HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Culture of gun worship
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Fri Dec 14, 2012, 07:18 PM

Culture of gun worship

It's out of control in this country. And the media with glorified gun violence 24/7..yeah it won't make you or I a mass killer, but there is that segment of society that has mental illness and IS effected by the culture of shooting and the nonstop media violence. To some, they are engrossed in it. I know people say the mentally ill statistically aren't responsible for much killing, but that's only because the statistics only include those diagnosed, not those undiagnosed. There are so many undiagnosed people out there. SUpposedly this shooter had autism according to abc. I wonder what drugs pharma had in him, or what ones he may have cold turkeyed on before the shooting?

We should ban semi autos and extended clips etc. I am pro 2nd amendment, I ran a shooting range one summer, I sometimes hunt.. I think these guns should only be for professionals. If the argument can be made that its for fun or for target shooting..well you can say that about grenades, rocket launchers, full auto etc. Yeah they are fun to shoot..but you know what? I'd rather have those 20 kids and 6 adults living their lives than to enjoy pushing a damn trigger a lot.You have to make a line somewhere, and semis just cross that line. A fast finger can make them put out fast deadly rounds.. they were designed for killing people. A semi ban won't stop all future massacres but may stop a few and it makes it worth it.

As for handguns...you can't ban them. There's so many of them out there it's incredible. If banned, no one would give them up. Good people who hand them in would be disarmed and at the mercy of those with handguns. The culture has to change. The violent gun promoting music, video games, TV, nra goons...I know they don't effect you and me, but they do effect some mentally ill.

1 replies, 416 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 1 replies Author Time Post
Reply Culture of gun worship (Original post)
blazeKing Dec 2012 OP
Comatose Sphagetti Dec 2012 #1

Response to blazeKing (Original post)

Fri Dec 14, 2012, 07:44 PM

1. I hunt deer here in Indiana.

All too often while hunting I'll hear multiple gunshots which means the guy is spraying lead at a running animal trying to knock it down. Lots of potential for wounded animals and IMHO totally unethical.

My simple solution, and it impacts slob hunters hunters and mass murderers equally, is this; single shot weapons only, no magazines. You load it one at a time. Eliminates spraying bullets in the deer woods and in theaters. You still have the right to bear arms but you're limited on ammo capacity.

Due to fear of sentiments like mine becoming law, firearms dealers are going to make a fortune tomorrow.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread