HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Do you want to know who I...

Fri Dec 14, 2012, 10:14 PM

Do you want to know who I blame for the shooting? Ronald Reagan.

He closed down many mental hospitals so people like Adam Lanza can go nuts because he could not get any help or get institutionalized after being a danger to himself (he has a personality disorder)

14 replies, 1184 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 14 replies Author Time Post
Reply Do you want to know who I blame for the shooting? Ronald Reagan. (Original post)
Panasonic Dec 2012 OP
Arctic Dave Dec 2012 #1
eppur_se_muova Dec 2012 #2
femmocrat Dec 2012 #3
RKP5637 Dec 2012 #5
RoccoR5955 Dec 2012 #10
Freddie Dec 2012 #11
RKP5637 Dec 2012 #4
Turbineguy Dec 2012 #6
Dyedinthewoolliberal Dec 2012 #7
Lokey Dec 2012 #13
Gregorian Dec 2012 #8
young_at_heart Dec 2012 #9
pamela Dec 2012 #12
pansypoo53219 Dec 2012 #14

Response to Panasonic (Original post)

Fri Dec 14, 2012, 10:17 PM

1. I blame the NRA for legitimizing mass murder.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Fri Dec 14, 2012, 10:19 PM

3. I blame reagan for all that is wrong and evil in this country.

his election began the downward spiral. (capitals not used on purpose.)

Reply to this post

Response to femmocrat (Reply #3)

Fri Dec 14, 2012, 10:22 PM

5. It was sure the starting point in my book. And at work, I noticed a great

difference from employees are our most valued asset to employees are our greatest liability. And all of the ME ME ME SH** started about then too.

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 14, 2012, 10:54 PM

10. You got dat right

I could go into a thousand reasons supporting this.

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 14, 2012, 10:55 PM

11. Yup, it all went downhill from there

There's a fairly new street in my town-- Ronald Reagan Drive. The man who destroyed America, forever immortal.

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 14, 2012, 10:19 PM

4. I agree, but some of the state institutions back then were horrific places. What a real

president would have done, rather than a grade B actor, is to have strengthen the state mental institutions and cleaned them up.

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 14, 2012, 10:24 PM

6. Reagan had a lot of help then.

And he still does now.

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 14, 2012, 10:25 PM

7. Bingo!

Some of us are old enough to remember that. We spend money of war and war toys but hardly any on the sick and suffering people of our nation.

Reply to this post

Response to Dyedinthewoolliberal (Reply #7)

Fri Dec 14, 2012, 11:32 PM

13. Yep

Got in an argument with a pro Reagan nut at work about this because her family was in the military at the time and he did "so much for the military" I informed her it was because he cut all the funding to the insane asylums and put these people out on the street.
I know there is some argument about who really closed them down but regardless there are some people who need to be in an institution and it's no fault of their own. Keeps them safe and the public safe.

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 14, 2012, 10:29 PM

8. This should be our national moment to finally get serious about health care.

Let's not focus on some tangential issue, regardless of whether it is important. This should be about a quantum step toward a healthier country. Instead of just glossing over it as if we cared. We must really care.

Are you listening, conservatives? It's not a partisan issue.

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 14, 2012, 10:34 PM

9. When will all the damage done by Reagan be talked about?

It's a mystery to me that Republicans lionize this man!

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 14, 2012, 11:19 PM

12. Reagan did worse than that, he completely gutted the community mental health centers.

I spent most of the eighties getting my Master's degree in Community Mental Health Counseling. By the time the ink was dry on my diploma, in 1988, most of the community mental health centers in this country were closed. CMH centers in the 60's and 70's were great. Anyone could drop in and see a counselor almost immediately in many cases and treatment was usually very cheap, based on a sliding scale for what you could afford. Overhead was relatively low as most were staffed by a range of counselors with diverse backgrounds and educations from volunteers who did intake interviews to bachelor's level counselors running groups, Master's level counselor's for more serious, long-term counseling and usually a few local Ph.ds and Psychiatrists as consultants. They weren't usually fancy places but that was part of their appeal. They were accessible in every sense of the word and if a troubled person didn't find their way to one, a family member or friend often did and were given assistance on how to get help for their friend or loved one.

As another poster mentioned, many of the institutions that closed were a nightmare. If they had closed AND there had been increased funding for community based mental health treatment, it might have worked out in the long run. I always hear people talk about Reagan closing the institutions but I will always feel that the real crime, and biggest loss, was the closing of the CMH centers. Imagine a world where good, affordable counseling was available to almost every citizen within walking distance of their home. We almost had that in the late seventies and could have it now if not for Reagan. So yeah, I blame him, too. Just for different reasons.

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 14, 2012, 11:46 PM

14. this does seem to be his fault too.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread