HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Guilty plea for son of U....

Wed Dec 12, 2012, 04:19 PM

Guilty plea for son of U.S. Rep. Moran in assault case

The son of U.S. Rep. James P. Moran pleaded guilty Wednesday to an assault on his girlfriend in front of a Northwest D.C. nightspot on Dec. 1.

Patrick B. Moran, 23, of Arlington, pleaded guilty to one count of simple assault, a misdeameanor. D.C. Superior Court Magistrate Judge Frederick Sullivan gave Moran a suspended jail sentence of 90 days and one year of probation.

Moran was also ordered to complete 50 hours of community service and domestic violence counseling, and not to “threaten, harass or assault” the woman as a condition of his probation, court records say.

A police officer saw Moran grab a woman by the back of her head and slam it into a trash can at about 1:23 a.m. in front of a nightclub called The Getaway in Columbia Heights, according to court documents.

(...)

Moran was initially charged with assault with significant bodily injury, a felony. The woman was bleeding “heavily” from her nose; according to court records; her nose and right eye were “extremely” swollen. The woman was taken to a hospital, and a paramedic told police her nose appeared swollen and her right eye socket was fractured.

According to a statement from a spokesman for Moran (D-Va.): “The Congressman strongly condemns domestic violence. As was stated in court by both his son Patrick and his girlfriend ... the situation was an accident.

full: http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/crime/guilty-plea-for-son-of-us-rep-moran-in-assault-case/2012/12/12/6c7165a6-4489-11e2-8061-253bccfc7532_story.html

Whoa whoa. Slamming a woman's head into a trash can=community service, probation, and a suspended sentence? And in plain sight of a police officer? Am I missing something here?

I wonder if your son (not that he'd ever do such a thing but still) ever were convicted of doing such a thing would get a slap on the wrist like this.

Until he straightens himself out, Moran shouldn't put his name in the political scene.

Jim Moran's district (VA-8) includes Arlington and Alexandria. The homes of the National Cemetery, PBS, and the right-wing Media Research Center.

10 replies, 751 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 10 replies Author Time Post
Reply Guilty plea for son of U.S. Rep. Moran in assault case (Original post)
alp227 Dec 2012 OP
1StrongBlackMan Dec 2012 #1
alp227 Dec 2012 #3
BainsBane Dec 2012 #5
1StrongBlackMan Dec 2012 #8
BainsBane Dec 2012 #9
1StrongBlackMan Dec 2012 #10
Rex Dec 2012 #2
sadbear Dec 2012 #4
frazzled Dec 2012 #6
MountainLaurel Dec 2012 #7

Response to alp227 (Original post)

Wed Dec 12, 2012, 04:22 PM

1. No ...

Being the son of a U.S. Representative and slamming a woman's head into a trash can, in plain sight of a police officer=community service, probation, and a suspended sentence? For just about everyone else, that prison time.

Besides, you're neglecting the most harsh terms of his sentence ... he must seek DV counseling and he promised not to “threaten, harass or assault” the woman, again. That makes all the difference, you know.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to 1StrongBlackMan (Reply #1)

Wed Dec 12, 2012, 04:25 PM

3. And had the cop not been there, Patrick would be a free man in 24 hours!

Reply to this post

Response to 1StrongBlackMan (Reply #1)

Wed Dec 12, 2012, 04:30 PM

5. the next woman he beats will be so grateful

that he underwent counseling. Give me a break.

Reply to this post

Response to BainsBane (Reply #5)

Wed Dec 12, 2012, 04:59 PM

8. I guess ...

I should'a put the "sarcasm" thingy after my comment.

Reply to this post

Response to 1StrongBlackMan (Reply #8)

Wed Dec 12, 2012, 05:03 PM

9. I understood

and my post wasn't meant as a criticism of yours. I was just adding to your point.

Reply to this post

Response to BainsBane (Reply #9)

Wed Dec 12, 2012, 05:20 PM

10. Okay ...

I guess I'm a bit "sensitive", since I've found myself on the "wrong side" of many a discussion of late.

Reply to this post

Wed Dec 12, 2012, 04:25 PM

2. Plutocracies work that way.

nt.

Reply to this post

Wed Dec 12, 2012, 04:26 PM

4. Get a brain...

Reply to this post

Wed Dec 12, 2012, 04:47 PM

6. Same kid who had to resign

from his father's campaign because of caught-on-video plans for voter fraud. Stupid AND mean.

I can't believe they gave him probation. They'd better get this young man some serious help. Bashing a woman's head until her eye socket is fractured is serious stuff.

Reply to this post

Wed Dec 12, 2012, 04:52 PM

7. Not surprising -- Moran Sr. had some similar issues

Back in the late 90s/early 2000s -- his young daughter called police one night because he was hitting his wife.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread