HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » I'm curious why DU poster...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Sat Dec 15, 2012, 05:29 PM

I'm curious why DU posters continue to link Freeper filth to this board.....

This discussion thread was locked as off-topic by REP (a host of the General Discussion forum).

....can anyone who does this explain why they do it? That crap is just flat-out toxic to anyone who reads it.

16 replies, 853 views

Cannot reply in locked threads

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 16 replies Author Time Post
Reply I'm curious why DU posters continue to link Freeper filth to this board..... (Original post)
OldDem2012 Dec 2012 OP
MightyMopar Dec 2012 #1
OldDem2012 Dec 2012 #3
tj_crackersnatch Dec 2012 #7
geckosfeet Dec 2012 #2
virgogal Dec 2012 #4
OldDem2012 Dec 2012 #15
FLyellowdog Dec 2012 #5
Lone_Star_Dem Dec 2012 #6
Puregonzo1188 Dec 2012 #8
MightyMopar Dec 2012 #9
woo me with science Dec 2012 #10
Bluenorthwest Dec 2012 #11
jsr Dec 2012 #12
SheilaT Dec 2012 #13
OmahaBlueDog Dec 2012 #14
REP Dec 2012 #16

Response to OldDem2012 (Original post)

Sat Dec 15, 2012, 05:35 PM

1. It's reality! One way or another they're coming to hurt you. it's just a fact.

Freepers are influencing and even coercing independent voters, people who don't vote but might be persuaded to vote rightwing and trying to herd their mad dogs in one direction. We sometimes need to know what's bubbling up from below in the rightwing bubble.

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to MightyMopar (Reply #1)

Sat Dec 15, 2012, 05:42 PM

3. I don't need links or quotes from Freepers to know what's....

...."bubbling up from below in the rightwing bubble". I get enough from the TV news to know exactly what's going on. I come to DU to get away from that crap.

Response to MightyMopar (Reply #1)

Sat Dec 15, 2012, 05:44 PM

7. i also think it is wise

To keep an eye on them. I can't believe that I have to think this way about fellow Americans but its a "keep your enemies closer" sort of thing. Probably not the best thing for my mental health but I feel compelled to watch them continue to lose their grip on reality.

Sat Dec 15, 2012, 05:38 PM

2. I used to ask the same thing. It's crap. But you still see excerpts take staright off RW

shit holes. Never could understand why.

I come to DU to get away from that. I personally do NOT want to see that crap here.

But hey - what can you do.

Sat Dec 15, 2012, 05:42 PM

4. You say it's toxic to anyone who reads it----so don't read it.

Response to virgogal (Reply #4)

Sat Dec 15, 2012, 06:31 PM

15. Wow. Thanks for the great advice....

...what makes you think I don't do that now?

But, I will start putting on ignore every DU poster who links Freeper nonsense to DU. I advise all other DU posters to do the same.

Sat Dec 15, 2012, 05:43 PM

5. I have to read them sometimes

just to remind me of how evil people can be. I'm afraid that some of the Freepers are people that I might even know and this is one way to see what's truly in their hearts. It's scary and toxic, you're right, but they no longer hide behind their conservative, holier-than-thou personas when posting there. It gives us a more honest picture of what we are against.

If someone doesn't want to read it, don't read it. Easy peasy.

Sat Dec 15, 2012, 05:44 PM

6. DU tradition.

It goes way back to the creation of the site, from what I can tell.

Just hide the thread if you don't want them cluttering up your GD flow.

Sat Dec 15, 2012, 05:45 PM

8. It's entertaining.

Response to Puregonzo1188 (Reply #8)

Sat Dec 15, 2012, 05:58 PM

9. It's entertaining as a car accident I and understand people not wanting hear about them

Unfortunately Freepers are among us, at DU and all over the world and they are often armed and dangerous.

Sat Dec 15, 2012, 06:01 PM

10. Bringing the worst of it here can be a corporatist tactic.

Last edited Sat Dec 15, 2012, 06:33 PM - Edit history (1)

I think some of the reposting of the worst vitriol from right-wing sites reflects honest amazement and horror at how deep the divisiveness and hatred in this country have become. It makes sense to me that when people see some of the very worst vitriol, they want to share how appalled they are and have someone bear witness to how bad it's gotten.

But some of it, particularly when it comes from predictable, reliably pro-corporate sources, is clearly meant to stoke the hatred and try to give the impression that everyone on "the other team" thinks and feels that way.

The most significant way that the one percent retain their power is by fomenting sheer hatred between the red and blue teams, so that we attack each other instead of joining together against what they are doing to all of us.

We can't achieve a united opposition even to unconscionable policies, because the "team mentality" has become so extreme and sick and disconnected from political values that we will excuse what we clearly saw as wrong from the other side, just because it is our team doing it. How depraved has the argumentation become, when the response by a predictable group here to news that a Democrat and a Republican have joined together to force greater disclosure on murderous drone strikes, is to viciously attack the attempt, for the mere reason that the Republican is involved?

We will never achieve the power and numbers necessary to stop what the corporate/neocon one percent is doing to this country, if we keep letting them divide us to the point of absurdity...to the point that the hatred of the "other side" is so blind that we will abandon core values and principles of our party, just to defend our "side" and remain in opposition to theirs.

We need to reclaim our shared sense of humanity and our political values and convictions in the face of deliberate, hate-stoking propaganda. This political psychosis of shifting what we will tolerate and condone based on who is doing it needs to stop, and recognizing the constant bids to stoke and generalize the hatred into "us" and "them" is an important first step.

"This insanity, this GARBAGE, this deliberate partisan political PSYCHOSIS has to stop."
http://www.democraticunderground.com/?com=view_post&forum=1014&pid=146626

Sat Dec 15, 2012, 06:18 PM

11. Some extremely active DUers are former Freepers, so they like to read the old

hometown paper I guess. A few of them have gone so far as to make OP's filled with horrid stuff they 'used to say' when they were Freepers, to increase the amount of actual Freep materials here on DU. It is a regular feature on DU3.

Response to Bluenorthwest (Reply #11)

Sat Dec 15, 2012, 06:20 PM

12. Makes you wonder.

Sat Dec 15, 2012, 06:23 PM

13. I likewise wonder.

I do not ever go to the RW websites. I never listen to Rush or Hannity or Beck unless Rachel Maddow shows something from one of them.

I do not feel that I need to read or see or hear any of that crap.

That's just my opinion.

Sat Dec 15, 2012, 06:31 PM

14. Know.thy.enemy

Know what they think. Know what they know about DU. Know their talking points.

If you have no interest, don't click the links. It's really that simple.

Sat Dec 15, 2012, 06:40 PM

16. Locking

This does not meet the SoP of this Forum.