HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Susan Rice: This Decade's...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Thu Dec 13, 2012, 10:16 PM

Susan Rice: This Decade's Lani Guinier - TheRoot

Andrea Mitchell reported to Rachael Maddow that Women Democratic Groups, even women working in the WH, were PISSED about this...

Expect more in the coming days...

Susan Rice: This Decade's Lani Guinier
Bullied into withdrawing from secretary of state contention, she joins a sisterhood.

Keli Goff - The Root
December 13, 2012

<snip>

(The Root) -- When President Obama released a statement on Thursday disclosing that U.N. Ambassador Susan Rice had formally withdrawn her name from consideration as a nominee for secretary of state, it marked the conclusion of the first major political battle of the 2012 postelection cycle. Republicans, still smarting from their losses on Election Day, had decided to seek revenge the old-fashioned way: by playing politics. On Thursday they succeeded in claiming a highly prized scalp in their undeclared war with the president.

Rice had become the face of the administration's Benghazi controversy, and therefore the de facto punching bag for conservative conspiracy theorists, convinced that the deaths of Americans in the Libyan city involve some high-level Obama-administration cover-up. But what makes Rice an even more appealing trophy? The president considers her a friend.

Yet the vitriol aimed at Rice led to allegations of racism and sexism, which I have written about and spoken about before. So the question that Rice's withdrawal raises is, what will the legacy of the Rice-nomination controversy be in the Obama administration going forward, and in history at large?

Well, the first answer to that question is that in her withdrawal, she has managed to unwittingly unite the president and Republicans in one way: They all look bad.

<snip>

More: http://www.theroot.com/blogs/blogging-beltway/susan-rice-lani-guinier-sisters-witch-hunt

22 replies, 1353 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 22 replies Author Time Post
Reply Susan Rice: This Decade's Lani Guinier - TheRoot (Original post)
WillyT Dec 2012 OP
ProSense Dec 2012 #1
patrice Dec 2012 #2
WillyT Dec 2012 #3
KoKo Dec 2012 #5
Hutzpa Dec 2012 #17
alcibiades_mystery Dec 2012 #3
libdem4life Dec 2012 #8
KoKo Dec 2012 #10
alcibiades_mystery Dec 2012 #11
KoKo Dec 2012 #14
alcibiades_mystery Dec 2012 #15
upi402 Dec 2012 #6
KoKo Dec 2012 #7
WillyT Dec 2012 #9
KoKo Dec 2012 #12
karynnj Dec 2012 #13
gulliver Dec 2012 #16
WillyT Dec 2012 #18
ProSense Dec 2012 #19
WillyT Dec 2012 #20
ProSense Dec 2012 #21
WillyT Dec 2012 #22

Response to WillyT (Original post)

Thu Dec 13, 2012, 10:20 PM

1. I suggest that

people get a grip. Every friggin person mentioned as a potential nonimee by the President launches a witchhunt...by all sides.

Ray McGovern: Say No to Susan Rice: Here's Why
http://www.democraticunderground.com/10021928492

Donít jump to conclusions about Susan Rice
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/plum-line/wp/2012/12/13/dont-jump-to-conclusions-about-susan-rice/

Susan Rice: Why I Withdrew
http://www.democraticunderground.com/10021974788

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Thu Dec 13, 2012, 10:20 PM

2. So you're defending a WAR MONGER who is invested in DIRTY XL-Pipeline OIL. link:

Here's a good sketch of regional intelligence issues coming out of Benghazi, in which Rice is involved:

http://www.democraticunderground.com/10021974232

DU got suckered by McCain's reverse psychology, but President Obama did not.

Reply to this post

Response to patrice (Reply #2)

Thu Dec 13, 2012, 10:30 PM

3. I Dunno... Sounds Like The Prez Was Duped As Well... And YOU Seem To Be Besmirching Her Too...

Jonathan Karl?

QUESTION: Thank you Mr. President. Senator John McCain, and Senator Lindsey Graham both said today that they want to have Watergate-style hearings on the attack on the U.S. consulate in Benghazi, and said that if you nominate Susan Rice to be secretary of State, they will do everything in their power to block her nomination. Senator Graham said, he simply doesnít trust Ambassador Rice after what she said about Benghazi. Iíd like your reaction to that? And -- and would those threats deter you from making a nomination like that?

OBAMA: Well first of all Iím not going to comment on various nominations that Iíll put forward to fill out my cabinet for the second term. Those are things that are still being discussed. But let me say specifically about Susan Rice, she has done exemplary work. She has represented the United States and our interests in the United Nations with skill, and professionalism, and toughness, and grace. As Iíve said before, she made an appearance at the request of the White House in which she gave her best understanding of the intelligence that had been provided to her.

OBAMA: If Senator McCain and Senator Graham, and others want to go after somebody? They should go after me. And Iím happy to have that discussion with them. But for them to go after the U.N. ambassador who had nothing to do with Benghazi? And was simply making a presentation based on intelligence that she had received? And to besmirch her reputation is outrageous. And, you know, weíre after an election now.

I think it is important for us to find out exactly what happened in Benghazi and Iím happy to cooperate in any ways that Congress wants. We have provided every bit of information that we have and we will continue to provide information. And weíve got a full-blown investigation, and all that information will be disgorged to Congress.

And I donít think thereís any debate in this country that when you have four Americans killed, thatís a problem. And weíve got to get to the bottom of it and there needs to be accountability. Weíve got to bring those who carried it out to justice. They wonít get any debate from me on that.

But when they go after the U.N. ambassador, apparently because they think sheís an easy target, then theyíve got a problem with me. And should I choose, if I think that she would be the best person to serve America in the capacity at the State Department, then I will nominate her. Thatís not a determination that Iíve made yet.

Link: http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/president-obamas-news-conference-on-nov-14-2012-running-transcript/2012/11/14/031dfd40-2e7b-11e2-89d4-040c9330702a_print.html

Reply to this post

Response to WillyT (Reply #3)

Thu Dec 13, 2012, 10:38 PM

5. She has a checkered Diplomatic History...stuff in Africa she ignored...her giving the Finger to

another Diplomat and using foul language.

Obama has never liked agressive people like that in his administration. I think it was his decision that she was "out of bounds" and the diplomatic corps found her too harsh and agressive given our new position in winding down these wars.

That's what I've read about it from many sites not just "Common Dreams."

Reply to this post

Response to KoKo (Reply #5)

Thu Dec 13, 2012, 11:44 PM

17. ...And what are those checkered Diplomatic history you speak off? nt

Reply to this post

Thu Dec 13, 2012, 10:30 PM

3. Despite what the Common Dreams Pseudo-Progressives will say

(and, by the way, weren't all these exact same people hating on Rice last week for supporting the Keystone pipeline and "every war since" Jah knows when), the calculus here is very simple: you have the votes in the Senate or you don't. If you don't, you twist and bribe. if you still don't, you cut bait. This isn't complicated.

As it stands, the Common Dreams Pseudo-progressives have been in an absolute rage for weeks because they never got their much anticipated "I Told You So" moment, when Obama would go down to defeat as a one-termer because his progressive base had "abandoned" him. Indeed, the opposite happened: many progressive Democratic constituencies votes even more heavily for Obama in 2012. This leaves the Common Dreams Pseudo-Progressives with a big problem, since their only political leverage lies in some mystical "withdrawal" of the left vote. It didn't happen. So now they're huffing and puffing and looking for any reason to lash out, typical of their petulant characters.

So now it's Susan Rice. Like I said, many of these same clowns were pish-poshing Rice last week for being a - wait for it - "warmonger." But now that it is politically expedient to be all pouty and upset about Rice being a minority woman "abandoned" by the (minority) President they all hate like poison, they take that position. Even the turn-on-a-dime hardcore Stalinists of the 1930's would be amazed by the mental and political gymnastics of our Common Dreams Pseudo-Progressives. Of course, those folks at least had one thing our pseudo-progressives do not: an actual voting constituency. Gymnastics are not that hard in friction free space.

You don't have the votes. Done. That all this is taking place in the context of the tax negotiations seems to have escaped our lefty friends. Could it be that Obama just told the GOP to beat sand on what they considered their last piece of leverage? Time will tell. I will only ay this: given the abysmal predictive record of our Common Dream Pseudo-Progressives, I would take any of their crystal-ball gazing prognoses with Dead Sea sized grain of salt.

Reply to this post

Response to alcibiades_mystery (Reply #3)

Thu Dec 13, 2012, 10:43 PM

8. Excellent Tough Love post. And it could be she just didn't need this in her life... and I hate the

thought that were she representing different "demographics" it would likely have been different. But unfortunately, we've got a long way to go to get to that junction. Carping and sniping, however, won't get us any further down the road.

Reply to this post

Response to alcibiades_mystery (Reply #3)

Thu Dec 13, 2012, 10:48 PM

10. That's quite an attack on "Progressives" in what you say. Many other sites and

even Military Sites have reported on Susan Rice's problems as a "diplomat."

It's more complicated than what you are saying blaming this on Progressives and Common Dreams when many News Sites have reported on Rice's agressive behavior that doesn't go along with Obama's style.

Your whole post blames things on Lefties...when you know that there aren't any Lefties of what you are talking about in the Obama Administration and that Rahm Emmanuel and others in Obama Administration have made sure that what they thought was LEFT in Dem Party were called out and culled out. Even the Left Bloggers had to "shape up" or were cut out of the "inner circle."

I truly feel your anger is misplaced on this.

Reply to this post

Response to KoKo (Reply #10)

Thu Dec 13, 2012, 10:54 PM

11. I am a progressive; I support progressives

I will admit, however, to having a good deal of contempt for Common Dreams Pseudo-Progressives.

I am not blaming anything on Common Dreams Pseudo-Progressives; they are utterly incapable of effecting events. I don't blame anything on Lefties. I am a leftist, and a proud one. I am, rather, mocking the foibles of a group of wannabes.

I am not angry at all. I'm thoroughly amused.

Reply to this post

Response to alcibiades_mystery (Reply #11)

Thu Dec 13, 2012, 11:08 PM

14. You ride quite a "High Horse" in your opinions and in your denial of your opinions which

are plain in both your reply to me and your post above which I replied to.

Whatever floats your boat...but, don't go around calling folks "Pseudo/Common Dreams Prrogressives when there are many news reports from all kinds of sources who have documented Susan Rice's record.

Your apparant disdain for "Common Dreams" is obvious...but, WHY? They are an "aggregate news site" and have links to international, national news. It's not like they are some kind of Left Cabal.

AND..to call them "Pseudo?" They are a small fish in a sea of newsmedia.. So what's your problem with them?

Reply to this post

Response to KoKo (Reply #14)

Thu Dec 13, 2012, 11:13 PM

15. Oh, it's just a moniker for a type

Like you said, whatever floats folks' boat.

I'll call this class of know-nothing Common Dreams Pseudo-Progressives if I like. Have a good one.

Reply to this post

Thu Dec 13, 2012, 10:38 PM

6. Democracy Now! had a great bit on her - as per typical of DN!

http://www.democracynow.org/2012/12/12/beyond_benghazi_partisan_rift_over_susan

She had ties to the Canadian oil pipe and would have sway over this - wonder if Repukes give a rat'sass about that?

$1.5 Million +/-

Reply to this post

Response to upi402 (Reply #6)

Thu Dec 13, 2012, 10:43 PM

7. Well what Democracy Now reported has been reported by other News Sites and it's True.

She would need to recuse herself given the large amount of money she and her Canadian husband have invested in TRP going forward.

It truly is a conflict of interest...whether it's "Blind Trust" or not...she still gets the bill at the end of the year for her and their holdings.

Reply to this post

Response to upi402 (Reply #6)

Thu Dec 13, 2012, 10:45 PM

9. This Cracks Me Up... Somebody Who Is A Close Personal Friend And An Adviser To The President...

Makes an investment in the XL Pipeline...

The President APPROVED of the building of the southern half...

DOES NOT take a genius to see the northern half coming, as building the southern half would make no sense otherwise.

And since when did we hold the D.C. elite, Dem or Rep, to such standards ???

Reply to this post

Response to WillyT (Reply #9)

Thu Dec 13, 2012, 11:01 PM

12. Well...perhaps its time since we Democratic gave this President a Second Term?

Would seem that we who voted for him who read and keep ourselves informed should have a say in things this time around. Would yah think?

Certainly a conflict of interest to me would be her and husband's holdings in TRP would mean she'd need to recuse...but, then....Wall Street folks who had influence in Obama's first four years have gotten a pass so should we have assumed that Rice would recuse herself from the Pipeline/Fracking decisions? Also her past record as being a very aggressive voice that might not be what Obama trusts to not be a renegade as SOS.

In these times...she would have just declared "Blind Trust" and who would question that?

Reply to this post

Thu Dec 13, 2012, 11:01 PM

13. Huge difference - she was never nominated

From all that was written of Rice, that she is tough (a good thing) and ambitious (a good thing) and that she has navigated the FP bureaucracy incredibly well getting to high positions at a relatively young age, if she knew that Obama naming her was a sure thing, she would have gone for it. It may be that she knew that, at minimum, Obama had no intention of naming her quickly and she was fed up with the situation of being attacked without the backing that would come with being nominated.

I also question, if Rice allies and the WP pushed her as the frontrunner when they actually did not know who would be named.

Reply to this post

Thu Dec 13, 2012, 11:40 PM

16. Grotesque false equivalency in the bolded text

Completely undermines the article and its author. People who think both the President and the Republicans were "united" in "looking bad" need to schedule themselves for brain calibration. The President was admirable throughout. The Republicans look simian and small.

Reply to this post

Response to gulliver (Reply #16)

Fri Dec 14, 2012, 12:04 AM

18. Apparently... The Author... An African-American Woman... Disagrees

Psst... She wrote the OP.

Keli Goff is a blogger and political commentator known for her contributions to the Huffington Post and her appearances on various television networks as a political pundit. She has appeared on CNN, the Fox News Channel, the BBC, MSNBC and other networks. She is the author of the book, "Party Crashing: How the Hip-Hop Generation Declared Political Independence" and the novel The GQ Candidate, released in July 2011.

Link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keli_Goff

Reply to this post

Response to WillyT (Reply #18)

Fri Dec 14, 2012, 12:25 AM

19. It's false equivalency nonsense.

Rice wasn't nominated. She was rumored to be under consideration. There was no confirmation from the President or WH. What this flawed handwringing implies is that the President should have gone beyond defending Rice's service. In other words, the President was supposed to let the attacks dictate his actions.

Guinier was formally nominated and being considered in the Senate.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lani_Guinier#Nomination_for_Assistant_Attorney_General

Reply to this post

Response to ProSense (Reply #19)

Fri Dec 14, 2012, 12:38 AM

20. Does Not Matter... Perception... Is EVERYTHING...

Reply to this post

Response to WillyT (Reply #20)

Fri Dec 14, 2012, 12:42 AM

21. No, it isn't

Mitt thought he was winning. The media created the perception that he was winning. Some people on the left even bought into that false reality.

Mitt lost!

Rice wasn't a nominee, Guinier was.

Perception is reality until actual reality slaps you in the face.

Reply to this post

Response to ProSense (Reply #21)

Fri Dec 14, 2012, 12:46 AM

22. If You Say So... But I'm Predicting A Flurry Of Stories About The White House Backdown...

Many from Women's Groups...

I'll be happy to be wrong, but... I see it coming.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread