HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » The first responders
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Sat Dec 15, 2012, 05:31 PM

The first responders

These are the police who were the first to see the children inside the school and had to tell their families. There are no words.

11 replies, 1921 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread

Response to FourScore (Original post)

Sat Dec 15, 2012, 05:57 PM

1. I don't either. That could be my dad and uncle. I remember when my

dad had to dive into a pond to get a little boy who drowned. He couldn't swim but he took a tank and went down finding him. He never got over that.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Sat Dec 15, 2012, 07:15 PM

2. no words are necessary

Reply to this post

Sat Dec 15, 2012, 07:25 PM

3. as a fellow first responder

I can tell you that you essentially need to become two different people- one on "the job" and the other one off it. If you don't, the job will eat you alive

Hopefully they will talk about it among themselves (IMHO unless you are/have been a first responder you don't truly understand the the mechanisms that we use to cope with terrible incidents).

Reply to this post

Response to bossy22 (Reply #3)

Sat Dec 15, 2012, 07:33 PM

4. Yes, I still have moments....flashbacks.

I am retired now but still.......

Reply to this post

Response to bossy22 (Reply #3)

Sat Dec 15, 2012, 07:41 PM

7. Thank you for your service

As a first responder I can tell you the importance of critical response after an incident like this. Back in the day we would just suck it up after a tragedy like this, nothing a 12 pack of beer wouldnt take care of. Thankfully nowadays there are so many services offered, sometimes it can become irritating after a case if you really don't need to talk or need any therapy. I hope these officers take the help. I can speak first hand of the emotional damage that comes along with the deaths of children, and not being able to save then.

Reply to this post

Sat Dec 15, 2012, 07:38 PM

5. Bless them. They will live with this the rest of their lives.

I can't imagine the horror.

Reply to this post

Sat Dec 15, 2012, 07:41 PM

6. lots of times they don't tell their families, they just suppress it

they just knuckle under, "get tough," and drink more.

tough job. i hope they have access to counselors or something.

that is some pretty horrific stuff to witness.

you will never forget images like those. ever.

Reply to this post

Sat Dec 15, 2012, 07:43 PM

8. The Medical Examiner at the Press Conference today stated that the children he

personally performed autopsies on had been shot from 3 to 11 times. They must have been wondering what kind of monster does that to 6 year olds. It must have been horrific for them. I hope they get the counseling they need. I want my policeman to be human beings with emotions and never have to get used to seeing this kind of terror scene.

Reply to this post

Response to politicaljunkie41910 (Reply #8)

Sun Dec 16, 2012, 09:32 AM

10. I notice that the medical examiner (who is an older gentleman and has done this most his life)

had a macabre sense of humor (which is probably what one needs after a long career autopsying death and murders)... And I'm not sure it was the "worst" he's ever seen, but to the public, he told them what they wanted to hear. I would think a mangled corpse that had sat for a month would be pretty fowl... Or someone who had been raped, tortured, and murdered would be a tough one to handle. I think the scope of the massacre is rather tough to take in; i.e, the number of bodies to process and the age of the babies. However, this was GSW autopsies. There was probably more of a mandate to try and put the bodies back together as well as possible for the parents and the funeral homes will do the best that they can do to make as many of the bodies look "ok". I'm not sure it will be possible for all of them if there were head shot wounds. In those cases, the best would be cremation for the families and spreading ashes somewhere or keeping the ashes somewhere close?

As a parent, this is horrifying for me. Our biggest fears are concerning our children's safety. AND there are so many harmful exposures to everyday living. We, for the most part, try to drive safer with the kids in the car, we stick helmets on their heads when they ride their bikes, we talk to them about stranger danger, we talk to them about "good touch/ bad touch"... When we send them to school for the day, most of us don't worry about their safety, we worry about their academics, bullies, and their behavior... And sadly, the schools are going to go much more into a "lock-down" mode because we don't have "gun safety laws", and if it can happen in CT, the red state/ open/ carry states are going to have to become more "jail-like" because there are going to be more nuttier people in these areas (especially now that the gun-nutter's are going to think their guns are going to be taken away by Obama)... AND these areas are normally red states in depressed economic situations. If there is a depressed ass-hat who wants to go down in "glory" suicide, they now know that shooting up an elementary school or god-forbid a daycare, would be a great way for their recognition-- since it seems that these desperate people want to leave w/ a manifesto of sorts and recognition (who remembers the mass "dead"? the media elevates the shooters to grandeur levels and spends 24/7 talking about the shooter and his family).

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 16, 2012, 03:49 PM

11. What I have been wondering since early on Friday is

were any of the victims the children of any of these first responders? That thought haunts me all by itself. Some of those folks don't look like they are all that old themselves and could be parents of some.

I have been an impromptu first responder a few times simply because I was at the scene... it sucks to carry that around with you, trained or not. I feel for these heroes too, and especially if they are among the grieving parents.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread