HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Winning control of Congre...

Thu Dec 13, 2012, 10:25 PM

Winning control of Congress in 2014

The most important thing we can do for this country is work together and win full control of Congress in 2014. This would be seen as a final rejection of Tea party extremism.

There are a few factors that may work agaist us. The first is that the Senate map really favors the GOP in 2014. Moreover, the GOP did rake advantage of winning big in 2010 and gerrymandered many house districts. However, hopefully we will be in better economic times and we have a chance of taking the house and keeping the Senate.

7 replies, 1290 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 7 replies Author Time Post
Reply Winning control of Congress in 2014 (Original post)
BrentWil Dec 2012 OP
CincyDem Dec 2012 #1
Pryderi Dec 2012 #2
Egalitarian Thug Dec 2012 #3
Swede Atlanta Dec 2012 #4
BrentWil Dec 2012 #5
bluestate10 Dec 2012 #6
TheKentuckian Dec 2012 #7

Response to BrentWil (Original post)

Thu Dec 13, 2012, 10:35 PM

1. So help me out...

This will do what ?

What does the majority have to be to keep someone like Rice in the hunt? 60-40? 65-35? Republicans could do nothing but create a spectacle out of this and shot themselves in the foot. Once again we have taken away their ability to look like world class a-holes in public. It makes me absolutely f'ing crazy.

For me, it's less about Rice in specific and more about the idea that a minority (that would be the losing party) can filibuster a nomination before it even shows up on the floor by just pouting it out.

Before the most important thing we can do in 2014, I think we need to start playing to win with what we have. All the crap about "political capital" is BS. Political capital is created every morning when BHO wakes up and works to take care of the bulk of this country. The best way to strengthen the 2014 outcome for us is to show the country what democratic leadership really looks like at every single juncture.

So much for my rant...we now return you to your regularly schedule program.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Thu Dec 13, 2012, 10:41 PM

2. Decisions are made by those who show up

Reply to this post

Response to Pryderi (Reply #2)

Thu Dec 13, 2012, 10:48 PM

3. American myth #6. In America decisions are made by those that own it. n/t

Reply to this post

Thu Dec 13, 2012, 10:49 PM

4. This will be very tough......

The Republics will do all they can to stop any improvement in the economy or the lives of ordinary Americans.

So the initiatives of the President and Democrats in the Senate will likely be thwarted by a tea bagger controlled House.

I think there is about a 30-40% risk the Democrats could lose control of the Senate in 2014. I hope that doesn't happen. If we could hold on to the Senate, even with a smaller majority, it allows us to control the agenda. No bill will be considered in the Senate without the agreement of the majority leader.

That said, it is critical we take back control of the House. Only then can we bring meaningful legislation to the floor for a vote and, with a majority (no filibuster in the House) we pass important legislation.

Most serious Republics realize they have to do something to revive and re-energize their party. The question is do they think the best way to do that is to become even more conservative and out of touch with the electorate or adopt policies that are more aligned with the voters?

Personally I hope they continue to pull hard right. The more wacko they become, the better for us.

Reply to this post

Response to Swede Atlanta (Reply #4)

Thu Dec 13, 2012, 10:51 PM

5. Go tea party!!!!

Best thing that ever happened to the Democratic Party.

Reply to this post

Response to Swede Atlanta (Reply #4)

Fri Dec 14, 2012, 12:37 AM

6. The so called "Progressives" on our side need to stop the "Blue-dog" bullshit that constantly

come out of their mouths. The reason why is that we can't take back the House unless we win in conservative suburban districts and in rural districts in the North and rural districts in the South and in medium sized Southern cities. The people winning those races will be fiscally more conservative than our current crop of Representatives, such is the nature of the seats that we must win. With the nation becoming more progressive, if we are patient with the new representatives, their districts will soon become more progressive and we can elect more progressive people in those districts.

Reply to this post

Response to bluestate10 (Reply #6)

Fri Dec 14, 2012, 01:19 AM

7. Be patient while the jobs go away, wages crash, the wealth is funneled to the top

cede more power to the corporations, keep pillaging the environment, more socializing the downside and hoarding the profits, total shock doctrine pogrom on public education, more destruction of organized labor playing standing still until the ground beneath you changes?

You can't eat patience. It won't put a roof over your head.

All I hear is "lie down and take" bullshit. Do nothing and accept anything.

I say I'll see you in hell. If you insist on it, you'll have it but it'll be the uncut shit. The choice is yours. Either help lead this nation and its people into bondage or out of it but enough with the pretense that you can orchestrate a kinder and more rainbow dystopia that will magically lead to green pastures in the end if only we stay the course.

Bull fucking shit. Better to burn up quick than roast over a slow fire.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread