HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Well, just finished filin...

Thu Dec 13, 2012, 01:23 AM

Well, just finished filing, and the greed needs to stop

People making nine bucks an hour, even when working full time, for a family of four, are under federal poverty guidelines. It really needs to stop.

Yup, they are offered healthcare, but two thou a year is beyond reach for these workers

Really, the greed needs to stop.

Of course, the upper management type told me, "if they don't like it they can go get a job somewhere else, or start a business"

Yup, he admitted to being a libertarian, but irony meter is broken. He actually said that people should not be dependent on corporations...all for themselves and all that. Care to guess where he works at? The same hospital these low paid workers are picketing.

10 replies, 1344 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 10 replies Author Time Post
Reply Well, just finished filing, and the greed needs to stop (Original post)
nadinbrzezinski Dec 2012 OP
freshwest Dec 2012 #1
nadinbrzezinski Dec 2012 #2
freshwest Dec 2012 #3
nadinbrzezinski Dec 2012 #4
freshwest Dec 2012 #5
nadinbrzezinski Dec 2012 #6
JDPriestly Dec 2012 #7
nadinbrzezinski Dec 2012 #8
billy_j Dec 2012 #9
nadinbrzezinski Dec 2012 #10

Response to nadinbrzezinski (Original post)

Thu Dec 13, 2012, 01:30 AM

1. Good OP. Sounds like this guy needs to learn from this song:

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to freshwest (Reply #1)

Thu Dec 13, 2012, 01:37 AM

2. I just finished writing two stories

The two papers have radically different styles. One, AP, just the facts, the other allows more editorial views.

What is shocking is media was there last time...today I even got some breaking news and the exclusive. I also did a lot of the interviews in Spanish.

But that gentleman, there is also an aspect of undertone racism. We have a lot of that. But I did the math, gross pay is 17,000 and change. Poverty line for a four person family is 23,050.

And what they do is back breaking...and a good functioning hospital depends on them.

Reply to this post

Response to nadinbrzezinski (Reply #2)

Thu Dec 13, 2012, 02:06 AM

3. You know, this stuff about the classless society, we might have been close once, but some want it!

It excuses all they do to other human beings, just like racism. They don't understand what they are doing to themselves at the same time.

There's no media for the workers as there once was, in terms of actors or television. They've painted the working man and woman as stupid and immoral. After a while, some lived down to those role models, and those that don't, still don't get the respect they deserve. It's been part of the disdain for Obama, and I am very sensitive to it.

I saw this superior or regal attitude explode in the Reagan years. I'd say he should rot in hell for his arrogance and deception, but he paid his dues in his later years with his health. But that doesn't seem like the right thing to say.

It must be depressing to hear this kind of sick reasoning this guy was giving you. They feel that it's mainstream after listening to years of Fox, Rush and Boortz. All that contempt and hatred for other people, repeated every single day.

That kind of talk was what some used to say in private, knowing they were being mean spirited. Now the libertarians believe they have a moral duty to stomp on others, per Ayn Rand.

They no longer believe in the work ethic, an honest day's pay for an honest day's work. They regard those people as stupid, and if they have trouble making ends meet on poverty wages, screw 'em.

I've wondered where these guys get the example when we read threads of people abusing others, strangers, in grocery lines. Here is one of the places online where they get it:

Boycott Business who accept Welfare payments

Thirdly, I believe we all need to express disgust with Obama and Democrats in public places. To some extent I already do this. Example:

When I'm at the Wal-mart or grocery story I typically pay with my debit card. On the pad it comes up, "EBT, Debit, Credit, Cash." I make it a point to say loudly to the check-out clerk, "EBT, what is that for?" She inevitably says, "it's government assistance." I respond, "Oh, you mean welfare? Great. I work for a living. I'm paying for my food with my own hard-earned dollars. And other people get their food for free." And I look around with disgust, making sure others in line have heard me.

I am going to step this up. I am going to do far more of this in my life. It's going to be my personal crusade. I hope other libertarians and conservatives will eventually join me.

What I plan to do this week, is to get yard signs made up, at my own expense, that read, "EBT is for Welfare Moochers." I will put the signs out on public property off of the right-of-way so it's entirely legal, in front of every convenience store or grocery store that has a sign out saying "EBT Accepted Here." I may even do some sign waving in front of these stores, holding up my "EBT is for Welfare Moochers," sign, and waving to passers-by.

http://www.libertarianrepublican.net/2012/11/the-end-of-liberty-in-america-only.html

Reply to this post

Response to freshwest (Reply #3)

Thu Dec 13, 2012, 02:12 AM

4. And here I am pointing out to these people

That they qualify for Cal-Fresh. I wish I had the info on me on how to qualify and all that.

We live in a myth. The best part is that idiot would take EBT in a NY second.

Greed, this needs to stop...and the irony is, living wages laws would make EBT almost not needed.

Reply to this post

Response to nadinbrzezinski (Reply #4)

Thu Dec 13, 2012, 02:28 AM

5. That's right. Getting assistance is time consuming, humiliating and uncertain for little payback.

More time spent creating jobs, even if (oh, the horror!!) they are government ones, would be a more efficient use of time and money. It's better than charity, but almost as whimsical when all a person needs is the basics to keep working or just to keep living and at the pleasure of the giver or the legislature in either case. The way humans have been degraded in our country from birth to death for being in circumstances beyond their control, set up against them by those who are in charge, is wasteful and immoral. I wish you'd had that information with you, to give to them, and never forget when talking with those who will listen, that getting 'welfare' is not a moral failing or the person getting it. Rather, it's a moral faillure of the corporation who his getting welfare from the government the poor pay taxes into all year so that they can use subsidized labor. Since thay labor wouldn't survive on what they pay them at all. The shaming needs to be directed back to where it belongs.

Reply to this post

Response to freshwest (Reply #5)

Thu Dec 13, 2012, 02:38 AM

6. These guys and gals got the shaming part

Down pat.

Reply to this post

Thu Dec 13, 2012, 03:07 AM

7. I'd love to have a link to your article on this.

Reply to this post

Response to JDPriestly (Reply #7)

Thu Dec 13, 2012, 03:09 AM

8. Once they run

Two different papers...different styles.

Reply to this post

Thu Dec 13, 2012, 03:32 AM

9. That's why the fight is Not Over!

The Neo Cons are not giving up. This is a fight they will take to their death beds. We must adopt the same attitudes. Republicans and the Neo Con Dems are anticipating and preparing for the non Presidential year low turnout of Democrats to attack everything that we just won in the past Election. It happened in 2010 and they expect the same in 2014.

So the choice we Must make is that we Must work at Hot button issues to keep our supporters coming to the polls. If you read the Right wing press (like I do) they are planning an assault just as big as what they waged against Obama. But we saw what 2 years of preparations did against their Money bombs. We can win again and achieve more.

We must organize even more, and align even more and keep our elected on the path of progressiveness. Republicans want to kick our ass and will lie cheat and steal to do that. I will say it, those Republicans are Son of the Devil spawn.

We must fight like this is for our lives, because it is!

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread