullets to protect their students in the recent Newtown massacre.

I am the husband of a K-12 teacher, not one myself, so there’s no immodesty in my saying this: how many hedge fund managers, billionaire trust fund “philanthropists,” corporate testing, textbook, and charter school profiteers, and their fully owned politicians would take a bullet for a kid?

Hell, most of them would not even spend an entire day in a classroom, and only open their mouths about teachers to bash them and say how they themselves could educate kids better and collect a tidy profit in the process (so far they've only succeeded at the collecting profit part).

My wife is a special education teacher and spends nearly every waking minute outside of her classroom on lesson plans and bureaucratic paperwork for her school, and the first couple of years she taught, she spent thousands of dollars out of her own pocket to buy books and other materials for students.

Isn't it time to stop beating up teachers and start listening to what they want to do to fix schools instead of the sociopaths on Wall Street who treat teachers with just slightly less contempt than the gunman in Newtown did?

5 replies, 637 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 5 replies Author Time Post
Reply My letter to Obama on Newtown shooting (Original post)
yurbud Dec 2012 OP
ellisonz Dec 2012 #1
yurbud Dec 2012 #3
Laurian Dec 2012 #2
spanone Dec 2012 #4
yurbud Dec 2012 #5

Response to yurbud (Original post)

Mon Dec 17, 2012, 05:29 PM

1. Excellent letter.

I'm really tired of the teacher/union bashing too.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to ellisonz (Reply #1)

Mon Dec 17, 2012, 09:49 PM

3. especially from the party we give our time, money, and votes to

Reply to this post

Mon Dec 17, 2012, 05:33 PM

2. Perfectly stated. I think the importance and value of teachers

needs to be a stated as often as possible. There has been absolutely no balance in the recent discussions about teachers and education.

Reply to this post

Mon Dec 17, 2012, 09:51 PM

4. k&r...

Reply to this post

Response to spanone (Reply #4)

Tue Dec 18, 2012, 02:24 PM

5. thanks!

Reply to this post