HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Time to be critical of Un...

Wed Dec 12, 2012, 01:01 PM

Time to be critical of Unions.

What? I can hear you know.

The Unions do suck in one critical respect...they really suck at telling their story. It is time for all these powerful labor leaders to have a moment of reflection...why is is that even our members don't know what we do?

Well, part of it is that Unions suck at internal communications and keeping workers "in the know." They also suck at telling it's members and those outside the Union what working life was before the Union.

Oh and one last thing...they are not fighting for the elite construct of middle class...let's make that crystal clear. And buying into that, and being good loyal soldiers during the Cold War got you nothing. What unions fight for, whether it's teachers, linemen, industrial workers or janitors..is the working class.

It is high time labor gets it...it is war, it is class...and time to talk in those exact terms.

Where can they start?

Damn it, you got no idea how many locals DO NOT even have a newsletter. Yup, we have more than a few labor leaders that love to operate in the shadows. For god sakes, I could recommend a few things. A Posterous blog, a word press blog, even a Facebook page could work as one. But they simply don't want to do that, and then wonder why rank and file "hates the union and thinks the union is just taking my money."

Let's be honest here, they got cause. They see nothing in the form of real communications and some local leaders suck at getting any criticism from their members and will retaliate. Yup, they were elected, but act as petit-dictators. This has to stop...

Unions also need to find friendly press and expand from there. Realize that most local reporters, if you are good to them, should start to change how labor is covered. Average pay is $35,000. But the beauty queens on national TV, on purpose they have no identification with working people.

Speaking of press...time to recreate the great labor presses of the past.

In other words, labor needs to remember the past, and remember that the great labor struggle of the past included telling people why things were done. Relying on the corporate press is like asking Colonel Sanders to like chickens, well, beyond the fryer that is.

8 replies, 873 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 8 replies Author Time Post
Reply Time to be critical of Unions. (Original post)
nadinbrzezinski Dec 2012 OP
MrYikes Dec 2012 #1
nadinbrzezinski Dec 2012 #2
MrYikes Dec 2012 #4
nadinbrzezinski Dec 2012 #5
MrYikes Dec 2012 #7
nadinbrzezinski Dec 2012 #8
Dyedinthewoolliberal Dec 2012 #3
nadinbrzezinski Dec 2012 #6

Response to nadinbrzezinski (Original post)

Wed Dec 12, 2012, 01:26 PM

1. Yeah, I um don't seem to know where the union forum is.

I mean they each have a forum, right? I mean it takes 5 minutes and no money to set one up, so each local at least, has a forum, right?

Whadda ya mean no. ugh.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to MrYikes (Reply #1)

Wed Dec 12, 2012, 01:38 PM

2. Yup

Part of the problem is lack of technical skills.

I offered my local, well hubby's local...to code a web page for them. I had dreamweaver at the time and could do it in a day.

All they needed to do was maintain it.

I mean code it for free.

They are *still* looking for a contractor to do that...been six years. They could be up and running in ten minutes flat with posterous. Wordpress is a little more tricky, still finding my way around it. But posterous takes ten minutes.

So I had to conclude...shadows is the preferred modus operandi, and the meeting is quite useless too.

Reply to this post

Response to nadinbrzezinski (Reply #2)

Wed Dec 12, 2012, 01:55 PM

4. and that is why I believe we are done with unions.

Something needs to take the place of what is called unions.

My thought would be a collection of workers that were dedicated to buying the business. I see it possible by taking a small amount out of each paycheck. I don't see it as being easy but for America to continue I think we must take over.

But Lordy I would hate to be the union rep at that place.

Reply to this post

Response to MrYikes (Reply #4)

Wed Dec 12, 2012, 02:12 PM

5. No, we are not done with unions

And workers could not buy Walmart.

All large organizations have their warts...all do.

So what needs to happen is people demanding more from within, not taking no, it might even take two to three elections...by the way to "clean house" and people need to remain vigilant.

Reply to this post

Response to nadinbrzezinski (Reply #5)

Wed Dec 12, 2012, 03:11 PM

7. I understand what you are saying,

but I think I'll stay with my beliefs until proven wrong.

aaaannnddd, if every American worker chipped in a dollar a week, how many weeks would it take to become the majority stockholder of Walmart? We're not in any hurry.

Reply to this post

Response to MrYikes (Reply #7)

Wed Dec 12, 2012, 09:37 PM

8. The business that are employee owned, they exist

Are run as Unions...because shit, they are.

Reply to this post

Response to nadinbrzezinski (Original post)

Wed Dec 12, 2012, 01:48 PM

3. You are absolutely correct

Unions need to throw their money together and take a page out of corporate America's book by hiring a high end PR firm to tell the story!
If you stop 10 people on the street most of them would either have a negative or neutral opinion on unionism..........

Reply to this post

Response to Dyedinthewoolliberal (Reply #3)

Wed Dec 12, 2012, 02:13 PM

6. They need more than PR

But that would be a good start.

On the local level, unions need to accept criticism and open posterous accounts.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread