HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » It Is Amazing That So Man...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Fri Dec 14, 2012, 09:40 AM

It Is Amazing That So Many Workers Now View $10.00 An Hour As A Good Paying Job --

The GOP, big business and conservatives have really done a good job in lowering expectations of so many workers. It's all the union's fault that we are working for less while working longer. The "right to work" garbage would never get anywhere if so many workers were not so ignorant.

33 replies, 2621 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 33 replies Author Time Post
Reply It Is Amazing That So Many Workers Now View $10.00 An Hour As A Good Paying Job -- (Original post)
TheMastersNemesis Dec 2012 OP
NYC_SKP Dec 2012 #1
Mojorabbit Dec 2012 #23
CreekDog Dec 2012 #29
madokie Dec 2012 #2
Egalitarian Thug Dec 2012 #3
pangaia Dec 2012 #5
LineLineLineReply .
datasuspect Dec 2012 #14
Agschmid Dec 2012 #27
upaloopa Dec 2012 #4
Liberal1975 Dec 2012 #15
upaloopa Dec 2012 #16
Liberal1975 Dec 2012 #19
oldbanjo Dec 2012 #22
Liberal1975 Dec 2012 #30
TheKentuckian Dec 2012 #6
xchrom Dec 2012 #7
LisaLynne Dec 2012 #8
hfojvt Dec 2012 #9
Thav Dec 2012 #11
heaven05 Dec 2012 #10
Mnemosyne Dec 2012 #12
leftstreet Dec 2012 #13
jsr Dec 2012 #17
kestrel91316 Dec 2012 #18
santamargarita Dec 2012 #20
Third Doctor Dec 2012 #21
Populist_Prole Dec 2012 #24
Phlem Dec 2012 #25
Politicalboi Dec 2012 #26
mike_c Dec 2012 #28
raccoon Dec 2012 #31
TheMastersNemesis Dec 2012 #33
gkhouston Dec 2012 #32

Response to TheMastersNemesis (Original post)

Fri Dec 14, 2012, 09:43 AM

1. I earned $11.75/hour as a teen in 1976.

Prevailing wage, outdoor work.

Ten bucks today is poverty level.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to NYC_SKP (Reply #1)

Fri Dec 14, 2012, 12:42 PM

23. I earned 5 dollars an hour as an RN in 1976.

My apartment rent was 200 bucks. I still have some pay stubs.

Reply to this post

Response to NYC_SKP (Reply #1)

Fri Dec 14, 2012, 01:16 PM

29. i was earning $14/hour filing medical records and requests in 1994

it was a union job too.

earning that amount meant that i could work a sane schedule that accommodated college and the Dean's List.

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 14, 2012, 09:44 AM

2. In the early 70s I was making $12 an hour

operating a dozer. I can't imagine how anyone today could make it on 10 bucks an hour unless they worked 60 hour weeks and got overtime pay

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 14, 2012, 09:44 AM

3. What I find so disturbing is how quickly we, as a group, seem to forget.

It's like nothing that happened more than about 10 years ago even registers anymore.

Reply to this post

Response to Egalitarian Thug (Reply #3)

Fri Dec 14, 2012, 09:52 AM

5. Too much TV...

Among other things. I don't really watch TV, except for some sports, and I use the screen for NETFLIX. BUT, when I DO watch something, the ads or previews, etc, for example, are so fast, rarely a shot for more than 1 second. pretty short attention span required for that..
When the attention span of an American human being is 1-2 seconds how can we expect people to remember anything politicians said yesterday, or how the Iraq 'war' got started, or who actually spends more of our taxes, or the Gulf of Tonkin crap or.. $11.75 an hour in the 1970's.

Reply to this post

Response to pangaia (Reply #5)

Fri Dec 14, 2012, 10:57 AM

14. .

Reply to this post

Response to Egalitarian Thug (Reply #3)

Fri Dec 14, 2012, 01:10 PM

27. +1 n/t

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 14, 2012, 09:49 AM

4. I made $10/hr in 1965

Reply to this post

Response to upaloopa (Reply #4)

Fri Dec 14, 2012, 10:59 AM

15. That's a lot of cheddar for 65!

My mom graduated from Eastern with a teaching degree in 69. She made 5000 a year and paid 87 dollars a month for a one bedroom apartment. You must have been living it up!

Obviously I am quite a bit younger but in the mid nineties 10 dollars an hour was ok but only if you were a young kid (like I was) with no responsibilities. And unlike today those actually existed! I made 9.25 telemarketing in 95-96. Now someone does that job in India the Philipines or Codta Rica for 2 to 3 bucks an hour.

I would imagine 10 bucks today would be the equivalent of what minimum wage was back then (at least in IL) 4.75 later jumped to 5.25...ok if you are in high school living with your parents, or just out and are living with 3 or 4 roomates but definitaley not a wage you could support a family with.

Reply to this post

Response to Liberal1975 (Reply #15)

Fri Dec 14, 2012, 11:13 AM

16. I managed 3 departments in a grocery stores

and we had the retail clerks union.

Reply to this post

Response to upaloopa (Reply #16)

Fri Dec 14, 2012, 11:29 AM

19. I hear you...

Those were the days when labor still understood their true enemy. When you could find a decent wage and support a family even without going to college.

My grandfather, great grandfather and great uncle all worked for the Northwestern Railroad out of Pekin Illinois. Even now, my grandmother collects 1800 dollars a month from my grandfathers pension (he died in 2000)

It is difficult to fully comprehend how we as Americans could have forgotten so much of our own personal history in such a short time. Unions are vilified by many now. I see them as the reason my grandmother can still live with dignity as an 89 year old. Tragic really.

Grandpa always said that Ronald Reagan was the greatest enemy of the working man he had ever seen. He HATED him, back when he was in college he actually met him when he was a lifeguard during the summers (forgot the name of the town) but grandpa said even back then he was an asshole!

Reply to this post

Response to upaloopa (Reply #4)

Fri Dec 14, 2012, 12:19 PM

22. The starting pay for a Pipefitter

in a Naval Shipyard was $3.09/hr in 1965. A Federal job.

Reply to this post

Response to oldbanjo (Reply #22)

Fri Dec 14, 2012, 01:20 PM

30. That would explain

Why my mom was making 2.40 an hour in 69. With a BA and a teaching position, also Union. (Though according to the teachers I know IL is known for paying way less than other states at least now don't know about then)

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 14, 2012, 09:56 AM

6. Who thinks that? I mean for them, I know some seem to think it is too much for others

but he puts that into their own paycheck to support their own family and thinks it is a good paying job?

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 14, 2012, 10:01 AM

7. du rec. nt

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 14, 2012, 10:07 AM

8. There are a lot of people out there with a lot of power ...

manipulating things to make us think that.

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 14, 2012, 10:11 AM

9. How many view that as a good paying job?

I know I did - back in 2002 when I got my current job at $10.69 an hour, but that was a decade ago and at that time the minimum wage was $5.15 an hour. So $10.69 was more than double the minimum wage. To get that today, you would need $14.50 an hour.

Which I think is still pretty good - for outside of an accursed metro area.

As for the good old days. $10 an hour today is the equivalent of $1.45 an hour in 1968. Which would not have been considered a high wage.

Taking it the other way though. In 1968, 40% of households made less than $6,300 or $3.03 an hour. Which would be the equivalent of $20.05 today. Well, today 40% of households make less than $38,520 or $18.52 an hour.

Only today, many households have two incomes, so they get $38,520 with two people making $9.26 an hour.

My own wage puts me about in the middle of the 2nd quintile - by myself. If I had a spouse making even minimum wage, we'd be at about the median income.

Reply to this post

Response to hfojvt (Reply #9)

Fri Dec 14, 2012, 10:47 AM

11. That's probably another reason people "accept" lower paying jobs

Two earners get you to where one earner did 40-50 years ago. So both mom and dad work hard and they see themselves having an "ok" life. I'd rather see one parent working and the other keeping the house and children.

Corporations have taken advantage of this and are really soaking workers for work and little pay while banking profits overseas.

They call it "lean" or "competitive." What it really amounts to is "exploitation."

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 14, 2012, 10:40 AM

10. corporate

fascist have been working on this scenario for decades. They done what they want, more profit before a living wage doe people. They want our wages at a third world groveling for scraps level. Storm is coming.

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 14, 2012, 10:51 AM

12. I think $10ph is considered the best they can get, rather than a good wage. nt

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 14, 2012, 10:51 AM

13. I don't know anyone who views that as a good pay n/t

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 14, 2012, 11:15 AM

17. It's America's Race To The Bottom

sponsored by Wall Street.

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 14, 2012, 11:27 AM

18. I recently hired a new P/T employee and when I asked her about what sort

of hourly pay she was looking for she said $9 or $10. She was really happy when I said I could start her at $11. And of the dozens of others who sent in resumes, I bet most of them would take that, too.

Minimum wage here in CA is $8-something, but I don't have the heart to pay so little, even for entry-level with minimal experience.

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 14, 2012, 11:43 AM

20. Red State wages...

Kick all these red neck assholes out of office ;fewer Red States and higher pay.
A nationwide strike would nice too.

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 14, 2012, 11:49 AM

21. Around here that's a good wage. (they say)

I have seen $20 a hour jobs go down to that plus there is no job security. The majority of the people in this damned red state are morons.

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 14, 2012, 12:49 PM

24. It seems so to a conservative ideologue

"Team players" to the end; They can't see the irony of cutting off their noses to spite their faces in exchange for their "team" to make all the right noises about social issues and race.

Incredibly, a friend of mine in the midwest told me of a job he just got for 10 and change an hour, 6 days/week, 10 hour days. Said the first few days the place wasn't set up fully for production and that there was nothing for him to do the first few hours. He said he felt like he was stealing from the company!

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 14, 2012, 01:02 PM

25. cost of living

however was much less back then compared to our current economics.

Yea people in India get payed much less than US equivalent, cost of living in India, or China,.......I would say much easier on the wallet,

-p

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 14, 2012, 01:08 PM

26. It's not enough

But it is better than nothing. But of course, $10.00 an hour doesn't have health coverage more than likely.

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 14, 2012, 01:13 PM

28. a young friend of ours, a college graduate (BS in Biology) recently started a new job...

...in the radiology dept of a local hospital. It's a non-union job. They're paying her $9.00/hr, and about a third of her net wages go toward her "contribution" to health insurance benefits. She works 12 hour shifts three days a week and a short shift on the fourth, and cleans a yoga studio after classes in the evenings as a second job. On her days off, she picks up work trimming marijuana whenever it's available-- THAT typically pays about $20/hr, but it's not dependable, for obvious reasons.

She gets by on about five hours sleep, most nights. For all of that, she still cannot afford housing-- she's currently living with her boyfriend's family and occasionally couch surfing at our house.

She is college educated, very smart, well spoken.

I'm so very glad that my own daughter lives in the UK rather than the U.S., where she'd likely be in a similar position.

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 14, 2012, 01:20 PM

31. Who says That So Many Workers Now View $10.00 An Hour As A Good Paying Job?

ITA that there are mucho crappy paying jobs in the country now. Anyone who doesn't know that is pretty sheltered. But who's saying they're good paying jobs?

Reply to this post

Response to raccoon (Reply #31)

Fri Dec 14, 2012, 01:40 PM

33. Reagan Presaged This Scenario In The Early 1980's

When Reagan said that he would create a service economy in the early 1980's I said back then that we were headed for a low wage economy where $10 an hour would be a good wage. And I watched in horror as the GOP and big business made it come to pass over the last 32 years.

In a way I was being facetious, but I know people who are so desperate even $8 an hour would seem like a fortune. And we are still moving downward wage wise because the GOP and libertarian types support NO minimum wage in the US. The desire and are determined to make the "market" determine wages. It's called freedom. If you don't like your pay go get a better job.

Just because the Democrats won does not mean things will necessarily change for the better. The GOP is still capable of adding to all the damage it has done to the labor market.

What I have said about $10 an hour is the new norm in so many ways. In the light of job pay as a whole that number looks good when there is not much else out there.

I worked in labor and the damage done is so much more complex that one cannot deal with what the "Reagan Revolution" has done to the employment picture over time. And it is still no a finished deal until ALL the unions are dead and the GOP and their allies are determined to kill the entire labor movement at every level.

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 14, 2012, 01:24 PM

32. No, it's amazing that so many employers and politicians view $10/hr as a good paying job. n/t

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread