HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Susan Rice: Why I Withdre...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Thu Dec 13, 2012, 10:05 PM

Susan Rice: Why I Withdrew

Susan Rice: Why I Withdrew

by FiredUpInCA

Susan Rice has written an Op-Ed for the Washington Post explaining her decision to withdraw her name for Secretary of State consideration.

On Thursday I asked that President Obama no longer consider me for the job of secretary of state. I made this decision because it is the right step for this country I love. I have never shied away from a fight for a cause I believe in. But, as it became clear that my potential nomination would spark an enduring partisan battle, I concluded that it would be wrong to allow this debate to continue distracting from urgent national priorities ó creating jobs, growing our economy, addressing our deficit, reforming our immigration system and protecting our national security.

These are the issues that deserve our focus, not a controversy about me.<...>

I grew up in Washington, D.C., and Iíve seen plenty of battles over politics and policy. But a national security appointment, much less a potential one, should never be turned into a political football. There are far bigger issues at stake. So I concluded this distraction has to stop.

This was the right call, for four reasons.

First, my commitment to public service is rooted in the belief that our nationís interests must be put ahead of individual ones. Iíve devoted my life to serving the United States and trying to mend our imperfect world. Thatís where I want to focus my efforts, not on defending myself against baseless political attacks.

<...>

Finally, I have a great job. Itís been my highest honor to serve as U.S. ambassador to the United Nations. Iím proud that President Obama has restored our global stature, refocused on the greatest threats to our security and advanced our values around the world.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/susan-rice-my-withdrawal-from-secretary-of-state-consideration-was-right-call/2012/12/13/ad69b3fc-4578-11e2-9648-a2c323a991d6_story.html

It is very interesting to me how smoothly and professionally Susan Rice has conducted herself during this entire process.

She hasn't lobbied in the press. She took meetings with all the frauds who claimed they came away with more questions after meeting with her.

She formally withdrew with a letter to the President, conducted an interview with Brian Williams and submitted this Op-Ed on the same day.

It is clear that she has been at the Washington game for a while and knows how to push back against idle speculation and 'he said, she said,' well before the Sunday talk shows try to make hay out of it.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/12/13/1169675/-Susan-Rice-Why-I-Withdrew

Obama To Meet With Susan Rice Friday
http://livewire.talkingpointsmemo.com/entry/obama-to-meet-with-susan-rice-friday

14 replies, 933 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 14 replies Author Time Post
Reply Susan Rice: Why I Withdrew (Original post)
ProSense Dec 2012 OP
MannyGoldstein Dec 2012 #1
ProSense Dec 2012 #3
MannyGoldstein Dec 2012 #4
ProSense Dec 2012 #5
MannyGoldstein Dec 2012 #6
DonCoquixote Dec 2012 #2
ann--- Dec 2012 #7
RKP5637 Dec 2012 #8
Isoldeblue Dec 2012 #9
pinto Dec 2012 #10
gulliver Dec 2012 #11
bigtree Dec 2012 #12
politicasista Dec 2012 #13
Liberal_Stalwart71 Dec 2012 #14

Response to ProSense (Original post)

Thu Dec 13, 2012, 10:08 PM

1. Partisan battles are very, very scary

Bipartisan or bust!

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to MannyGoldstein (Reply #1)

Thu Dec 13, 2012, 10:11 PM

3. LOL!

Obama is going to loose!!!

Romney by a landslide!!!

It's a tie!

Reply to this post

Response to ProSense (Reply #3)

Thu Dec 13, 2012, 10:13 PM

4. Did I write those things?

Or is there something that I'm not getting?

Reply to this post

Response to MannyGoldstein (Reply #4)

Thu Dec 13, 2012, 10:16 PM

5. No, you didn't, but

I enjoy reiterating that President Obama won, and the pundit class prognosticating pompous assholes were wrong.

Reply to this post

Response to ProSense (Reply #5)

Thu Dec 13, 2012, 10:26 PM

6. The Reality-Based pundits were right

E.g., the NY Times. Particularly the Firebagger-King himself, Paul Krugman.

Reply to this post

Thu Dec 13, 2012, 10:10 PM

2. I will keep saying it

If she did not expect a fight, and prepare for that fight, she is not who I want in that office, period.

Reply to this post

Thu Dec 13, 2012, 10:45 PM

8. Problem is, they forced this, and know they can do it again. The R's need to be told

to F off, over and over again. Bullies don't stop on their own 'till challenged, and we have a lot of professional bullies in congress. And again I say F them, and kick sand in their face, 'cause that's all they understand. It's unfortunate, but that's what R's are.

Reply to this post

Thu Dec 13, 2012, 10:47 PM

9. This was FERAL politics at it's worst

Rice has more patriotism, dignity and integrity in her little finger than McCain, Graham or Allyoop will ever have in all three of their miserable, self-centered, pointless lives.

I wasn't surprised by her resignation, but I sure am angry and saddened by it. They took her down with lies in a fight that was nowhere fair.

I'd say they were savage, like wolves. But I like wolves. There's understandable and acceptable reason for what motivates their behavior. But what drove those three to act so ugly?

Karma will not be kind....

Reply to this post

Thu Dec 13, 2012, 10:58 PM

10. Class act. Kudos Ambassador Rice.

Third, the American people expect us to come together to keep our nation safe. U.S. leadership abroad is and always has been strengthened when we transcend partisan differences on matters of national security. America is seriously weakened when politics come first. If any good can come out of the experience of the past few months, I hope that it will be a renewed focus on the business of the American people ó and a renewed insistence that the process of selecting potential candidates for high national security office be treated in the best bipartisan traditions of our country.

Reply to this post

Thu Dec 13, 2012, 11:43 PM

11. She's awesome.

We haven't heard the last of her I am sure.

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 14, 2012, 12:00 AM

12. any Obama ally is going to have some republican nut standing in the way

I can see how gracious she is, but that doesn't mean the person chosen is going to avoid all of the things she says she's sidestepping. We could win with Rice. The question was, did the President want to push forward with that choice?

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 14, 2012, 09:41 AM

13. At this point, hope that

she can reconsider.

This whole thing is a mess. Everybody either blaming Obama, bashing Senator Kerry (who should just stay where he is), and angry about everything that has happened.

Reply to this post

Response to politicasista (Reply #13)

Fri Dec 14, 2012, 04:13 PM

14. And notice how none of them are going after Republicans. None of them!

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread