HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Anyone else see the irony...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Wed Dec 12, 2012, 09:17 PM

Anyone else see the irony in Roger Waters singing Money while begging for Money?

Money is evil, but send it in.

life is funny sometimes

hate the corporate world, but they have donated millions

hate the rich, but the rich donate millions

sometimes you gotta laugh at slogans

Do you think those who were devasted hate Mike Bloomberg if he personally helped some of them as he has?

(maybe they should have whoever is still alive in The Temptations at this concert singing
"Ball of Confusion")

btw, if they wanted to really make money-why isn't Taylor Swift and Justin Bieber there?
If each one tweeted their fans to donate as Billy(when did he go bald) Crystal suggested one dollar apiece, just those two fans alone would donate a billion dollars.

But as great as the artists are here, it appears the talent was put together by the same folks who run the Rock Hall of Fame. Who probably have never heard of Taylor Swift to start off with.

(reminds me-remember when We are the World first was recorded, they refused to allow
John Denver come to the recording session, saying he wasn't important.
Yet he only had been doing work to feed the hungry for a decade at that point, him and the late Harry Chapin.) Yet John Denver was shunned, and wasn't allowed to sing on the record.

64 replies, 3633 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 64 replies Author Time Post
Reply Anyone else see the irony in Roger Waters singing Money while begging for Money? (Original post)
graham4anything Dec 2012 OP
babylonsister Dec 2012 #1
mucifer Dec 2012 #2
MrSlayer Dec 2012 #3
graham4anything Dec 2012 #4
Bjorn Against Dec 2012 #5
chelsea0011 Dec 2012 #15
ArnoldLayne Dec 2012 #6
TheKentuckian Dec 2012 #7
Fire Walk With Me Dec 2012 #8
SomethingFishy Dec 2012 #9
graham4anything Dec 2012 #13
SomethingFishy Dec 2012 #16
graham4anything Dec 2012 #18
SomethingFishy Dec 2012 #19
msongs Dec 2012 #20
Terra Alta Dec 2012 #10
proud2BlibKansan Dec 2012 #11
TwilightGardener Dec 2012 #12
graham4anything Dec 2012 #14
beam me up scottie Dec 2012 #38
Bjorn Against Dec 2012 #46
beam me up scottie Dec 2012 #49
graham4anything Dec 2012 #17
Bjorn Against Dec 2012 #21
graham4anything Dec 2012 #23
Bjorn Against Dec 2012 #27
graham4anything Dec 2012 #28
Bjorn Against Dec 2012 #31
graham4anything Dec 2012 #37
Bjorn Against Dec 2012 #40
graham4anything Dec 2012 #45
Bjorn Against Dec 2012 #50
graham4anything Dec 2012 #51
graham4anything Dec 2012 #52
Bjorn Against Dec 2012 #57
graham4anything Dec 2012 #61
beam me up scottie Dec 2012 #53
graham4anything Dec 2012 #60
graham4anything Dec 2012 #29
Bjorn Against Dec 2012 #34
Shankapotomus Dec 2012 #32
mucifer Dec 2012 #22
Lucinda Dec 2012 #24
randome Dec 2012 #25
slackmaster Dec 2012 #26
beam me up scottie Dec 2012 #30
graham4anything Dec 2012 #33
beam me up scottie Dec 2012 #36
graham4anything Dec 2012 #39
beam me up scottie Dec 2012 #41
Bjorn Against Dec 2012 #43
graham4anything Dec 2012 #47
Bjorn Against Dec 2012 #56
graham4anything Dec 2012 #58
Bjorn Against Dec 2012 #62
njcamden_25884 Dec 2012 #35
ArnoldLayne Dec 2012 #42
HuckleB Dec 2012 #44
jonthebru Dec 2012 #48
Berserker Dec 2012 #55
DonCoquixote Dec 2012 #54
tj_crackersnatch Dec 2012 #59
WCGreen Dec 2012 #63
graham4anything Dec 2012 #64

Response to graham4anything (Original post)

Wed Dec 12, 2012, 09:20 PM

1. Duh. It's a concert to raise money for victims of a devastating hurricane.

I thought it was appropriate.

And PS, anytime I can hear a flippin' Pink Floyd song live, I'm really good.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Wed Dec 12, 2012, 09:22 PM

2. Yeah, it's weird. I agree. But, I hope they do raise money and help people.

It's hard for me to criticize them when I'm not out there on the front line either.

Reply to this post

Wed Dec 12, 2012, 09:22 PM

3. John Denver went to congress to stand up for Heavy Metal.

So he's always ok in my book.

Reply to this post

Wed Dec 12, 2012, 09:28 PM

4. Everyone on the show is a ''1%er". Reminds me of the Harry Chapin song "Night made America Famous"

but yet we from the hype are told to hate the 1% and the money

doesn't anyone wonder sometimes...

it all reminds me of (coincidentally enough) a Harry Chapin song

"The Night that Made America Famous" which really forshadowed things about being careful what you think you hate

if only Harry Chapin were here...most likely he wouldn't be allowed to sing on this show either being that the rock hall doesn't see fit to let him in either

Hey, here comes Eric Clapton, remember sitting and burning in the sun that day live in person at Live Aid. Makes me feel old. That was 20 years ago, after first hearing Eric way back when even 20 years earlier than that.

Should we hate them too?

Reply to this post

Wed Dec 12, 2012, 09:28 PM

5. I think you misunderstand Roger Waters

His music is not against money it is against greed, he has always encouraged people to use their money to help others and he has been one of the most charitable celebrities in the world having donated millions of dollars to the less fortunate.

I don't agree that Bieber could raise more money than the classic rock acts, he may top the charts now but there are millions upon millions of long time fans of bands like Pink Floyd, Paul McCartney, Nirvana, and the Rolling Stones and in fact all of those bands are far more popular than Bieber even if they don't have any current singles on the charts. Not only are they more popular, their fans are older and usually have higher incomes than the 12 year olds that listen to Bieber and that allows them to donate more.

Reply to this post

Response to Bjorn Against (Reply #5)

Wed Dec 12, 2012, 09:45 PM

15. Exactly. During "Money", that video of the "Dark Side of the Moon" album on the turntable

goes back to the 1973 tour. They wrote about what money can buy and then say "don't take a slice of my pie". It is all about greed and being against it. And when they toured they poked fun at themselves after Dark Side made them a fortune. I laughed when I saw that album turning back in 1973.

Reply to this post

Wed Dec 12, 2012, 09:30 PM

6. Roger really rocked tonight. But the whole point

is to raise money.

Reply to this post

Wed Dec 12, 2012, 09:32 PM

7. <shakes head in disgust and throws hands up in exasperation>

None are blind as those who refuse to see.

Reply to this post

Wed Dec 12, 2012, 09:35 PM

8. "Charity".

Reply to this post

Wed Dec 12, 2012, 09:36 PM

9. Wow...

Do you see the irony in sitting on your ass in front of your computer screen denigrating someone who is actually out there helping to raise money for people who need it.

It must be a sad existence seeing everything from such a narrow minded perspective.

Crapping on Roger Fucking Waters on a liberal website... PRICELESS.

Oh and by the way, The Wall tour was the highest grossing world tour last year, it carried with it a message of peace, hope and love, while Justin Bieber and Taylor Swift carried a message of "LOOK AT MEEEEEEEEE!"

If you think bringing in "pro tools" and "pitch correction" artists is a good idea then you need to refrain from commenting on music because you are clueless.

Reply to this post

Response to SomethingFishy (Reply #9)

Wed Dec 12, 2012, 09:41 PM

13. Why don't you tell that to my neighbor down the block who still has a tree sticking out of her house

from Sandy.

BTW-
GE
Samsung
Chase
Time-Warner

they are all part of the people giving millions.

Reply to this post

Response to graham4anything (Reply #13)

Wed Dec 12, 2012, 09:45 PM

16. I see so Roger Waters is bad because he's trying to help

raise money to get the tree out of your neighbors house.

Got it.

My uncle lost his house on Point Pleasant. We all have skin in the game. Just not all of us are jerks about it.

Reply to this post

Response to SomethingFishy (Reply #16)

Wed Dec 12, 2012, 09:52 PM

18. No, I am not putting Roger down. I putting down those that hate money & the rich

that is the difference between liberals and progressives

in an earlier thread from today.

Work with, not against

and don't lump everyone together and use code words that are utterly meaningless because not everyone is the same

after all, all we need is love, not hate.

work from within, not against

the difference between liberals and progressives.

Reply to this post

Response to graham4anything (Reply #18)

Wed Dec 12, 2012, 09:57 PM

19. Ok, I didn't see the earlier thread and since I can't read minds

I commented on what you said not what you were thinking. Judging from the other posts in here I'd say I am not alone in thinking you were crapping on Waters.

Plus the song "Money" does not say "hate the rich" if you think it does then you need to listen again.
I also never said hate the rich. I hate the greedy and the selfish.

Money is nothing more than a means to an end. That's what the song says. He's telling you that money did not make him a different person and that while it's nice to be able to afford a "football team" all you really need is to "get a good job with full pay and your ok".

Reply to this post

Response to graham4anything (Reply #18)

Wed Dec 12, 2012, 09:58 PM

20. if all we need is love why are you trying to be divisive re liberals\progressives??? nt

Reply to this post

Wed Dec 12, 2012, 09:38 PM

10. Really???

He's asking for money to help people recover from a natural disaster. Has nothing to do with being evil or greedy.

Reply to this post

Wed Dec 12, 2012, 09:40 PM

12. I always felt bad about that John Denver story.

He was a good guy, and more talented than many who sang on that recording. But Bieber/Swift fans only have allowance money, getting around to your other point.

Reply to this post

Response to TwilightGardener (Reply #12)

Wed Dec 12, 2012, 09:42 PM

14. But their families are rich. Taylor might be President when she is old enough.(and she's a democrat)

Bieber can't be President as he is Canadian.

Reply to this post

Response to graham4anything (Reply #14)

Wed Dec 12, 2012, 10:52 PM

38. And Miley Cyrus can be VP!!!

Reply to this post

Response to beam me up scottie (Reply #38)

Wed Dec 12, 2012, 11:21 PM

46. Actually I don't think that poster would want Miley Cyrus to be VP

Miley Cyrus is a supporter of Occupy and produced a music video to express her support...

Believe it or not that is not a fan made video, it was posted to YouTube by Miley Cyrus herself.

She may not be VP material or a great musician, but I do have to give Miley Cyrus some credit for being willing to take a stand.

Reply to this post

Response to Bjorn Against (Reply #46)

Wed Dec 12, 2012, 11:28 PM

49. That poster thinks being called Yoko Ono is a compliment.

Chronic lack of perspective going on there.

Reply to this post

Wed Dec 12, 2012, 09:48 PM

17. Chelsea Clinton looks great! Soon to again be First daughter. Something that never been done.

I am glad though that all those liking these "older" musicians here won't be hypocrites and think Hillary is too old in Jan. 2017, when she brings Chelsea back to the White House. She is younger than just about everyone singing today.

BTW-Sting and Elton are coincidentally both in Thailand on separate tours, so neither could be here at the show.

and you get me wrong here-
I am not putting anyone down for what they are doing, but those that say we should hate the rich. and the corporations, and hate, hate, hate.

That is the irony my friends.

Reply to this post

Response to graham4anything (Reply #17)

Wed Dec 12, 2012, 09:59 PM

21. Demanding a more fair economic system is not "hating the rich"

Roger Waters does not hate the rich, he is very rich himself and he doesn't try to pretend otherwise. He is very outspoken against greed and corporate abuses, but speaking out against injustice is not hate.

Reply to this post

Response to Bjorn Against (Reply #21)

Wed Dec 12, 2012, 10:04 PM

23. Roger Waters is Mike Bloomberg. Both as private citizens doing their best for humanity.

I hate neither.

Reply to this post

Response to graham4anything (Reply #23)

Wed Dec 12, 2012, 10:23 PM

27. I really don't think Bloomberg and Waters have much in common aside from both being wealthy

Bloomberg will do photo-ops for charity, but he has not spent his career advocating for the less fortunate. Roger Waters has done more for charitable causes than nearly anyone else in the music industry, you will find very few who have donated as much money as he has and on top of his own donations he has raised many millions more through organizing charitable concerts. You should learn more about the guy before you criticize him, even those who don't like his politics would have a difficult time arguing that he has not been an extremely generous and compassionate person.

Reply to this post

Response to Bjorn Against (Reply #27)

Wed Dec 12, 2012, 10:30 PM

28. You really should look into it. Mike Bloomberg has donated billions all to liberal causes. Read up

You yourself should read up before you critize Mike Bloomberg the person.
BILLIONS of his private OWN money.

And I am not putting Roger down. I just commented on the irony and the hatred out there for the rich.

I myself do not hate the rich or the corporations or Wall Street. Money can be good or bad.
It's not absolute and neither am I.

I will post in a second the donations of Mike Bloomberg if you wish.

Every single word you wrote above, applies 10 fold to Bloomberg.

That my friend, is irony.

EVERY SINGLE WORD

Reply to this post

Response to graham4anything (Reply #28)

Wed Dec 12, 2012, 10:36 PM

31. Bloomberg used the force of the NYPD to crush those speaking out for economic fairness

Bloomberg may well have given lots of money, but when you use your police force to stop those who are exercising their free speech rights to protect Wall Street you have lost credibility with me as someone who is fighting for the less fortunate no matter how much you have given.

Reply to this post

Response to Bjorn Against (Reply #31)

Wed Dec 12, 2012, 10:50 PM

37. that was the mayor of NY, not the person. And they broke the law.And the police is themselves

the mayor does not control the police in NY, no one does.
Their 96 hour blue wall of silence proves that.

and ows overstayed their welcome. They should have left a month earlier, regrouped, and not attempted to live on the streets forever.
Big tactical error.

and it matters little if one doesn't like Mike, because he is not running for anything and needs no votes in the future.

and has said he will give away 100% of his money before he is through. And his mom lived to be 100. Plenty of time to come

Long after ows is forgotten, Mike's generosity will live on. (and I have no stake in this, except for seeing all the good he has done.)

btw, long before Current, Bloomberg news was fighting back against the News Group(Murdoch's) rightwing slant on news.

But it's this absolutism which makes me really know liberals are not progressives.
All or nothing is meaningless except for being soundbytes, and the soundbytes get stale
after awhile.

But hey, Roger Daltrey still looks good baring his stomach, and he is 70.
And I wonder if Pete now regrets writing "hope I die before I get old" being that he didn't and he is making millions doing what he did 50 years ago.
Good version of the Tommy songs medley.

Reply to this post

Response to graham4anything (Reply #37)

Wed Dec 12, 2012, 11:00 PM

40. There were lots of people arrested who commited no crime

Hundreds of people were directed onto the Brooklyn Bridge by the police and arrested for marching where the police directed them to march. You may not like Occupy, but we are supposed to have free speech in this country and Bloomberg had hundreds of innocent people arrested because they were standing up to the bankers who are harming the middle class.

When you prevent the people from organizing to improve their economic status then it does not matter how much you donate because repressive policies do mor harm than your charitable donations do good.

Reply to this post

Response to Bjorn Against (Reply #40)

Wed Dec 12, 2012, 11:14 PM

45. Martin Sheen was arrested 100s of times. That is what people do in protests. Get Arrested

it has worked that way for decades

the arrests lead to publicity

I like the new version of them ows2

but like Cindy Sheehan, OWS1 overstayed their welcome and their goal was too vague

Also, the only ones they really affected were the hundreds of thousands of average joes
who work 9 to 5.

the CEO's were not the ones abused. But the regular workers who need their salaries to pay their bills and their own problems. Those were the ones inconvienced when they blocked traffic.

again, a tactical error.

IMHO

and the NYPD arrested the people with the mayor

who in his role as mayor has to abide by what mayors have to abide by with.

(the law).

And no one was killed, but a riot if it occured on the Brooklyn Bridge in rushhour could have killed 1000s.

So what would you do?

At least during his watch, no one was shot 41 or 50 times a piece like happened during the one before.

And at least he is doing something about guns in the streets and about health care. Moving forward.

but I do like OWS2. However, to rebuild the land lost in Sandy, first they have to clear the area and rebuild it quick as possible. Which can only be done if area is cleared and cleaned.
you can't do both.

Working with the system is the way to go IMHO in 2012, as this is not the 60s.

Mayor Lindsay in the 1960s prevented a riot, supported heavily all unions, all people, was more liberal than Bobby was, and more charismatic too, and history unfortunately has not treated him well.
Those after him of course, unfortunately don't apply what he did because of that.

Reply to this post

Response to graham4anything (Reply #45)

Wed Dec 12, 2012, 11:34 PM

50. If you like the work Occupy is doing with Sandy then you should really dislike Bloomberg

Bloomberg has been trying to shut down the hurricane relief efforts of Occupy Sandy, just Google "Bloomberg Occupy Sandy" and you will see numerous links to stories on this. He is so determined to stop Occupy that he is getting in the way of hurricane relief efforts.

As far as your statement about protesters getting arrested, I have protested literally hundreds of times and have never been arrested. We have a basic right as Americans to protest without fear of arrest assuming we do not break any laws. The people who were arrested on the Brooklyn Bridge did not break any laws as video shows the police directing them onto the bridge, if the police direct you to go somewhere you are not breaking any laws when you follow their directions even if it places you in an area in which you would not normally be allowed to be.

There was no threat of a riot on the Brooklyn Bridge so using that as an excuse to arrest hundreds of peaceful demonstrators is absurd.

Reply to this post

Response to Bjorn Against (Reply #50)

Wed Dec 12, 2012, 11:42 PM

51. and they were released shortly after

but i answered the part about Sandy

to allow the rebuilding, first it needs to be cleared

you surely don't want like the WTC after 9-11, the area to be nothing for a decade do you?

It can be rebuilt quick, but first it needs to be cleared.

the Brooklyn Bridge has 3 parts to it, and they were led out of traffic. But they wanted to protest in rushhour traffic.

Protests in the past were short term.
Long term makes no sense. It lost its reason for being

and you can't say the Mayor and the police were not patient. It was months after all.

and it was costing millions in police being needed.

You also have to remember, NYC was what was hit 9-11, and the police in2012 have different things to worry about.

But you do recall what happened at Stonewall don't you? Think alot worse happened back then

but again, that all has nothing to do with the private person Mike.

Reply to this post

Wed Dec 12, 2012, 11:48 PM

52. BTW- don't the millions of other NYC citizens have their own rights that need listening too?

OWS is not the only ones in existence in a vacuum

Reply to this post

Response to graham4anything (Reply #52)

Wed Dec 12, 2012, 11:55 PM

57. I never suggested New York citizens don't have rights

Occupy protesters were not violating the rights of New York citizens however, there is no right to not have to see protesters.

Reply to this post

Response to Bjorn Against (Reply #57)

Thu Dec 13, 2012, 12:28 AM

61. They were on private property and the owners wanted them to leave after months and months

it's like when some relative comes over and asks to spend the night
then comes next week and they are still there

then six months later

same with Cindy Sheehan. It was fine before Katrina. After she overstayed her welcome and ruined the good will she had earned.

Reply to this post

Wed Dec 12, 2012, 11:49 PM

53. You really shouldn't waste anymore of your time.

Unless you need more empty stats, tabloid gossip and a reason to repeatedly thank the researchers who developed Ritalin.

Reply to this post

Response to beam me up scottie (Reply #53)

Thu Dec 13, 2012, 12:25 AM

60. Gotta do something while watching the concert. Wonder who is financing the extra costs

because normally concerts end by 11:59 in NYC

wonder if Harvey is footing the extra costs

(when they say a concert will go on forever, it actually doesn't happen, normally there is a set closing time.)

Reply to this post

Response to graham4anything (Reply #23)

29. Mike Bloomberg the private citizen philanthropy (charity)

http://www.mikebloomberg.com/index.cfm?objectid=B96D19BD-C29C-7CA2-F72C5EDC3BEDFA6A

Mike Bloomberg has always believed in the power of philanthropy to change people's lives for the better. Mike's parents instilled the principles of public service and giving back in him from a young age, and those same principles have guided him throughout his life. That's why he has committed so much of his time, energy and resources to the causes he believes in through Bloomberg Philanthropies.

To date, he has donated more than $2.4 billion to a wide variety of causes and organizations. In 2011, $330 million was distributed by Bloomberg Philanthropies, placing Mike in the top five of The Chronicle of Philanthropy's list of America's top 50 philanthropists.

Bloomberg Philanthropies refers to all of Mike's charitable activities, including his personal giving and the Bloomberg Family Foundation. Bloomberg Philanthropies works primarily to advance five areas globally: the Arts, Education, the Environment, Government Innovation and Public Health.

About these initiatives:

Public Health: Includes an investment of over $600 million in combatting the growing number of deaths caused by non-communicable diseases by reducing global tobacco use; an investment in global road safety and a program in Tanzania to improve Maternal Health.

Environment: Serving as Chair of the C40 Cities Climate Leadership Group, Mike Bloomberg is working with the world’s largest cities to implement climate mitigation programs that will help reduce their green house gas emissions (GHGs); and an investment in the Sierra Club’s Beyond Coal Campaign to help eliminate one-third of the nation’s top polluting coal plants by 2020.

Government Innovation: Includes investments to spread proven and promising ideas between cities, including the Innovation Delivery Team program to help mayors drive bold reform, as well as an investment in New York City’s efforts to improve outcomes for black and Hispanic young men.

Arts: Includes an investment in strengthening NYC arts and cultural organizations, which includes a world-class management training program for our 250 grantees, as well as a recent partnership with New York City tech start-up SeatGeek to make the unique New York cultural arts experience discoverable in a new, dynamic way.

Education: Includes targeted efforts to strengthen leadership within school communities and advance good public policy at the federal, state, and local levels.

Mike Bloomberg continues to be inspired by the generosity of others and hopes to encourage that same spirit of giving, whether it is money or talent or time, just as his parents did for him.

Reply to this post

Response to graham4anything (Reply #29)

Wed Dec 12, 2012, 10:45 PM

34. I would be far more impressed if he had not violently attacked those advocating economic justice

His use of police violence against a movement dedicated to economic fairness makes all his charitable work meaningless to me, what he has done has damaged the poor and middle class of the country far more than his contributions will help.

Reply to this post

Response to graham4anything (Reply #17)

Wed Dec 12, 2012, 10:42 PM

32. Chelsea still lives with her Mom & Dad?

Talk about failure to launch.

Poor Chelsea.

Reply to this post

Wed Dec 12, 2012, 10:00 PM

22. I think they might feel that the baby boomers are more likely to donate big bucks than

the teenie boppers so they brought on the classic rock. I guess to me it's more about "The Robin Hood Foundation" than GE and Chase.

Reply to this post

Wed Dec 12, 2012, 10:09 PM

24. Nope.

Reply to this post

Wed Dec 12, 2012, 10:10 PM

25. Yes, it is ironic. And no, that isn't putting Waters down or anyone trying to help.

It's just...ironic. As you say.

Reply to this post

Wed Dec 12, 2012, 10:14 PM

26. No, I don't see it that way at all

I see a talented artist donating time and work for a good cause.

Eddie Vedder sounded great on Comfortably Numb too.

Reply to this post

30. I wish I had never heard of Taylor Swift...

Reply to this post

Response to beam me up scottie (Reply #30)

Wed Dec 12, 2012, 10:43 PM

33. Remember when the older generation wished that on Elvis, then the Beatles, then Elton,Clash,etc...

Reply to this post

Response to graham4anything (Reply #33)

Wed Dec 12, 2012, 10:48 PM

36. Are you seriously comparing that stupid little twit to the Beatles?

Reply to this post

Response to beam me up scottie (Reply #36)

Wed Dec 12, 2012, 10:57 PM

39. Taylor singlehandedly changed the country music industry methology of charting

she broke the system
used to be 120 handpicked stations airplay solely ranked the country music(out of 5000 or so stations).

Now they rank all streaming, all airplay, all downloads nationwide, regardless of where it is coming from.

And it benefits her mostly, but anyone else who plays the game in 2012 the 2012 way,not the old way

And, coincidentally, just today, she has been called the Yoko Ono of the group One Direction
because this week she is dating harry Styles of One Direction and he is flying private plane 1st class with her, while the others in the 2012 boy band fly coach.
Their fans(they are bigger worldwide than in USA) are calling her Yoko.

As President Obama changed politics, Taylor is changing music

I wouldn't go out of my way to see her, but I bet every single artist on the show would love to get a #1 single in a duet with her.

She plays the game well.
(and it's all a game).

And she and her fans (hopefully all of them democrats) can be very useful as the years go on, if she decides to be political.

Reply to this post

Response to graham4anything (Reply #39)

Wed Dec 12, 2012, 11:07 PM

41. So being an immature little pop diva is JUST like being the first black President?

Do you get paid to be the president of her fan club or is it enough just to smell the scent of Her Awesomeness' perfume as she floats by?

All the free posters you want, maybe?

Reply to this post

Response to graham4anything (Reply #39)

Wed Dec 12, 2012, 11:08 PM

43. So she is changing music based on country music charts and dating a boy band member?

I do not see Taylor Swift changing music, what new sounds has she produced that are significantly different from what we have heard in the past?

If you think Taylor Swift is ever going to be considered in the same league as The Beatles you are crazy, if you think she is going to be President you are even more crazy.

Reply to this post

Response to Bjorn Against (Reply #43)

Wed Dec 12, 2012, 11:22 PM

47. Actually, Lana Del Rey is 100 times better, and more creative than Taylor...too creative to be mega

but it was John Lennon that made the Beatles immortal.
Paul wrote silly love songs, John made the Beatles what they remain

but all rock and roll is based on prior music in the past.

Bach especially. And the other classic artists.

Most entertainers don't become politicians

I am saying she has the new media to become a political force should she wish too.
Most likely she won't.

But then crazier things happen. After all, Ashley Judd is thinking of running for Senate in Kentucky. Who would have thought that. Especially in the phony world of show biz, especially in her mother and sister, both who created a name and imagine for themelves that is 100% story.
Yet Ashley might be Senator.

And who would have thought Al Franken of all people would have the ability to adapt to a system that works so slow and methodical?
The same Al Franken that got Al Gore on TV to not run in 2004 in that SNL skit.

And then there is Ronnie Reagan

Can you honestly say Taylor is less a force than Ronald Reagan was when he made Bedtime for Bonzo?

Now if Lana Del Rey were only a mega superstar instead of Taylor.
and no, I am not a big fan of Taylor's. But one doesn't have to be a fan to admire what someone has done.

Remember, the country music industry is the most conservative media in America.
Yet a teenager changed it. (and a democrat to boot)(though don't tell them).

Reply to this post

Response to graham4anything (Reply #47)

Wed Dec 12, 2012, 11:52 PM

56. And how did electing the star of Bedtime for Bozo work for us?

Granted Taylor Swift would probably be a better President than Reagan, but that is not because Swift is in any way qualified but rather because Reagan was pure evil while Taylor Swift is just substanceless.

Taylor Swift is not Ashley Judd. Ashley Judd has a Master's degree in Public Administration from Harvard and experience in international diplomacy through the non-profits she has worked for. Judd is far more qualified than most celebrities would be because she is not just an actress but also a long-time political activist with a solid educational background. Taylor Swift does not have credentials like Ashley Judd does.

Reply to this post

Response to Bjorn Against (Reply #56)

Thu Dec 13, 2012, 12:12 AM

58. Age is important. The older folks have more knowledge. That is why I like Hillary45.

But I bet Taylor has more worldwide base than most people in any field.
If harnessed, there could be alot of positive power there

She probably could instantly mobilize a million people worldwide

it shouldn't be a Taylor vs. Ashley
what if the two worked together?

Reply to this post

Response to graham4anything (Reply #58)

Thu Dec 13, 2012, 12:29 AM

62. Why the hell would we want Taylor Swift writing our laws when she can't even write a song?

Seriously name one issue that Taylor Swift has clearly articulated a compelling position on, just one issue. The idea that she could be President is ridiculous.

You clearly have low standards in politicians if you like Bloomberg and think Taylor Swift would make a good President.

Reply to this post

Wed Dec 12, 2012, 10:47 PM

35. oh ffs!

come on already..

Reply to this post

Wed Dec 12, 2012, 11:08 PM

42. K&R for The Man Roger Waters.

Reply to this post

Wed Dec 12, 2012, 11:09 PM

44. Well, Chase is the main sponsor.

Reply to this post

Wed Dec 12, 2012, 11:23 PM

48. Give it a frickin' break.

I don't even read your selfish posts anymore. If you can't get behind the need to raise money to help a very important part of our country recover from a natural disaster, keep it to yourself. Take a break, go for a walk, take a bath, smoke a joint, do something you would like. Just cease in bringing down everybody else to your depressed level.

Reply to this post

Response to jonthebru (Reply #48)

Wed Dec 12, 2012, 11:51 PM

55. YES

+10,000,000,000,000,000,

Reply to this post

Wed Dec 12, 2012, 11:50 PM

54. Ok, first off, watch this on you tube

Yes, it has salty language, but it talks about the difference between a few performers who have money, and the real WEALTH that runs the world.

Choice quotes "If Bill gates woke up and only has as much money as Oprah Winfrey, he would jump out a window."

Why do I say this? because the gap between the rich and poor has grown so huge, that even the celebrities: millionaires/petit bourgeoisie/athletes whatever, do not even come close to having the sheer billion dollar wealth it takes to secure power.

You can take all the royalty of rock there, even Sir Paul himself, and they are all just corporate assets like everyone else. The reason they appeal to the world on television is that the only hope in hell of defeating big fish is nothing less than millions of little fish mobilizing.

So, do I get annoyed at Rock stars, sometimes, especially when someone like Bono begs for money, then moves his assets to Holland for lower taxes, but anything that not only raises money, just as important, raises AWARENESS, that is worthwhile, especially because we know that if the powers that be had their way, we would have forgotten Sandy by now.

Reply to this post

Thu Dec 13, 2012, 12:22 AM

59. what a load of codswallop

What's all this mental masturbation about "irony" and liberals hating the rich, while you're defending Bloomberg but undermining the musicians donating their time, talent to a worthy cause and then you meander along to make the mental leap as to actually compare Taylor Swift to Ronald Reagan?

What a hoot. I'll check later to see where your word salad leads you. Then maybe we can have a chat about a bridge to nowhere.

Irony indeed.

Reply to this post

Thu Dec 13, 2012, 12:33 AM

63. Waters wrote this because of money issues inside the band....

All the people that were coming out of the woodwork to get a piece of their earnings and to bitch about the high tax rates in Great Briton.

That's what I remember from the explanation I read years ago.

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 14, 2012, 09:24 AM

64. I gotta laugh at some of the responses to just a statement of fact- it is ironic!

But when the conversation delved to Taylor Swift, it made me forget something

people said well, no way she could be compared to the Beatles.

No one claimed she was better than the Beatles

however, it was not until 1966, 1967,1968, 1969, 1970 that the Beatles changed the world forever
and became immortal.

If one recalls 1963-1964-and then it was just
She loves you ya ya ya
I wanna hold your hand
and other cooing, girl screaming fans songs

The mention of Taylor was in her millions of fans, her social media, and how this very young artist revolutionized the way the most conservative music market does things, in a market that historically in the past, you had to be over 30 to be heard, and the lyrics required one being a bit older so that one lived the life of a country song.

But it is ironic and all that.

What is also ironic is the,ah, well that is for another day, another thread

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread