HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » My heart goes out to the ...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Fri Dec 14, 2012, 01:54 PM

My heart goes out to the staff of the local hospital where the shooting in Sandy Hook took place.

I worked at the hospital in Florida where the victims of the Palm Bay shooter were brought. We were in emergency mode waiting and waiting to care for the injured but they never came. They died on the scene. It was devastating to hear the number of the victims climb, but none were making it to the hospital. The grief that came when we were released because after just a few came in no more living could be found, only the dead.

To see consummate professionals walking around doing their jobs with tears in their eyes was one of the most heart breaking days in my career.

So my heart goes out the the staff of the local hospital. Those that may have personal connections to the school. Those that are ready to perform their healing arts but have no patients.

And of course my heart goes out to the families still waiting to hear of their loved ones in the school and to those that have already learned the awful truth.

Peace.

4 replies, 677 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 4 replies Author Time Post
Reply My heart goes out to the staff of the local hospital where the shooting in Sandy Hook took place. (Original post)
Scruffy Rumbler Dec 2012 OP
newfie11 Dec 2012 #1
Scruffy Rumbler Dec 2012 #2
alsame Dec 2012 #3
Scruffy Rumbler Dec 2012 #4

Response to Scruffy Rumbler (Original post)

Fri Dec 14, 2012, 02:00 PM

1. It also makes it hard because the victims maybe known to the staff.

That was always a fear of mine working a level 1 trama center.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to newfie11 (Reply #1)

Fri Dec 14, 2012, 02:02 PM

2. So true.

Reply to this post

Response to Scruffy Rumbler (Original post)

Fri Dec 14, 2012, 02:09 PM

3. That happened after 9/11 also. A friend of mine was an ER

nurse in NYC and she was called in that morning, they were expecting thousands of injured to show up. But they never did because almost everyone died in the towers.

She never got over it, she still talks about how odd it was, all those extra doctors and nurses waiting around for incoming ambulances that never arrived.

Hospital staff become traumatized too, whether the victims show up or not. And in this case, knowing most victims are young children must be even worse

Reply to this post

Response to alsame (Reply #3)

Fri Dec 14, 2012, 02:56 PM

4. The scale of suffering from 9/11 was profound.

It is hard to conceive what they will be going through for this event.

My best to your friend!

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread