HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » ESPN analyst calls Robert...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Thu Dec 13, 2012, 09:11 PM

ESPN analyst calls Robert Griffin III "cornball brother"

ESPN's Rob Parker wonders if RGIII is 'not one of us'

Rob Parker added a new, unexpected canard to the Robert Griffin III conversation on Thursday morning. In yet another mindless round of conversation on ESPN's "First Take," Parker took up the issue of RGIII, whom the rookie quarterback voted for, and his fiance, who is white.

"Is he a brother, or is he a cornball brother," Parker asked. "I keep hearing these things. We all know he has a white fiancée. There was all this talk about he's a Republican."

Parker's questioning of whether or not RGIII was "one of us" even made Stephen A. Smith a little squeamish. "I'm uncomfortable with where we just went," Smith said.

"Cornball" because of a "white fiancee" and voting for Romney? That's sinking to "N-word lover" status right there. ESPN has condemned Parker's comments as inappropriate and is considering what to do next.

RG3's father has responded.

14 replies, 1857 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread

Response to alp227 (Original post)

Thu Dec 13, 2012, 09:18 PM

1. Turn out the lights, the party's over

at least for this guy. Way over the top, not the least bit defensible.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Thu Dec 13, 2012, 09:20 PM

2. Look, I'm not black, so this may not be my place to say, but

I HATE these divisive, stupid as hell conversations about whether one black person or other is "black enough" (and black enough to whom???), whether he or she is a "race betrayer."

Is there some sort of checklist of what one has to do to be "authentically" black??

Crap like this only gives the other side good fodder.

I'd be happy to hear what my black DU brethren have to say, not about Griffin, but this whole idea of whether someone is "black enough," a "cornball brother," etc., and if or how such should be discussed.

To me, looking in from the outside as only I can, this seems really fruitless.

Reply to this post

Thu Dec 13, 2012, 09:26 PM

3. In 2008, Parker falsely accused Michigan State quarterback Kirk Cousins,

now RGIII's backup in Washington, of being involved in a fight that injured another student. Parker was suspended for two weeks by the Detroit News...He also got into some trouble for a question he asked former Lions coach Rod Marinelli about his daughter; he resigned as a columnist with the paper over those remarks. He once called Hank Aaron a coward, too.

Sounds like another day at the office for him. Well, he's had enough chances; it's time to find out if he's a unemployment statistic, or a cornball unemployment statistic.

rocktivity

Reply to this post

Thu Dec 13, 2012, 09:42 PM

4. Who the player dates has nothing to do with what he is as a person.

He could have met the woman that he is dating well before he became famous and rich. Parker should be taken down, the country don't need that type of blindness.

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 14, 2012, 02:57 AM

5. What to like about RGIII, Luck, and Shaq

All three valued education. RGIII was working on a graduate degree while winning the Heisman. Luck was getting his architecture degree while competing for the Heisman. Shaq went back and got his degree from LSU. None of these men needed to get those degrees, but they did and sent a message that they are taking advantage of their opportunities. I think it is amazing that anyone can get a degree in five years when asked to compete in varsity sports. It is like having a full time job for a semester while going to school. Basketball in particular as it is spread over both semesters.

This idiot really doesn't need to be provided a microphone in the future.

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 14, 2012, 03:09 AM

6. He's just saying what many people feel.

If you think he is the only one, wake the fuck up.

Reply to this post

Response to Zax2me (Reply #6)

Fri Dec 14, 2012, 07:40 AM

8. But why does he (and presumably others) feel that?

Reply to this post

Response to Zax2me (Reply #6)

Fri Dec 14, 2012, 10:41 AM

10. this man is obviously

racist, since he must group every person as having to act a certain way to be considered a real black person. That is just ridiculous, every person who thinks that way is ignorant.

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 14, 2012, 06:01 AM

7. Rob Parker is a self-aggrandizing moron.

He makes Skip Bayless seem respectable.

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 14, 2012, 08:34 AM

9. SMH

Call me cornball I could careless, i love my wife not because she is white, she is just the perfect woman for me even if she was purple. Haters aree going to hate that is just what they do.

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 14, 2012, 10:51 AM

11. I saw that segment and thought the whole discussion went off the rails.

It was based on RGIII's comments that he didn't necessarily want to be compared to all the other black quarterbacks that have preceded him to the NFL. Smith and Parker made it a discussion about RGIII owning his "blackness" and comparing him to Tiger Woods, when the conversation was really about RGIII wanting to be compared to other players regardless of color, IMO. The "cornball" comment I just took as coming from black culture as I had never heard it used before.

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 14, 2012, 12:34 PM

12. Followup: ESPN suspends Rob Parker over racially charged RG3 comments

ESPN has suspended columnist and commentator Rob Parker indefinitely after he made controversial racial comments about Washington Redskins quarterback Robert Griffin III on Thursday.

“Following yesterday’s comments Rob Parker has been suspended until further notice. We are conducting a full review,” ESPN spokesman Mike Soltys said in a statement.

Read the rest at: http://tracking.si.com/2012/12/14/espn-suspends-rob-parker/

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 14, 2012, 12:36 PM

13. RGIII went to Baylor, Kenneth Starr is their Prez, they are Southern Baptist...

He's a fundy.

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 14, 2012, 12:53 PM

14. Parker has long been known to be a hack in the Detroit area

he can't be fired soon enough.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread