HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Aerial shot of 1,000's ra...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Tue Dec 11, 2012, 01:28 PM

Aerial shot of 1,000's rallying outside Michigan Capitol

The Nation ‏@thenation

RT @allisonkilkenny: RT @daneyvilla: Aerial shot of 1,000's rallying outside Michigan Capitol http://twitpic.com/bl29ji

21 replies, 2855 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 21 replies Author Time Post
Reply Aerial shot of 1,000's rallying outside Michigan Capitol (Original post)
bigtree Dec 2012 OP
OffWithTheirHeads Dec 2012 #1
handmade34 Dec 2012 #2
bigtree Dec 2012 #4
chicago guy Dec 2012 #3
bigtree Dec 2012 #5
chicago guy Dec 2012 #7
bigtree Dec 2012 #13
1gobluedem Dec 2012 #6
livingonearth Dec 2012 #11
sabrina 1 Dec 2012 #20
Cha Dec 2012 #8
HiPointDem Dec 2012 #9
kimbutgar Dec 2012 #10
woo me with science Dec 2012 #12
bigtree Dec 2012 #14
Ellipsis Dec 2012 #15
woo me with science Dec 2012 #16
bigtree Dec 2012 #19
sabrina 1 Dec 2012 #21
Liberal_in_LA Dec 2012 #17
one_voice Dec 2012 #18

Response to bigtree (Original post)

Tue Dec 11, 2012, 02:12 PM

1. Call me when it looks like this!

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Tue Dec 11, 2012, 02:18 PM

2. good to see... would be there if I could

It is good to stand up against injustice and immorality... I was there in 1970 on another cause

(Photos by Bruce Cornelius from the CADL website)

/image

/image

/image_preview

Reply to this post

Response to handmade34 (Reply #2)

Tue Dec 11, 2012, 03:06 PM

4. awesome pics

thanks for posting

Reply to this post

Tue Dec 11, 2012, 02:51 PM

3. What is our next ACTION

American Labor needs to end this now. The day this law is signed every union member nation wide needs to walk off the job and picket until the law is rescinded. If we do not stick together we are finished.

Reply to this post

Response to chicago guy (Reply #3)

Tue Dec 11, 2012, 03:09 PM

5. I think this lame duck congress of theirs which passed this thing isn't going to be influential

. . . and the best thing to do is to press the new Congress there to overturn the nonsense. There might be something the national Congress can do, but, for now, we have to fight these battles state by state -- and in the courts; case by case.

Reply to this post

Response to bigtree (Reply #5)

Tue Dec 11, 2012, 03:54 PM

7. Wrong

We sat by when Regan fired the air traffic controllers!!!!!!! We have been taking in the A$$ ever since that day

Reply to this post

Response to chicago guy (Reply #7)

Tue Dec 11, 2012, 05:30 PM

13. the state legislature

not enough votes in the new Mich legislature to maintain the law, I think.

Reply to this post

Tue Dec 11, 2012, 03:54 PM

6. Lame duck legislatures shouldn't be allowed to introduce new legislation

Just wrap up what's already been introduced.

Reply to this post

Response to 1gobluedem (Reply #6)

Tue Dec 11, 2012, 04:22 PM

11. I'm with you on that idea.

It's like letting someone who lost a fight have one final punch.

Reply to this post

Response to 1gobluedem (Reply #6)

Tue Dec 11, 2012, 11:05 PM

20. I agree. I don't understand it. The people spoke and the new Congress should deal with any

new legislation.

Reply to this post

Tue Dec 11, 2012, 04:00 PM

8. Thank you for the pic, bigtree

Reply to this post

Tue Dec 11, 2012, 04:04 PM

9. kick

Reply to this post

Tue Dec 11, 2012, 04:22 PM

10. So much for the will of the people

Every Michigander should remember this day and vote on election day in 2014 and vote as many of these creeps out if up for re-election. They and us can't afford to sit out in November. Karl Rove is already getting ready for 2014 are you? We need a massive grass roots organization to expand our methods and go into dark red republican areas and educate the people.

Reply to this post

Tue Dec 11, 2012, 04:23 PM

12. Can you get a close-up on the pepper spray assaults?

Are pepper spray assaults something that people who choose to protest now in this country should expect from our government? Has the President commented on that yet?

Reply to this post

Response to woo me with science (Reply #12)

Tue Dec 11, 2012, 05:45 PM

14. why don't you find a close-up?

poking around my posts isn't getting it done.

Can you build and maintain a post of your own? Seems like you're always just skulking around other folks' digging at the WH. What a pathetic waste of energy. It's boring and annoying; but mostly just uninformative and banal. I think that's the worst thing -- it's not that you want to prove that you're some kind of progressive hero for taking swipes at the WH in posts like this at every opportunity -- it's that it does almost nothing to lead anyone to anything substantive or factual.

So, go and make you own post. Find your own close-up. What you won't find from these union protestors are folks using this opportunity and this action to mindlessly rag on the President. You have to wonder just what the fuck your motivation really is. I personally don't think you give a damn about the protestors.

Reply to this post

Response to bigtree (Reply #14)

Tue Dec 11, 2012, 06:17 PM

16. I make many posts, bigtree. You know that.

You want to know what my motivation is? To stop this country's march into a police state.

Why on earth did we have coordinated national assaults on OWS protesters, under a Democratic administration? Why is absolutely nothing being said about the fact that protest in this country is now *routinely* met with government violence?

I would hope that a Democratic President would have some concern, and, yes, outrage, over what seems to be becoming a routine problem, right here in the United States of America.

Keep trying to make it personal. I will keep posting about what is happening in and to this country and drawing attention to the deafening silence about it from those who claim to support the protests but cannot seem to be bothered that Americans who choose to participate can now expect a government assault.

Reply to this post

Response to woo me with science (Reply #16)

Tue Dec 11, 2012, 11:02 PM

19. what could be more 'personal' than picking at Obama supporters at every opportunity?

Here we are in a thread which has almost zero to do with President Obama, who has repeatedly expressed solidarity with protestors; just yesterday, in fact.

I can see you on the Mich capitol steps now, railing on and on about Obama to these folks focused on Snyder and the Mich legislature. That's what you're like in this thread. Just a troublemaker; not seriously focused on the issue and action at hand; just stirring shit and detracting from the purpose of the protest; not much unlike ANY disruptor. I can just see you in one of these folks' face -- the face of an Obama supporter there -- prattling on and on about your divisive nonsense. The pathetic thing is that you think it looks like activism. It's not; it's just annoying and disrupting to folks taking their precious time to make a real on the ground difference.

Here we are with the President standing tall in our corner and here you are working to tear at that support. I have to wonder just what your motivation really is. I have to question your priorities. Whatever you think you're doing is delusional. It's counterproductive, in this case and others. It's self-defeating, but, I do imagine you actually know that.

You know what we do to troublemakers and disruptors in our union hall? We show them the door; and not the front door where our real membership and support is welcome.

Reply to this post

Response to woo me with science (Reply #16)

Tue Dec 11, 2012, 11:12 PM

21. Exactly. The accceptance on the brutal and violent, coordinated assaults by armed

Robo Cops on those peaceful protesters, should have had the whole country up in arms.

The excuses made right here, with people posting isolated incidents of groups that were not even part of OWS, was a defense of those criminal acts. The past few years have opened my eyes regarding our side.

We get the government we deserve. And when a few courageous people try to do something to stop the Corporate takeover of this country and are met with military style resistance, and even Democrats remain silent, despite calls from the UN Rappateur, I saw what happened right here on DU.

And so it continues and until it affects people personally, and by then it will be too late, the silence is deafening.

Reply to this post

Tue Dec 11, 2012, 06:49 PM

17. nice crowd

Reply to this post

Tue Dec 11, 2012, 06:50 PM

18. K&R

Reply to this post