HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Cards of Compassion Proje...

Tue Dec 11, 2012, 10:52 AM

Cards of Compassion Project (updated re: Newtown)

You can read about the general project idea below, but here is something small you, and your family, may want to do to reach out to the Newtown Community:

If anyone wants to mail sympathy cards or letters of support and solidarity to the school and the community, the school address is:

Sandy Hook Elementary School, 12 Dickenson Drive, Sandy Hook, CT 06482

Sending a card is something small but at least it's something we can do to let them know they're in our thoughts, even after the news coverage subsides.

(I thought some DUers may be interested in this project. )

When a community member asked that we share a request from one of her friends, a mom whose 15-year-old son will be in the hospital over the holidays, it gave me an idea: Why not start a Cards for Compassion Project that lasts all year long, with Wishadoo! community members adding to the requests as they are needed?

The holidays are often extra challenging and sad for anyone who is in the hospital, nursing home, homebound for any reason, or simply AWAY from home for any reason. But what if we kept such a program going all year long? Community members could post verified requests (being careful not to give out too much personal information, since Wishadoo! is a public site) of individuals and families who would appreciate knowing they're not alone and that someone is thinking of them and wishing them well.

This project would also help the US Post Office by adding more old-fashioned mail for delivery all year long!

Please read more HERE.

Check out the new video!

ABOUT WISHADOO!: Anyone is welcome to use the tools at Wishadoo, so long as the Terms of Service are adhered to (basically "play nice" and don't lie). This includes creating posts in the Wishlist, a "craigslist of compassion." Most of us are struggling with one thing or another, and as you'll see, there are many categories in the Wishlist to cover a variety of issues/needs.

Wishadoo! is a comprehensive portal providing tools, resources and inspiration to connect, help/be helped, and cultivate compassion, cooperation and authentic community in myriad ways, online and in our own "backyards." Wishadoo!'s tools have been designed to integrate and be of service to all sectors of community: individuals, neighborhoods, schools, organizations and businesses.

The Wishlist is where we can ask, offer, give, receive and pay it forward. If you create a Wishlist post, let me know your DU name, and I can start to do weekly or biweekly threads such as this to highlight DUers' needs and offerings.

Any contributions to Wishadoo! goes toward the cost of maintaining the site, NOT toward any Wishlist posts. That takes place one on one, between Wishadoo! members. If you are able to help with costs to keep the site going, we all appreciate your generosity tremendously.

MANY, MANY thanks to those who have already
helped support Wishadoo! in various ways!

4 replies, 720 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 4 replies Author Time Post
Reply Cards of Compassion Project (updated re: Newtown) (Original post)
OneGrassRoot Dec 2012 OP
midnight Dec 2012 #1
Sienna86 Dec 2012 #2
Fire Walk With Me Dec 2012 #3
OneGrassRoot Dec 2012 #4

Response to OneGrassRoot (Original post)

Tue Dec 11, 2012, 01:35 PM

1. K&R

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Tue Dec 11, 2012, 05:10 PM

2. It's a wonderful idea

It's an easy way to extend a kindness.

Reply to this post

Thu Dec 13, 2012, 01:41 AM

3. K&R!

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 14, 2012, 05:57 PM

4. Update re: Newtown. n/t

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread