HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Did you know that Uganda ...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Fri Dec 14, 2012, 05:04 AM

Did you know that Uganda had +30% inflation & riots over the last year? Me neither.

This past May (2011), opposition leaders in the capital of Kampala were targeted with firehoses that drenched them in bubblegum-colored liquid, dying their clothes and skin. Their crime? Attempting to hold an “unauthorized” rally in the city’s Constitutional Square. Since April, opposition groups have been leading an intermittent campaign called “Walk to Work” to highlight the country’s soaring commodity prices (food inflation recently topped 44 percent).

But what began as a bread-and-butter protest quickly swelled into a political protest against the country’s president, Yoweri Museveni. The hyper-aggressive response of Museveni’s security forces led to bouts of rioting among the country’s urban poor, with scores being arrested, hospitalized, and shot. The protests died down only when Museveni put the country’s main opposition leader, Kizza Besigye, under virtual house arrest. (He’s currently facing charges of inciting violence and holding illegal assemblies.)

Chances are you didn’t hear much about these protests, though. Lately, when Uganda has made news in the United States, it’s generally been for one reason: a radical anti-gay bill that surfaced in the country’s legislature almost two years ago...Government figures and activists in the United States would do well to reflect on these events—the protests on the one hand, and the anti-gay bill on the other—and their response to them. It’s safe to say that American advocacy, both independent and official, against the anti-gay bill was successful precisely because the United States has a fairly good relationship with the Museveni regime. This isn’t to suggest that U.S. activists were wrong to take advantage of that relationship and speak out against such a loathsome bill. On the contrary, one can argue that American liberals had a special obligation to do so, especially given the evidence that American politicians and clergymen had served as patrons to several of the bill’s most ardent supporters—from the author of the bill himself, to a few prominent anti-gay pastors.

But there are costs to these kinds of relationships. The U.S. government’s public response to the violence unleashed during Uganda’s urban protests was embarrassingly tepid, with the assistant secretary of state for African affairs urging Museveni’s government to be “civil.” Museveni has long since pushed civility aside, however, which was clear recently when he announced his intent to have parliament amend Uganda’s constitution to deny bail to suspected rioters and “economic saboteurs.” This is essentially a recipe for extended detentions without trial. For Museveni, economic sabotage means those activities—think demonstrations—that force the state’s security personnel to do things that make investors nervous...

http://www.tnr.com/article/world/91256/uganda-anti-gay-bill-riots-museveni%20#

Uganda’s year on year inflation declined for the fifth month in a row to 14.3 percent in July after a drop in food prices. This is the lowest inflation rate Uganda has experienced since April 2011 when it was recorded at 14.1 percent. Since then the rate had been on an upward trend peaking at 30.5 percent in October 2011 and slowly begun declining consistently in February 2012...The body however revealed that there was an increase in inflation numbers of energy, fuel and other utilities which rose to 16.7 percent in July from 12.9 percent in the previous month. The statistics body figures also show an increase in inflation for services like the telecoms which rose to 18.1 percent from 17.7 percent in June...

http://www.theceomagazine-ug.com/economy/uganda-records-lowest-inflation-rate-in-15months.html

Those food prices, btw, are the fallout from speculation by western 'job creators'

44 replies, 2065 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 44 replies Author Time Post
Reply Did you know that Uganda had +30% inflation & riots over the last year? Me neither. (Original post)
HiPointDem Dec 2012 OP
dkf Dec 2012 #1
HiPointDem Dec 2012 #2
dkf Dec 2012 #3
HiPointDem Dec 2012 #4
dkf Dec 2012 #5
HiPointDem Dec 2012 #9
dkf Dec 2012 #12
HiPointDem Dec 2012 #13
dkf Dec 2012 #14
HiPointDem Dec 2012 #15
dkf Dec 2012 #33
HiPointDem Dec 2012 #35
dkf Dec 2012 #37
HiPointDem Dec 2012 #38
xchrom Dec 2012 #6
bulloney Dec 2012 #7
HiPointDem Dec 2012 #8
LisaLynne Dec 2012 #10
Bluenorthwest Dec 2012 #11
HiPointDem Dec 2012 #16
Bluenorthwest Dec 2012 #17
HiPointDem Dec 2012 #18
Bluenorthwest Dec 2012 #21
HiPointDem Dec 2012 #22
Bluenorthwest Dec 2012 #24
Bluenorthwest Dec 2012 #23
HiPointDem Dec 2012 #25
Bluenorthwest Dec 2012 #26
HiPointDem Dec 2012 #27
Bluenorthwest Dec 2012 #28
HiPointDem Dec 2012 #29
Bluenorthwest Dec 2012 #32
Bluenorthwest Dec 2012 #30
HiPointDem Dec 2012 #31
Bluenorthwest Dec 2012 #34
HiPointDem Dec 2012 #36
Bluenorthwest Dec 2012 #39
muriel_volestrangler Dec 2012 #40
msanthrope Dec 2012 #41
HiPointDem Dec 2012 #42
msanthrope Dec 2012 #43
muriel_volestrangler Dec 2012 #44
dembotoz Dec 2012 #19
gollygee Dec 2012 #20

Response to HiPointDem (Original post)

Fri Dec 14, 2012, 05:24 AM

1. You think ethanol isn't part of the problem?

Stupidest regulation ever.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to dkf (Reply #1)

Fri Dec 14, 2012, 05:59 AM

2. you think ethanol has nothing to do with speculation by 'job creators' (not to mention political

graft?)

Reply to this post

Response to HiPointDem (Reply #2)

Fri Dec 14, 2012, 06:00 AM

3. Well if by job creators you mean farmers then maybe so

Reply to this post

Response to dkf (Reply #3)

Fri Dec 14, 2012, 06:14 AM

4. I mean Cargill and ADM.

Reply to this post

Response to HiPointDem (Reply #4)

Fri Dec 14, 2012, 06:20 AM

5. Agricultural Profits Pass $100 Billion As Farmers Have One Of Their Best Years Ever

ST. LOUIS -- An Illinois farmer made so much money this year he made loan payments on one tractor a year in advance and exchanged some older ones for newer models. An Iowa farmer upgraded his combine and also paid off debt, while an elderly Oregon farmer poured into retirement funds a bundle of his $2 million take from a well-timed sale of much of his turf and equipment.

While much of America worries about the possibility of a double-dip recession, such stories of prosperity are cropping up as U.S. farmers enjoy their best run in decades, thanks to high prices for many crops, livestock and farmland and strong global demand for corn used in making ethanol.

Farm profits are expected to spike by 28 percent this year to $100.9 billion, and the amount of cash farms have available to pay bills also is expected to top $100 billion – the first time both measures have done so, according to the U.S. Department of Agriculture. All the while, crop sales are expected to pass the $200 billion mark for the first time in U.S. history, and double-digit increases are expected in livestock sales.

"We're just experiencing the best of times," said Bruce Johnson, an agricultural economist at the University of Nebraska in Lincoln. "It's a story to tell."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/12/12/agricultural-profits_n_1144007.html

Reply to this post

Response to dkf (Reply #5)

Fri Dec 14, 2012, 07:49 AM

9. archer daniels midland: ethanol

Ethanol

ADM delivers clean-burning ethanol to refiners through an expansive network of trucks, railcars, barges and terminals. Our customers – primarily large energy companies – blend these products with unleaded gasoline in various concentrations to increase the fuel’s octane rating and help reduce harmful emissions.

Today, ADM makes ethanol from corn through an efficient process that also produces large amounts of animal feed. In addition, we are working both independently and in partnership with other leading companies and research institutions to develop next-generation biofuels made from cellulosic sources.

http://www.adm.com/en-US/products/fuel/ethanol/Pages/default.aspx

The largest producer of ethanol in the U.S. is a company that many of us have probably never heard of. The company is Archer Daniels Midland. ADM is a company that is an agricultural giant in the United States, and has decades of experience. They have a vast network of railcars, trucks, storage facilities, and barges that are capable of delivering high-grade ethanol. They are also working on new ways to produce ethanol that draw on agricultural waste products like cellulose. ADM has made profits of $10.98 billion in 2006, and operates in North America, South America, Europe, Middle East, Africa, Asia and Pacific Rim.

cargill: ethanol

http://www.cargill.com/wcm/groups/public/@ccom/documents/document/br-usgovt-products.pdf

Reply to this post

Response to HiPointDem (Reply #9)

Fri Dec 14, 2012, 08:28 AM

12. No no no...it all starts with the farm subsidies that drive the Iowa caucuses.

Have you ever seen food inc? It all starts with the unwillingness to commit political suicide in Iowa where you NEED to support farm subsidies.

That huge corn production then feeds into our entire food supply as we feed all living creatures the same corn even though it is not their natural diet.

Reply to this post

Response to dkf (Reply #12)

Fri Dec 14, 2012, 08:30 AM

13. cargill and adm control corn production in the us and in the world. and get most of the subsidies.

Cargill and ADM: true beneficiaries of "farm" subsidies
Print
Email
Written by Michael Pollan

It has been estimated that Cargill and ADM together probably buy somewhere a third of all the corn grown in America.

These 2 companies now guide corn's path every step of the way. They provide the pesticide and fertilizer to the farmers; operate most of America's grain elevators; broker and ship most of the exports; perform the wet and dry milling; feed the livestock and then slaughter the corn-fattened animals; ferment the ethanol; and manufacture the high-fructose corn syrup and the numberless other fractions derived from number 2 field corn.

Oh, yes--and help write many of the rules that govern the whole game, for Cargill and ADM exert considerable influence over U.S. agricultural policies. More even than the farmers who receive the checks (and the political blame for cashing them), these companies are the true beneficiaries of the "farm" subsidies that keep the river of cheap corn flowing. Cargill is the biggest privately held corporation in the world.

http://www.gritfish.com/index.php/deep-ecology/government-and-economics/1432-cargill-and-adm-true-beneficiaries-of-qfarmq-subsidies

Reply to this post

Response to HiPointDem (Reply #13)

Fri Dec 14, 2012, 08:47 AM

14. So those are all Cargill and ADM employees driving the entire Iowa process? I doubt it.

Reply to this post

Response to dkf (Reply #14)

Fri Dec 14, 2012, 08:48 AM

15. excuse me? they buy most of the corn and are the price makers, what don't you get?

Reply to this post

Response to HiPointDem (Reply #15)

Fri Dec 14, 2012, 11:57 AM

33. How long have you been following the Iowa caucuses?

Geez.

Total USDA Subsidies in Iowa, 1995-2011
Subsidy Recipients 1 to 20 of 232,707

Recipients of Total USDA Subsidies from farms in Iowa totaled $23,643,000,000 in from 1995-2011.

http://farm.ewg.org/top_recips.php?fips=19000&progcode=total

Funny how ADM nor Cargill is on this list.

Reply to this post

Response to dkf (Reply #33)

Fri Dec 14, 2012, 12:15 PM

35. what didn't you get about cargill & adm buy 1/3 of all corn grown in the US? They are the price-

makers. If the government is subsidizing corn, it's subsidizing Cargill & ADM.

And btw, that's a list of *all* farm subsidies, not just corn. Including subsidies for growing nothing.

Bruce Springsteen, Ted Turner, Jon Bon Jovi & plenty of republican luminaries are also recipients of farm subsidies.

Reply to this post

Response to HiPointDem (Reply #35)

Fri Dec 14, 2012, 12:21 PM

37. That isn't what drives Iowa voters.

And don't worry, we don't need ADM or Cargill to buy up the corn. Now we have China.

Reply to this post

Response to dkf (Reply #37)

Fri Dec 14, 2012, 12:41 PM

38. adm *owns* iowa.

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 14, 2012, 06:22 AM

6. du rec. nt

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 14, 2012, 06:41 AM

7. You'll never hear anything like this about Uganda.

The MSM gerbils are too busy with the Lindsay Lohann and Charlie Sheen-type freak shows and have no time to give real news.

Reply to this post

Response to bulloney (Reply #7)

Fri Dec 14, 2012, 07:42 AM

8. we hear plenty about the high inflation in 'communist' zimbabwe, though. an official 'enemy.'

inflation in countries run by our 'capitalist' friends is apparently not worth remarking upon.

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 14, 2012, 08:02 AM

10. Hadn't heard a thing.

Thanks for helping us stay informed!

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 14, 2012, 08:26 AM

11. Of course I did. Historically genocide movments thrive under these circumstances.

This article (from a magazine with a long histry often marked by various scandals including the dozens of fully fabricated stories from Stephen Glass and a few other plagiarists, not to mention the KGB spy/editor and of the Lee Seigel playing what we on DU call 'sockpuppet' games on their blog) is so stunningly and arrogantly Americacentric that it is hard to get upset by the implications.
The opposition to Uganda's viciously inhuman reaction to their own social problems has been international and powerful. Many American activists have worked only via international groups on Uganda, because of the complicity and corruption of our policy in that nation.

Reply to this post

Response to Bluenorthwest (Reply #11)

Fri Dec 14, 2012, 08:53 AM

16. I have no idea what you're talking about. By 'this article' do you mean the one that says uganda

has high inflation, food riots, and a crackdown by museveni? that is supposed to be american propaganda? what?

i agree the new republic has a history, but i don't see how this article is 'fabricated' or particularly americacentric.

you may have known, but i haven't seen anything about it at DU or in the popular mainstream media. i've seen a lot about the gay bills, though. not much about the role of us evangelicals in same, though.

Reply to this post

Response to HiPointDem (Reply #16)

Fri Dec 14, 2012, 09:24 AM

17. You asked if people knew about this. I most certainly did.

The New Republic article is claiming that American pressures are soley responsible for Uganda delaying their genocide bill. The greatest pressures have come from international organizations based in Europe. TNR does not even mention that. Note that I know about the economic problems in Uganda because I'm not taking all of my news from the US. Just saying. TNR has an agenda, their view is Americacentric. TNR has not been offering better coverage, now have they?
Because of those factors and the history of TNR, I suggested that taking their conclusions without a grain of salt might be in order. They seem to be suggesting that we stop opposing the genocide, suggesting that is a creepy, passive aggressive way. As I said, their own history and the gaps in this very piece lead me to say that people should not take their conclusions to be wisdom without great consideration.

Reply to this post

Response to Bluenorthwest (Reply #17)

Fri Dec 14, 2012, 09:29 AM

18. i'm confused about what you're calling 'the genocide'. the article talks about two things: food

riots, with crackdowns by museveni and the anti-gay bill. it says that activists have paid attention to the second but not the first. it doesn't talk about a genocide.

i am sure there are gaps as there always are, but what are *you* talking about when you say "the genocide"?

Reply to this post

Response to HiPointDem (Reply #18)

Fri Dec 14, 2012, 09:45 AM

21. I'd suggest that the confusion stems from TNR's language 'anti gay bill' without

noting that the bill includes death penalty and life in prison. It is not just 'we won't let them marry' it is 'we will not let them live'. TNR plays that down as it explains that our 'good' relationship with the people promoting that bill is what stopped it. That is not the full story.
To call a law that allows for execution of people for being gay 'the anti gay bill' is perhaps not a lie, but it sure plays down the horrific agenda of the bill. Americans who read 'anti gay bill' are going to assume it means something less than prison and the noose. This is why TNR is not good as a sole source of information in my opinion.

Reply to this post

Response to Bluenorthwest (Reply #21)

Fri Dec 14, 2012, 09:56 AM

22. i see. by 'the genocide' you mean the genocide of gays connected to this bill which hasn't been

made into law -- not the killing of the population during the food riots, the ongoing genocide in congo which uganda participates in ( 6 million and counting), etc.

Reply to this post

Response to HiPointDem (Reply #22)

Fri Dec 14, 2012, 10:15 AM

24. Did I say those events were not genocide? I'm talking about the bullshit TNR is

covering up here. Uganda's regime is genocidal. This is why for serveral years now, international pressures on them to stop all of it and to not make law allowing for more murders have been high on many priorty lists.
Do some reading. TNR says 'the anti gay bill' but most world wide press and even US press call it 'death to gays bill' or the 'gay genocide bill'. Many people use that language because that is what the bill calls for.
Uganda law already makes gay people criminals subject to 14 years in prison. The new law adds life in prison and death as punishment. Did you know that from reading TNR? Nope. Why do you think that is?
Please note that the folks TNR calls 'gay' are Ugandans. Facing genocide from their own government. They share all of the other social pressures Uganda has, plus threats and arrests from their own government. They are Ugandans. They are not somehow Westerners because they are gay.

Reply to this post

Response to HiPointDem (Reply #18)

Fri Dec 14, 2012, 10:08 AM

23. TNR says the bill surfaced 'nearly two years ago.' Yet here is The Atlantic from Dec

2009. 3 full years ago. Not nearly 2. See, tiny facts like that are important.
"Rick Warren And Uganda's Looming Gay Genocide"
http://www.theatlantic.com/daily-dish/archive/2009/12/rick-warren-and-ugandas-looming-gay-genocide/193289/

Let's not forget that Warren was honored at the Inaugural in Jan 2009 and Obama told us we had to endure him, said he was 'America's Minister'. Those of us on DU who spoke out were told we wanted a pony.

Reply to this post

Response to Bluenorthwest (Reply #23)

Fri Dec 14, 2012, 10:17 AM

25. Because that article was written in 2011. but yeah, i agree with you about warren -- & obama's

choice. it kind of set the tone for the rest of his admin.

Reply to this post

Response to HiPointDem (Reply #25)

Fri Dec 14, 2012, 10:37 AM

26. Well that makes a large difference. It is a two year old article.

I'd like people to know that the US sent troops to Uganda as 'support' right about then. Who opposed that move? LGBT people almost exclusively. Most Americans were oblivious to it.
And what do you say about TNR's use of 'anti gay bill' to describe a bill calling for death and life long imprisonment? Other press calls it 'death to gays' or 'genocide bill' because it does authorize just that. To TNR, it is just 'anti gay' and we are paying too much attention to it. You seemed to take issue with my use of the term, which is used by the world and has been for several years now.
2011 is 2 years after Warren gave speeches in Uganda filled with vicious propaganda calling for this law to come to the books. TNR does not mention that. US evangelicals promoted an 'anti gay bill', that's all. No biggie, NC just passed one of those this year. The lack of specifics in the TNR piece allows them to play word games.
Anyone really following this story will learn much about other aspects of Ugandan life. Genocide does not spring from happy content people. History teaches us that governments trying to declare others are to blame are doing so becuase they are abusing their people wholesale. Logic itself would indicate that a law calling for death to a minority is likely tied to a vicious and deparate regime clinging to power against not just the minority, but all of their people.

Reply to this post

Response to Bluenorthwest (Reply #26)

Fri Dec 14, 2012, 10:46 AM

27. i'm completely on your side regarding the use of scapegoats to divert people from their real

problems & would agree that may play a role here. i agree that 'anti-gay bill' is too mild a phrase to describe a bill that calls for execution for being gay. however, the article specifically mentions the death penalty, so i disagree that it is as completely one-sided as you seem to think.

i disagree that the article is calling for people *not to* pay attention. what it's saying is that museveni called off the attack dogs in that case because of US pressure, but continued to 'kill his own people' (as they say) for activism against the regime, escalating food prices, etc --

most people here at du are very conscious of the "kill the gay" bill. they were not aware of the inflation, food riots, and the crackdown on dissidents & dissidence, including imprisonment & shooting in the streets -- which, presumably, the US could also stop, should it choose to -- since uganda is a client state.

it chose not to. that is the point of the article, to my mind.

and yeah, i take issue with the 'genocide' label because i have not seen anything resembling a genocide of gay people in uganda as yet that i know of. it could happen, certainly someone is trying to create a climate where that is possible -- but it hasn't happened as yet, to my knowledge.

personally, i dislike the casual use of the word 'genocide'. genocide is an attempt to exterminate a particular group. if the bill passed and mass killings began, i would use it. the bill is genocidal, but so far there has been no genocide to my knowledge.

we get a very limited picture about africa here, much more limited than about any other region i think. yet it is a central point in our foreign policy and we are heavily involved there, doing a lot of murdering ourselves -- through the use of our proxies in uganda, rwanda, and elsewhere. including the rwandan genocide & the ongoing genocide in congo that has killed more than the holocaust.

Reply to this post

Response to HiPointDem (Reply #27)

Fri Dec 14, 2012, 11:01 AM

28. Yeah, it is wrong to call a bill allowing genocide a genocide bill until how many are dead?

The entirety of the world press refers to it as a genocide law. That is the same press that informs those who look about the food riots and inflation and that we have troops there.
When a government that already punishes a minority with years in prison for existing actively seeks to make law that would allow them to mureder that minority and place the rest in prison for life it is hardly a 'casual' use of the term genocide. Had it not been for informed opposition from around the world, that genocide might have already happened.
Of course that is a genocide against 'those people' and TNR and others seem to have the entire global politics backwards.
They describe a 'death or life in prison bill' as 'anti gay' which is the same phrase they use to describe Chick Fil A....they do so with intention and agenda flying.

Reply to this post

Response to Bluenorthwest (Reply #28)

Fri Dec 14, 2012, 11:08 AM

29. as i said, i am perfectly willing to call it a *genocidal bill.* i'm just not willing to talk about

a genocide that hasn't happened yet as though it *has* happened. that was the point of confusion in your first post.

prison isn't genocide either. and while you are correct that it might have happened if people hadn't alerted, it *didn't* happen.

meanwhile, 6 million dead and counting in congo, which doesn't seem to spark the same outrage with anyone.

Reply to this post

Response to HiPointDem (Reply #29)

Fri Dec 14, 2012, 11:47 AM

32. What I actually wrote:

"The New Republic article is claiming that American pressures are soley responsible for Uganda delaying their genocide bill."
Delay. How does that imply it *has* happened? I then say that TNR seems to want us to cease our opposition to this genocide law.
The entire world press, the same press that IS covering the economic issues you claim to care about calls this a genocide law, and efforts to halt it are efforts to prevent genocide.
The folks not outraged at Uganda's actions are those who have not found out a thing about Uganda because they don't give a shit about 'that anti gay law'.
You must have missed the part where the international gay community oppose Obama sending troops to aid Uganda in the Republic of Congo. Yep. Think that one through. We protested that. The straight world said 'they are poutraged because of that anti gay bill'. The straight wold for the most part is not even aware we put troops on the ground in Congo, with Ugandan army. Did you know that?
"What the Family isn’t saying about the kill-the-gays bill in Uganda "By Jeff Sharlet

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/34783946/ns/msnbc-rachel_maddow_show/t/uganda-be-kidding-me/

Reply to this post

Response to HiPointDem (Reply #27)

Fri Dec 14, 2012, 11:25 AM

30. Here is where you are highly incorrect.

You say "most people here at du are very conscious of the "kill the gay" bill. they were not aware of the inflation, food riots, and the crackdown on dissidents & dissidence, including imprisonment & shooting in the streets"
But if they were 'very conscious' don't you think they know about the context in which that law is being promoted? They are 'very conscious' of it, but also have no idea about Uganda? Really?
I'd say the only people who seem to give a fuck about Uganda's treament of Ugandans are the international gay community. The rest of you say 'oh, that anti gay bill' and you move on, for years on end. 'Yes, that bill, we are very conscious of it. We just never took any steps to become informed, because we are so very conscious....
You say there is genocide going on now. Yet you take issue with the word when applied to gay Ugandans facing specific law to allow those already muderous officials to murder more, more efficiently. To me, that is just odd and hard to fathom. 'Sure they are already genocidal and sure they are focusing on gay peole next for genocide, but to actually use that word...well we prefer to say 'anti gay bill''.
"Ugandan church leader brands anti-gay bill 'genocide'"
http://www.guardian.co.uk/katine/2009/dec/04/gideon-byamugisha-homosexuality-bill

"Uganda is sanctioning gay genocide"
http://www.newstatesman.com/human-rights/2009/11/sexual-gay-uganda-bill-person
"Uganda’s brutal gay genocide plan"
Kathleen Parker no less.
http://www.missionandjustice.org/ugandas-brutal-gay-genocide-plan/
"Protestors Chant ‘Stop Gay Genocide’ At Uganda’s Embassy In NYC"
http://thenewcivilrightsmovement.com/2-look-protestors-chant-stop-gay-genocide-at-ugandas-embassy-in-nyc/politics/2012/11/30/55017

Reply to this post

Response to Bluenorthwest (Reply #30)

Fri Dec 14, 2012, 11:40 AM

31. no, i don't think it's odd at all. i think they're very aware of the bill & much less aware of much

else. as is a common occurrence, because us media rarely give context about anything.

i say there has been an ongoing genocide that has killed 6 million congolese + millions more in neighboring countries. Do you dispute it?

It's gotten far, far less attention here at DU & in the US media than the "kill the gays" bill, which received pretty widespread coverage, did.

The bill was a genocidal bill. However, there has been no genocide as yet -- if by 'genocide' you mean widespread murder in an attempt to exterminate an entire group.

I take issue with talking about a genocide that has not occurred as though it has already occurred. Which you keep doing.

Sorry if that offends you.

Reply to this post

Response to HiPointDem (Reply #31)

Fri Dec 14, 2012, 11:59 AM

34. You keep attacking my use of the word 'genocide' although the entire world uses

the same lexicon I use. I did not 'keep talking about it as if it already occured' my first line about it said 'delayed the genocide'. You can infer until the cows come home that does not mean I was implying such a thing. Why the fuck would I? Facts are there for anyone who cares to go looking for them. Why would I try to make up a genocide? What offends me is you attempting to put words in my mouth. Other people can read what both of us wrote as well as the many, many links I provided from the world press. You don't get to control what other people say, and I am sorry if that offends you.
"Uganda's gay genocide in the making"-2009.
http://this.org/blog/2009/12/17/uganda-gay-genocide/

Reply to this post

Response to Bluenorthwest (Reply #34)

Fri Dec 14, 2012, 12:19 PM

36. from your link: a "genocide in the making" is a genocide that hasn't occurred. i am sorry you are

determined to take offense, but since you are, i will have to say goodbye.

Reply to this post

Response to HiPointDem (Reply #31)

Fri Dec 14, 2012, 01:08 PM

39. Some of what has been occuring and look at the issue in depth:

"Since David Bahati introduced the Bill on October 14, 2009, violence against
LGBT people has escalated, including “beatings, disappearances, ‘corrective’
rapes of lesbians, . . . vigilante squads and church crusades, preachers
calling out ‘homos’ in their own pews.” Furthermore, media in Uganda have
published lists, including names and addresses, of suspected homosexuals.These people have been attacked, humiliated, and forced into hiding. In
January 2011, David Kato, a prominent LGBT activist who had been outed as
homosexual in a Ugandan tabloid, was bludgeoned to death in his own home—
an incident that sparked international outrage. Many LGBT people, and those
suspected of being LGBT, are trying to emigrate from “this deadly place."
This is an excerpt from Emory International Law Review, full piece at the link. For those who want some context and details about what has happened there and why.
http://www.law.emory.edu/fileadmin/journals/eilr/25/25.3/Englander.pdf

Reply to this post

Response to HiPointDem (Reply #16)

Fri Dec 14, 2012, 05:24 PM

40. How would you have heard about it at DU, when you joined a year later?

You've linked to an article from July 2011. Yes, we talked about it on DU, in May 2011:

Ugandan police open fire on protesters

Uganda attacks journalists over protest coverage

africa Ugandas Annual Inflation Rate Climbs to 17-Year High as Food Prices Jump

and June 2011: Uganda Permit required to walk to work to suppress alternative protest

If you were here in May 2011, then 'fess up and tell us your old screen name.

Reply to this post

Response to muriel_volestrangler (Reply #40)

Fri Dec 14, 2012, 05:33 PM

41. It should ring a Bell. nt

Reply to this post

Response to muriel_volestrangler (Reply #40)

Fri Dec 14, 2012, 05:33 PM

42. i've been reading du for a very long time.

Reply to this post

Response to HiPointDem (Reply #42)

Fri Dec 14, 2012, 05:35 PM

43. You read DU for a long time, then decided to do 10k in posts in one year?

Fascinating.

Reply to this post

Response to HiPointDem (Reply #42)

Fri Dec 14, 2012, 05:41 PM

44. Which doesn't mean you weren't posting here for a long time too (nt)

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 14, 2012, 09:31 AM

19. nope not a thing but we did hear about justin biebers love life

used to get a cable channel called scola which was just news broadcasts from all over the world.

there are all sorts of things we do not hear about

scola went away and was replaced with shopping and christian channels.

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 14, 2012, 09:34 AM

20. More of the Shock Doctrine at work

Greedy people hurting poor people. And creating poor people, and making poor people poorer. All for their own profits.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread