HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Fuck you, guns
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Fri Dec 14, 2012, 04:14 PM

Fuck you, guns

http://jezebel.com/5968540/fuck-you-guns

Twenty-nine people including twenty-two little kids were massacred today at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Connecticut, according to the most recent reports. As of now, it's the second-deadliest shooting in U.S. history. How could such a thing happen? Easily: Because we refuse to talk about gun control in this country. Actually, fuck the term "gun control"; we refuse to talk about how to prevent fucking massacres from happening over and over again thanks to how fucking simple it is for practically anyone to get their hands on some nifty automated mass murdering weapons. Fuck everyone who says today isn't the time to politicize gun violence. Most of all, fuck the NRA and all of its political cronies. This is your fault.

Fuck you, White House Press Secretary Jay Carney,for saying that "today is not that day" to discuss gun control. The only acceptable explanation for that statement is that you got cut off from saying, "because yesterday was." Off the top of my head: this year's Dark Night Rises shooting massacre in Aurora might have been an excellent time to bring up the topic! But, no, we had an election to take care of, and neither candidate wanted to tackle the 2nd Amendment some Americans hold so near and dear; Obama discussed gun control a totalof 3 times on the campaign trail. 3 times.

We could've talked about it,oh, anytime inthe past 13 years since Columbine, because there have been at least 31 school shootings in the U.S. since then. It's a waste of our time to keep listing all of the times we could've talked about it; it's easier just to say the time was then, the time is tomorrow, and the time is now.

Hey, White House: we know you're trying to be respectful, but respect doesn't mean shit to the dozens of families who just lost their little kids and loved ones. Respect them by starting the conversation right now. Start it tonight.

38 replies, 3754 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 38 replies Author Time Post
Reply Fuck you, guns (Original post)
redqueen Dec 2012 OP
RKP5637 Dec 2012 #1
redqueen Dec 2012 #2
CrispyQ Dec 2012 #3
redqueen Dec 2012 #6
CrispyQ Dec 2012 #7
Flatulo Dec 2012 #11
Spider Jerusalem Dec 2012 #12
laundry_queen Dec 2012 #32
white_wolf Dec 2012 #13
Ineeda Dec 2012 #33
Scootaloo Dec 2012 #14
freshwest Dec 2012 #29
Skittles Dec 2012 #9
DIAMOND5555 Jan 2013 #37
Helen Reddy Dec 2012 #4
redqueen Dec 2012 #5
Skittles Dec 2012 #10
marions ghost Dec 2012 #8
NightOwwl Dec 2012 #15
NRA_SUCKS Dec 2012 #21
marble falls Dec 2012 #16
retread Dec 2012 #17
maindawg Dec 2012 #18
pasto76 Dec 2012 #19
NRA_SUCKS Dec 2012 #22
CindyinIndy Dec 2012 #20
moxie.lu Dec 2012 #25
Major Nikon Dec 2012 #26
mbperrin Dec 2012 #23
Atypical Liberal Dec 2012 #24
NightOwwl Dec 2012 #27
mbperrin Dec 2012 #30
Atypical Liberal Dec 2012 #36
lib2DaBone Dec 2012 #28
Iggy Dec 2012 #35
Renew Deal Dec 2012 #31
Iggy Dec 2012 #34
DIAMOND5555 Jan 2013 #38

Response to redqueen (Original post)

Fri Dec 14, 2012, 04:16 PM

1. K&R !!! K&R !!! K&R !!! K&R !!! K&R !!! n/t

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to RKP5637 (Reply #1)

Fri Dec 14, 2012, 04:26 PM

2. I wish I could paste the whole thing. It's worth reading.

Sigh.

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 14, 2012, 04:28 PM

3. My letter to my senators & rep:

12/14/12

I want to know when we're going to address the gun situation in this country. As of this moment, 20 children are dead in CT because some nut got a hold of a gun. TWENTY CHILDREN!

Some say that today is not the day to talk about it. I say why not today? Cuz we aren't going to talk about it tomorrow or the next day or the next day. We won't talk about it until the next 20 kids are killed & then we'll say, "Oh we can't talk about this today."

I am overcome with emotion for the families of the victims, especially the little ones, whose parents probably have holiday gifts hidden in the house for them. Gifts that will never be opened.

DO SOMETHING ABOUT THE GD GUNS!

Reply to this post

Response to CrispyQ (Reply #3)

Fri Dec 14, 2012, 04:59 PM

6. Those poor kids...

They must have been so terrified

Reply to this post

Response to redqueen (Reply #6)

Fri Dec 14, 2012, 06:52 PM

7. When will the insanity stop?

It's all connected. Gun culture, rape culture, glorification of violence, it's all connected to this perverted concept of masculinity that western culture has. It's harmful to our species & our planet. It's got to stop!

It's got to stop!

Reply to this post

Response to CrispyQ (Reply #7)

Sat Dec 15, 2012, 12:18 AM

11. Our culture is definitely fucked up. Add Hollywood and video games to the list of things

That need to be addressed.

The endless barrage of violence in the media, online and in music has to stop.

Reply to this post

Response to Flatulo (Reply #11)

Sat Dec 15, 2012, 12:19 AM

12. Most other countries consume American films and violent video games just as much as the US

no other developed country has America's problem with gun violence or indeed violence in general.

Reply to this post

Response to Spider Jerusalem (Reply #12)

Sat Dec 15, 2012, 11:55 PM

32. Because the problem is, indeed, the fucking guns. nt

Reply to this post

Response to Flatulo (Reply #11)

Sat Dec 15, 2012, 12:21 AM

13. I highly doubt violence in the media had much to do with this.

Our problem is the fact that we have a society that makes it easier for mentally disturbed people to get guns than it does to get help.

Reply to this post

Response to white_wolf (Reply #13)

Sun Dec 16, 2012, 08:00 AM

33. IMO, the impact of violence in our 'entertainment' media,

games, movies, etc., is in the desensitizing affect it has -- certainly not the only influence on the violent/gun culture of the US, but definitely relevant.

Reply to this post

Sat Dec 15, 2012, 05:48 AM

14. I wish I could rec your post, Crispy.

Reply to this post

Sat Dec 15, 2012, 11:01 PM

29. +1

Reply to this post

Response to redqueen (Reply #6)

Fri Dec 14, 2012, 09:48 PM

9. I am going to have to avoid seeing their pictures

can't take it

Reply to this post

Response to CrispyQ (Reply #3)

Fri Dec 14, 2012, 04:34 PM

4. It's a good article.

I'm just afraid in a few days, the energy for a more comprehensive discussion about guns will be a quiet whisper. Today is the story du-jour.

We need a sustained comittment to sane gun laws.

Reply to this post

Response to Helen Reddy (Reply #4)

Fri Dec 14, 2012, 04:56 PM

5. The NRA lovers and gun nuts never slow down.

Reply to this post

Response to redqueen (Reply #5)

Fri Dec 14, 2012, 09:49 PM

10. sick fucks cannot even wait one fucking day

they're on DU tonight saying the problem really doesn't go past the shooter's family

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 14, 2012, 09:44 PM

8. 181 school shootings since Columbine

I thin that was reported on the Ed Show.

Reply to this post

Sat Dec 15, 2012, 06:16 AM

15. Strict gun control laws will ease the symptoms.

But they won't cure the disease.

We are born innocent and if we are lucky we get a couple years of happiness and joy. But soon enough it's time to conform to societies constraints. Go to school, get a job, get married, have a family, then we die.

Well you know what? That doesn't work for a lot of people. Trying to fit a square peg into a round hole for years on end can have debilitating consequences. It's not about us versus them, or right versus left. It's about how we are taught from childhood to fit into little boxes instead of allowing us the freedom to figure out for ourselves who we really are.

Gun control laws will bandage the wounds for awhile, but the disease is still festering inside, ready to explode again and again.

Reply to this post

Response to NightOwwl (Reply #15)

Sat Dec 15, 2012, 04:06 PM

21. I think it's the fear and hate talk on the radio that's the biggest problem

with insanity, bekkk, and their lord and god limpballs, the hate on the radio itself is enough to twist someone.

before you had the final nail in the fairness doctrine you rally didnt see this in the numbers you currently see.
the foment hatred against the innocent members of the system...teachers, union members, fire, police, et al.

Yes the NRA's fomenting of the gun humper culture certainly hasn't helped. but they are only the worst symptom of a conservative culture that lives on a constant diet of hate and ignorance.

I think, now that a day has passed, that it was NOT the right day to begin the conversation.
this is something that needs a day or so to properly sink in. the cold fires of logic burn hotter than any in-the-moment passion because all the ramifications have been considered.

What needs to happen is we need to make this culture of hate-talk radio illegal, AND restrict non-hunting equipment, AND increase education in schools, AND increase funding for mental health, AND STOP MAKING SEEKING HELP A BAD THING!!!!!!

Reply to this post

Sat Dec 15, 2012, 08:32 AM

16. Its not the guns. Its the mentaly ill that get no treatment because of right wing tax dodgers who ..

think that the if the first interaction with "treatment" is in jail or prison, that's alright. Other countries - Canada, Israel, Switzerland are as armed as the US with no where near the gun violence. The difference is that mental health treatment is public policy. Nations with very tough gun policies have these terrible things, too - Britain and Norway both have had horrific shooting events.

The President is right. Emotions are way too raw to discuss "gun control" right now. The viterol is way too thick.

Reply to this post

Sat Dec 15, 2012, 08:56 AM

17. You are trying to TAKE

Reply to this post

Sat Dec 15, 2012, 09:27 AM

18. ban assault weapons now.

but the reason that we have so much violence is because the endless stream of hate coming from the rushpubliscumbagger noise machine.
Ten years ago, the FCC decided to raise the fines from 27,000 $ to 270,000$ so Howard Stern had to leave the public airwaves. Why is Rush and beck still there? Why wasnt Rush fined off the public airwaves 10 years ago? Write the FCC and complain.
http://search.mywebsearch.com/mywebsearch/redirect.jhtml?searchfor=FCC+Complaint+Form&cb=9N&p2=%5E9N%5Exdm002%5ES03631%5Eus&qid=ab66207309e94b8baacfe9515a8cea96&n=77ee8498&ptb=2488929A-852E-4E6A-B9C3-E24D51E4BD81&si=CIvRudHhjbQCFQuCQgodr3wAQA&pg=GGmain&action=pick&pn=1&ss=sub&st=tab&pr=GG&tpr=jre10&redirect=mPWsrdz9heamc8iHEhldEWbsGZWScZy4Tv3xU6W795stBWMF55XJApeFus15VhrT&ord=8&ct=AR&
file an FCC complaint , fight hate speech.

Reply to this post

Sat Dec 15, 2012, 12:27 PM

19. "today is not the day" was spot on. yesterday was not the day. Today is. Tomorrow is

if you dont go to work on monday and talk about this, you are not doing your part. I already yelled at an apprentice yesterday for saying some stupid NRA type bullshit.

Reply to this post

Response to pasto76 (Reply #19)

Sat Dec 15, 2012, 04:08 PM

22. +1

I just finished a longer post that says this.
give it a day or so to sink in... you'll find your anger hotter, yet colder and stronger than the day of.
Logic can bring greater anger than any one incident.

maybe THIS time...
*sighs*

Reply to this post

Sat Dec 15, 2012, 01:27 PM

20. Why is everyone so afraid of the NRA?

The 2nd amendment was written many years ago. It does not apply to today's world.

Reply to this post

Response to CindyinIndy (Reply #20)

Sat Dec 15, 2012, 05:51 PM

25. exactly. n/t

Reply to this post

Response to CindyinIndy (Reply #20)

Sat Dec 15, 2012, 05:55 PM

26. Because 5 conservative activist judges made it relevant to today's world

Reply to this post

Sat Dec 15, 2012, 05:01 PM

23. Thank you. Correct. The fuckers on the payroll keep anything from happening.

Toxic country.

Mom buys multiple guns, including a semiautomatic, and takes her son target shooting frequently.
Kids spend endless hours playing video games, of which a huge percent are first person shooter games.
Movies and TV shows endlessly glorify violence.
We celebrate when we kill foreigners overseas.

So immersing people in a culture of killing is good, fun, and a game

and combining with real practice with real death-dealing weapons not remotely suited for anything but killing people.

Why would we think we'd get anything else? Two this week. I'll be amazed if it's not one a day in the very near future.

We've baked a cake, and it's ready to serve.

Reply to this post

Response to mbperrin (Reply #23)

Sat Dec 15, 2012, 05:37 PM

24. There is nothing inherently wrong with owning multiple guns and teaching your children to shoot.

My family has a tradition of hunting and shooting for over 4 generations that we know about.

My father taught me to shoot when I was about 7 or 8. He owned at least 10 weapons at the time for different kinds of hunting, and a couple of pistols for self-defense. He bought me my first rifle, a Ruger semi-automatic 10/22, for Christmas when I was 10.

No one in our family has ever killed anyone with a firearm outside of war that I know of, and that war would be WWII or before.

It is not fair to paint people like us with the same brush as the shooter.

Reply to this post

Response to Atypical Liberal (Reply #24)

Sat Dec 15, 2012, 06:00 PM

27. I don't think I will ever own or shoot a gun.

But I agree with you. Stereotyping all gun owners as NRA loving killing-machines is divisive and does nothing to help the situation.

Reply to this post

Response to Atypical Liberal (Reply #24)

Sat Dec 15, 2012, 11:28 PM

30. So do your children spend hours in front of first person shooter video games?

Stand up and cheer whenever it's announced that we've killed some more people overseas?

Think that killing is a way to win a game?

No? Well, then I think I mentioned a cake. Lots of ingredients there.

Not fair to characterize a bag of flour as a cake, is it?

Reply to this post

Response to mbperrin (Reply #30)

Sun Dec 16, 2012, 09:52 AM

36. Yes.

I play Call of Duty 3 a lot, and so does my 7-year-old daughter.

Stand up and cheer whenever it's announced that we've killed some more people overseas?

My children are not aware of those kinds of things. They are only 4 and 7.

Reply to this post

Sat Dec 15, 2012, 10:13 PM

28. The guns are a good place to start....but there is MORE....

You can't ignore the profile of the last 7 shooters.

20-somethings on heavy anti-depressants, divorced parents not in the picture..

ZOLOFT
CELEXA
PAXIL
CYMBALTA
WELLBUTRIN

C'mon America. Let's demand a full scale investigation... and stop the big parmaceuticals as well as the gun lobby.

Reply to this post

Response to lib2DaBone (Reply #28)

Sun Dec 16, 2012, 08:23 AM

35. EXCELLENT Point

I'm not in law enforcement nor am I a "profiler", but after the Aurora shooting I looked at several rampage killings over the past few years.

There IS a definite profile/pattern here; obvious to anyone who cares to look honestly, without the obvious bias of the RTKBA/NRA people.

The shooters are almost ALL young white males (20's to 30's in age), with mental issues, on the meds mentioned, with social/famly issues, they are frequenting anti-social, right wing hate websites, they have few friends, they purchase guns/ammo online using a credit card, or otherwise have easy access to guns.

The notion these perpetrators cannot be tracked/monitored by law enforcement, and some of these rampage killings stopped is complete nonsense. "The Joker" in Aurora is a perfect example: he spent months and thousands of dollars putting together his deadly plan, making dozens of online purchases of gear, large amount of ammo, gas masks, guns-- using a credit card.

Reply to this post

Sat Dec 15, 2012, 11:32 PM

31. I love that web site

The woman that runs it is always insightful.

Reply to this post

Sun Dec 16, 2012, 08:13 AM

34. Carney's Comment- Compared with Susan Rice's Re: Benghazi

Jay Carney's weak, bureaucratic mumbo-jumbo response to the recent slaughter-- note how that got ZERO response from the gun supporting deadbeats in congress-- the very same deadbeats who recently blew up over Rice's bureaucratic mumbo-jumbo response regarding Benghazi.

What's the difference here between these two events?

1.) Benghazi attack was likely perpetrated by brown-skinned terrorists with guns-- we're not (sort of) in charge of gun sales in Libya, so this is red meat for clownservative voters.. "Islamic terrorists attacked U.S. interests in Libya, they must be held accountable".

2.) The attack on Sandy Hook Elementary School: perpetrated (again) by a young white American male with guns, possibly mentally ill, possibly on/off meds. We ARE in charge (right?) of who gets guns in our nation-- but the seller of those guns in this case, as in all other cases of rampage killings, will NOT be held responsible.

Congress has NO comment regarding Carney's very weak response, nor Obama's very weak response.

FAIL.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread