HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » John Kerry has ties to th...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Sat Dec 15, 2012, 06:28 PM

John Kerry has ties to the Keystone XL Pipeline / TransCanada corp. The Tar Sands.

TransCanada, Company Behind Keystone XL Pipeline, Hires Lobbyists Linked To Obama

First Posted: 09/07/11 03:20 PM ET Updated: 11/07/11 05:12 AM ET

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2011/09/07/canadian-oil-company-hire_n_952506.html

OTTAWA - Some lobbyists for a controversial pipeline project stretching from the Alberta oilsands to the Gulf of Mexico need no introduction to confidantes of U.S. President Barack Obama.

TransCanada Corp. (TSX: TRP) has recruited heavyweights from the presidential campaigns of Obama, Secretary of State Hillary Clinton and Massachusetts Senator John Kerry to lobby for the proposed Keystone XL oil pipeline.

The effort is part of the Calgary company's full-court press behind closed doors to get Keystone XL approved.

snip

"What we're doing in Washington is no different than what many other groups are doing," company spokesman Terry Cunha said in an interview.

(More at the link.)

17 replies, 1772 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 17 replies Author Time Post
Reply John Kerry has ties to the Keystone XL Pipeline / TransCanada corp. The Tar Sands. (Original post)
Fire Walk With Me Dec 2012 OP
ProSense Dec 2012 #1
Fire Walk With Me Dec 2012 #4
ProSense Dec 2012 #9
bigtree Dec 2012 #17
JI7 Dec 2012 #2
godai Dec 2012 #3
Fire Walk With Me Dec 2012 #6
ProSense Dec 2012 #10
Fire Walk With Me Dec 2012 #12
HiPointDem Dec 2012 #13
2naSalit Dec 2012 #5
Fire Walk With Me Dec 2012 #7
CaliforniaPeggy Dec 2012 #8
wtmusic Dec 2012 #14
2naSalit Dec 2012 #11
bigtree Dec 2012 #15
Tippy Dec 2012 #16

Response to Fire Walk With Me (Original post)

Sat Dec 15, 2012, 06:35 PM

1. Wait

"TransCanada, Company Behind Keystone XL Pipeline, Hires Lobbyists Linked To Obama "

...did you read the title of the article? How about the lede:

OTTAWA - Some lobbyists for a controversial pipeline project stretching from the Alberta oilsands to the Gulf of Mexico need no introduction to confidantes of U.S. President Barack Obama.

I think your attempts to smear Kerry with bullshit information is curious.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to ProSense (Reply #1)

Sat Dec 15, 2012, 08:21 PM

4. When Rice was up for her position and it came out that she owned interests in the pipeline

I also read that Kerry did as well to the tune of hundreds of thousands of dollars. I want to find that article again and get my facts straight, because no one with any links to this monstrosity should be allowed any position of power whatsoever. It would be nice to be wrong about this and I welcome further information.

Reply to this post

Response to Fire Walk With Me (Reply #4)

Sat Dec 15, 2012, 08:36 PM

9. Kerry doesn't own any stock

Also, this is Obama's decision.

Reply to this post

Response to ProSense (Reply #9)

Sun Dec 16, 2012, 12:35 PM

17. no stock

good. thanks. I admit that I didn't bother to dig very far on that one. I really should have.

Btw, I STILL have my Kerry bumper sticker in the back window of my pickup truck.

Reply to this post

Sat Dec 15, 2012, 06:36 PM

2. you know kerry has a voting record on these issues ?

Reply to this post

Sat Dec 15, 2012, 07:04 PM

3. By your 'definition' so do Obama and HRC. n/t

Reply to this post

Response to godai (Reply #3)

Sat Dec 15, 2012, 08:28 PM

6. On Twitter I read posts all day about activists and homeowners fighting the XL pipeline

and tarsands to the tune of arrests and illegal land seizure, be it US citizens or First Nations peoples, this monstrosity just rolls along and consumes everything in its path. I never got to vote about it and yes, I wonder wtf is Obama doing against it? Or for it? It's unclear.

Hillary used to work at the Rose law firm which represented Monsanto. I do not know if she directly acted on their behalf, but I am sick of KKKorporate politicians. Obama put a Monsanto person as advisor at the FDA (Michael Taylor, a former VP and lobbyist for Monsanto). SCOTUS judge Clarence Thomas was a Monsanto lawyer, and he will not recuse himself from decisions on Monsanto cases. ENOUGH!

Reply to this post

Response to Fire Walk With Me (Reply #6)

Sat Dec 15, 2012, 08:38 PM

10. Wait,

Hillary used to work at the Rose law firm which represented Monsanto. I do not know if she directly acted on their behalf, but I am sick of KKKorporate politicians. Obama put a Monsanto person as advisor at the FDA (Michael Taylor, a former VP and lobbyist for Monsanto). SCOTUS judge Clarence Thomas was a Monsanto lawyer, and he will not recuse himself from decisions on Monsanto cases. ENOUGH!

...you're just here attacking everyone? You're attacking the President's pick and the President? What the fuck is the point?

Reply to this post

Response to ProSense (Reply #10)

Sun Dec 16, 2012, 01:12 AM

12. Ending revolving-door corporate influence upon our political system?

I hold all "leader" absolutely accountable for actions which harm the people and the planet, especially those about which the people have not been allowed to have a vote. This is about Monsanto, "Citizens United", reinstating Glass-Steagall, stopping the multinational monsters behind the tar sands and keystone pipeline. They're stealing homes and property! We never had a say in this!

Reply to this post

Response to Fire Walk With Me (Reply #12)

Sun Dec 16, 2012, 01:41 AM

13. +1. sick of compromised politicians and fraudsters.

Reply to this post

Sat Dec 15, 2012, 08:22 PM

5. So does Ms. Rice.

Now I have to look that up about Kerry...

Reply to this post

Response to 2naSalit (Reply #5)

Sat Dec 15, 2012, 08:33 PM

7. I am having a nearly impossible time with my internet connection; if you can dig it up please post

it here. Thank you.

Reply to this post

Sat Dec 15, 2012, 08:35 PM

8. I do not like this either.

Isn't there anyone who doesn't have ties to this abomination of a project?

I'm with you: ENOUGH

Reply to this post

Response to CaliforniaPeggy (Reply #8)

Sun Dec 16, 2012, 12:25 PM

14. Misleading OP

TransCanada hired an ex-Kerry staffer (from 2004) to try to influence him. Entirely expected, but hardly Kerry's "tie".

Reply to this post

Sat Dec 15, 2012, 08:51 PM

11. Okay so...

According to the article itself the claim is that TransCanada has hired the same lobbying firm that the three politicians mentioned have all used in campaigns. That is like saying that you could infer a connection to George Zimmerman because you hired the same law firm for your divorce or the like.

It is well known that JK is a member of the S&C soc. from Yale and therefore, connected to the oil cabal through that connection, which I would find more likely. I think Huffpo has made a sensational play on behalf of TransCanada on this one. Meaning that TC has made this public as a play for PR. Huffpo is a shill anyway, once in a while they get something right. As Jon Stewart called it recently, "Side-boob Gazette" which I find a fitting description.

So, in some investigating I couldn't find any overt connections although Susan Rice shows up as a direct stockholder in TC.

I don't want anyone with any ties to the XL project anywhere near my government, especially the DoS since that Dept will have a lot of say in the approval or rejection of that abomination on nature.

But the Kerry connection possibility is something to watch out for.

Oops... edited to include link

http://www.muckety.com/Query?name=TransCanada&prev=TransCanada&SearchResult=5014662&SearchResult=5030434&graph=MucketyMap

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 16, 2012, 12:29 PM

15. difference, big one

we already know John Kerry.

He'll make an excellent SoS.

(oh, and the 'tie' is some weak bullshit)

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 16, 2012, 12:34 PM

16. Just a reminder

There are no perfect candidates....

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread