HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » "Not INVOLUNTARILY C...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Sat Dec 15, 2012, 03:37 PM

"Not INVOLUNTARILY Committed, or ADJUDICATED Mentally Ill" have the RIGHT to own guns"

This is what so many gun owners right here on DU have said to me when I say my daughter is Bi-Polar and that she should have the RIGHT to own a gun if none of the above is applicable. I have said that I disagree, and even SHE herself has said that. Yet, these gun rights people think she should have the right. Go to a search of mass murders and you will see that many were being treated for mental illness, but never "involuntarily committed" or "adjudicated mentally incompetent" under the law. I know in Florida, the Land of the Gun, that is the criteria.

Maybe THIS needs to change???????? If you are just plain being TREATED for a mental illness, you are not allowed to own a gun.

As far as the recent massacre, this may be moot since the peep was under 21 years old, BUT as with the Columbine massacre, the gunman/men got their guns from their PARENTS, who PROMOTED the concept of guns to their unstable children.

10 replies, 1381 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 10 replies Author Time Post
Reply "Not INVOLUNTARILY Committed, or ADJUDICATED Mentally Ill" have the RIGHT to own guns" (Original post)
HockeyMom Dec 2012 OP
hack89 Dec 2012 #1
Drahthaardogs Dec 2012 #7
jody Dec 2012 #2
Union Scribe Dec 2012 #3
HockeyMom Dec 2012 #4
meow2u3 Dec 2012 #5
Drahthaardogs Dec 2012 #6
cali Dec 2012 #8
HockeyMom Dec 2012 #9
cali Dec 2012 #10

Response to HockeyMom (Original post)

Sat Dec 15, 2012, 03:51 PM

1. What if that merely keeps people from seeking help?

one problem the military is having with soldiers with PTDS is they fear coming forward for losing their guns.

You are in essence punishing people for seeking mental health help - you are creating a choice where none presently exists. What if people choose their guns?

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to hack89 (Reply #1)

Sat Dec 15, 2012, 05:21 PM

7. Soldiers with PTSD should NOT have access to firearms.

I work for the military. Our current suicide rate is astronomical. It has become a crisis. Most of it because of soldiers with PTSD returning from war. They are ill. They do no need to be handling guns.

Reply to this post

Sat Dec 15, 2012, 04:02 PM

2. Your personal experience and question is helpful. Perhaps we need to change federal law that makes

it illegal for anyone to possess a firearm who "4) has been adjudicated as a mental defective or has been committed to any mental institution;"

see http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/922

I agree with you so how would you amend the law to include others?

Reply to this post

Sat Dec 15, 2012, 04:04 PM

3. So we're going to create a database

of people who have ever seen a doctor about a mental health issue. Maybe they should wear scarlet C's too.

Reply to this post

Response to Union Scribe (Reply #3)

Sat Dec 15, 2012, 04:49 PM

4. If you have to take MEDICATION or

see a doctor on a REGULAR BASIS, then YES, YES, YES.

Did you ever consider that your rights END where others, as in their LIVES, begin?

No rights are ABSOLUTE, not even your precious GUNS.

Reply to this post

Sat Dec 15, 2012, 05:13 PM

5. I don't ever want to own a gun for this reason alone

I have recurring depression and am being treated as an outpatient, medication and all. Something that can allow me to kill myself or someone else when I'm in no emotional shape to use belongs as far from me as possible.

I can't legally own a gun anyhow and I'd like to keep it that way. I can always use a baseball bat to defend myself if need be.

Reply to this post

Sat Dec 15, 2012, 05:19 PM

6. You only need to be 21 for handguns.

18 is the legal age for long guns. Anyone with a history of being treated for mental disease should be barred from gun ownership for five years. You cannot even get life insurance if you are on anti depressants yet you can buy a weapon designed to kill? You must wear your glasses to drive and mentally ill people do not get to own guns. It is that simple in my opinion.

Reply to this post

Sat Dec 15, 2012, 05:21 PM

8. ridiculous. and you may be the parent of someone with a mental illness

but you don't appear very well informed or educated.

Reply to this post

Response to cali (Reply #8)

Sat Dec 15, 2012, 06:59 PM

9. I have a Paralegal Degree

and have worked with Special Needs Children in Public Schools, and with Mentally Impaired Adults in Non-Profit Agencies, in two of the most extreme gun rights states of NY and Florida.

What are your credentials?

Reply to this post

Response to HockeyMom (Reply #9)

Sat Dec 15, 2012, 07:04 PM

10. as a matter of fact, I too have a paralegal degree

and a psych degree as well as a MA. I worked for years as the Victim Advocate in the State's Attorney's office and as an advocate and investigator for the MI division of the state P&A program. In addition, I've served for years as GAL.

Good enough for you, dear?

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread