HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » VICTORIA KENNEDY FOR US S...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Sun Dec 16, 2012, 06:44 AM

VICTORIA KENNEDY FOR US SENATE MASS-The DREAM LIVES ON- with Guns as the #1 issue

the timing could not be more perfect for this.
Three days ago, this option was not in play, but now it is.

And we can not only win an election, stop Scott Brown from winning, but once again

A KENNEDY CAN TAKE CHARGE AND LEAD THE NATION IN SOMETHING THAT IS RIGHT NOW THE SINGLE #1 ISSUE THERE IS.

AND WE CAN HAVE THIS DEBATE FOR 90 DAYS.

(yes, I am screaming this, because it is so damn perfect. A perfect storm, can lead the Kennedy ideal to reemerge forever.)

This can be a revolution in America.

All that is needed to solidly defeat Scott Brown is the following-

STEP ONE
Name Victoria Kennedy the interim Senator, and a special election for 120 days from now(or less).

Have Victoria Kennedy run as a strong ANTI-GUN, ANTI-NRA candidate, and reframe the whole freakin' gun issue.

Mrs. Kennedy already is known for wanting new gun ideas put into play, but this so outgoes anything in the past

Step two
Scott Brown is going to get 10s of millions, maybe 100s of millions of dollars from the super pacs. (and in 2012 because of his gun view he got money from I know Mike.)

In 2013- with Mrs. Kennedy leading the way

HAVE HER FULLY BACKED by Mike Bloomberg with unlimited amounts of money to defeat the NRA.
(the whole point of his 2012 backing was Scott was out of the box with his anti-gun prior view.
But this is a whole new level.)

Mike is a liberal lifetime from Mass who won election in NY, simliar to how Bobby won election in NY and Hillary won election in NY, all in a state not theirs.

Victoria Kennedy's election can mean THE DREAM LIVES ON WITH THE KENNEDY NAME BEHIND THE DREAM OUT FRONT AND CENTER OF A MAJOR ISSUE

Ted Kennedy's lifelong dream was health care
The gun kills and harms and costs millions in health care

Let's reframe the gun issue as one of terror and one of health care

AND UTILITZING ALL ASSETS NEEDED, let's defeat the NRA (and let's call the NRA what they are...you don't see Alqueeda have million dollar suits going to DC to defend them...let's freeze the NRA assets as a terror org, once guns are reclassified

Reframe

and let's renew the Dream

THE DREAM LIVES ON

And-if this goes viral, maybe is it too early to dream even bigger-
to have a Kennedy again in the White House in the future (or as VP???)

This is a once in a lifetime moment in politics.

LET'S DO IT FOR TEDDY and for America themselves.

Victoria Kennedy for US Senate and possibly then Victoria Kennedy for VP and President

8 replies, 1349 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 8 replies Author Time Post
Reply VICTORIA KENNEDY FOR US SENATE MASS-The DREAM LIVES ON- with Guns as the #1 issue (Original post)
graham4anything Dec 2012 OP
graham4anything Dec 2012 #1
allrevvedup Dec 2012 #2
graham4anything Dec 2012 #3
allrevvedup Dec 2012 #4
66 dmhlt Dec 2012 #5
graham4anything Dec 2012 #6
ReRe Dec 2012 #7
graham4anything Dec 2012 #8

Response to graham4anything (Original post)

Sun Dec 16, 2012, 06:45 AM

1. THE DREAM LIVES ON!!!

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to graham4anything (Reply #1)

Sun Dec 16, 2012, 06:50 AM

2. Nice.

Do you know if she's on board? Also, do you think she's up to it? The NRA doesn't always play by Queensbury's rules if you get my drift.

Reply to this post

Response to allrevvedup (Reply #2)

Sun Dec 16, 2012, 07:01 AM

3. We can start a Draft Kennedy campaign. And we can protect her back.

from wiki-

She is president and co-founder of Common Sense about Kids and Guns, an advocacy group begun in 1999 which seeks to reduce gun deaths and injuries to children in the U.S. She is a member of the board of trustees of the Brady Center to Prevent Gun Violence, and has served on the board of Stop Handgun Violence in Boston. She is a board member of Catholic Democrats and authored the preface for their 2009 book, The Catholic Case for Obama. She was named a trustee of the John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts on December 4, 2009.

----------

note-of course we can now go much further, after the events of this week.
But Mrs. Kennedy is already on board the gun issue.

Is it too early to Dream???

I have never seen such a perfect storm type of idea as this could be.
This is a once in a lifetime chance to create history upon history.
Seize the moment as they say.

Reply to this post

Response to graham4anything (Reply #3)

Sun Dec 16, 2012, 07:08 AM

4. It does sound like a perfect opportunity.

I'd be happy to sign an online petition asking Duval Patrick to appoint her, in flattering terms of course. I hope it's something she really wants because she's going to have to secure that appointment first and the name alone isn't always enough as Caroline found out the hard way in 2008.

Reply to this post

Response to allrevvedup (Reply #2)

Sun Dec 16, 2012, 08:28 AM

5. ABC reports she's not said "Yes" nor "No" - BUT ...

Governor Deval Patrick is already making plans to fill presumptive SecState nominee John Kerry's Senate seat. Knowledgeable sources tell me Governor Patrick has already had a discussion with one potential replacement for Senator Kerry: Vicki Kennedy. The sources say the governor talked to Kennedy, the widow of Senator Ted Kennedy, about the possibility of replacing Kerry in the Senate and that she did not rule it out. But don't count on seeing another Senator Kennedy from Massachusetts any time soon: a source close to Vicki Kennedy says she would be unlikely to accept the appointment. But again, she has not ruled it out.

http://abcnews.go.com/m/story?id=17973717&sid=77

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 16, 2012, 09:26 AM

6. Biography of Victoria Reggie Kennedy

btw, even if a temp is appointed (say an older respected Mass. person, ) there will be a regular election soon after that would require a big campaign. Might be beneficial either way.

Here is a bio from the anti-gun site

http://www.kidsandguns.org/familyroom/bios.asp
Victoria Reggie Kennedy

Victoria Reggie Kennedy is the founding President of Common Sense about Kids and Guns, a non-profit, non-partisan organization that works to reduce gun deaths and injuries to children in the United States. She is an attorney and advocate for issues that affect the lives of women, children and families, such as homelessness, economic opportunity, health care, education, domestic violence, and involvement in the political process.

Vicki practiced law in the private sector for seventeen years, with special emphasis on the federal and state regulation of domestic commercial banks and savings and loan institutions. Her practice also involved the negotiation of complex loan restructurings and the giving of general corporate and strategic planning advice.

She is the co-founder and a trustee of the Edward M. Kennedy Institute for the United States Senate in Boston and is a member of the Advisory Board of the Edward M. Kennedy Oral History Project at the Miller Center at the University of Virginia.

President Obama has recently appointed Vicki to the Board of Trustees of the John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts and she is also a Member of the Board of Overseers of the Museum of Fine Arts in Boston. She is on the Boards of Catholic Democrats of Massachusetts and the National Leadership Roundtable on Church Management.

In 1994, 2000, and 2006, Vicki played an active role in the re-election campaigns of her late husband, Senator Edward M. Kennedy (D-MA). In connection with the 1994 campaign, she created a Massachusetts Women's Council which served as a model for other campaigns around the country, and she remains active in her support of candidates in Massachusetts and around the country. She served a co-chair of Catholics for Obama-Biden during the 2008 Presidential Campaign.

Vicki speaks and writes about issues that impact the lives of families as well as the political process such as her articles on health care, "The Moment Ted Kennedy would not want us to lose," Washington Post, Sunday, December 20, 2009, and the politicization of religion, "The Altar is Not a Battlefield," Washington Post, Sunday, May 23, 2004.

From 1997-2007, she was a Trustee of the Brady Center to Prevent Gun Violence, in Washington, DC. She is a past member of the Board of Stop Handgun Violence in Boston, Massachusetts and of the Advisory Committee of the Annual Day of National Concern about Young People and Gun Violence. She is also past member and officer of the Board of Trustees of the Maret School in Washington, DC.

Vicki has been a lecturer at the American University Washington Semester Program, highlighting the public policy issues surrounding gun violence prevention and encouraging college students to become involved on their communities. She has also participated in the First Monday Program sponsored by the Alliance for Justice and speaks and writes on the issue of gun violence prevention.

She received a BA, magna cum laude, from Newcomb College in 1976 where she was also elected to Phi Beta Kappa and several other honor societies. She received and a JD, summa cum laude, from the Tulane Law School in 1979 where she was also an editor of the Tulane Law review and was inducted into the Order of the Coif. From 1979-80, prior to entering private practice, she served as a law clerk for Judge Robert A. Sprecher of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit, in Chicago. In 1998, she was awarded an Honorary Doctor of Laws degree from the Suffolk University Law School.

Senator and Mrs. Kennedy's family includes five children, four grandchildren and three Portuguese water dogs.

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 16, 2012, 09:39 AM

7. I hope Victoria Kennedy accepts this nomination!

K&R

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 16, 2012, 07:45 PM

8. Ted Kennedy passing the torch to Barack Obama...the torch can now be passed back to the Kennedy's

http://tedkennedy.org/ownwords/event/2008_convention

(full speech and video of speech from the 2008 convention, at this link on the official Ted Kennedy site)

There is a new wave of change all around us, and if we set our compass true, we will reach our destination—not merely victory for our party, but renewal for our nation."

...snip...

As I look ahead, I am strengthened by family and friendship. So many of you have been with me in the happiest days and the hardest days. Together we have known success and seen setbacks, victory, and defeat. But we have never lost our belief that we are all called to a better country and a newer world. And I pledge to you -- I pledge to you that I will be there next January on the floor of the United States Senate when we begin the great test.

...snip...

Yes, we are all Americans. This is what we do. We reach the moon. We scale the heights. I know it. I've seen it. I've lived it. And we can do it again

...snip...

And this November the torch will be passed again to a new generation of Americans, so with Barack Obama and for you and for me, our country will be committed to his cause. The work begins anew. The hope rises again. And the dream lives on.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread